Wednesday, May 04, 2022

As abortion bans proliferate in states around the US, some state legislatures are likely to go even further than just ending abortion in their jurisdictions " taking aim at the growing numbers of people seeking procedures and medications out of state, experts warn.

Comments

This is why GOP Senators are already talking about a federal ban on abortions:

If, as the bombshell leak of its private vote suggests, the supreme court weakens or overturns Roe v Wade " the 1973 decision that established a constitutional right to abortion " in an upcoming decision on Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban, states will be left with a confusing patchwork of laws that will probably lead to legal challenges.

A fresh wave of restrictions will probably center around patients who leave their state to obtain legal abortions in other states, or who order medications to manage their abortions at home.

Lawmakers in Missouri weighed legislation early this year that would allow individuals to sue anyone helping a patient cross state lines for an abortion. The law was ultimately blocked in the state's legislature, but experts expect such legislation to gain more support if Roe is weakened or overturned.

"I think states are not going to rest with just saying there won't be abortions in our state.' I think they're going to want to ban abortion for their citizens as much as they can, which would mean stopping them from traveling," said David Cohen, professor at Drexel University's Kline School of Law and lead author of a forthcoming article on cross-state legal issues that could arise in the abortion context.

"We're going to see state-against-state battles that are really going to divide this country even deeper on this issue," he said.

This is unconscionable to me. I hate the Republican party--its voters, its politicians, its judges--who support this evil of pushing their religious values and beliefs on the rest of us through what looks to be evermore draconian measures.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-05-04 04:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

But they're not Nazis.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2022-05-04 04:59 PM | Reply

"Show me your papers"

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-05-04 05:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

All in the name of "freedom"

#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-05-04 05:22 PM | Reply

No Right To Privacy.
No Right To Travel.

That's called prison.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-05-04 05:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The usual asshats who cry "get government out of our lives" just crammed the government into every American vagina of birthing age

Way to go, jackass's
I'm sure it will win you votes

#6 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-05-04 05:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If Blue states can't keep guns out do red states really think they can keep women in?

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2022-05-04 06:19 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY TOR AT

The South used to track down runway slaves.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2022-05-04 06:36 PM | Reply

slaves were "property" women aren't.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2022-05-04 06:55 PM | Reply

Not only have some states played around with the idea of making it a crime for a woman to leave the state to have an abortion, but they also have come up with the idea of making it a crime for someone to assist her in doing so. That means partners, family members and friends who accompany the woman can also be charged. Then there is the issue of authorities questioning if a miscarriage is really a miscarriage or an attempted abortion, and women are starting to consider the repercussions:

10-15% of all pregnancies end in a miscarriage. How many women are going to be considered criminals for something that they can't control? Don't announce your pregnancy. Get off of any app to track your periods. Technology & social media isn't your friend rn.
twitter.com

I'm hearing a lot about folks deleting their period tracker apps given recent developments, due to the fact many users aren't sure how their data's being used, stored & shared (or know it's being used/shared in problematic ways). Is there a tracker app that's "safe" data-wise?
twitter.com

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-05-04 07:29 PM | Reply

Anyone accusing a woman of having an abortion when she had a miscarriage is likely going to get killed by her husband.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2022-05-04 07:58 PM | Reply

slaves were "property" women aren't.

#9 | POSTED BY TOR A

I'll have to verify that with Republican policy

#12 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-05-04 07:59 PM | Reply

I can only relate an example from my own life. We had a miscarriage at 14 weeks that nearly cost my wife her life. Given the specifics of how it played out it could definitely have been interpreted as an at-home abortion-if we lived in a -------- state. I can only imagine the compounded pain we would have gone through if we had the abortion police show up at our door. I probably would have punched someone.

that nightmare is going to be reality for people.

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-05-04 08:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

About 10 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. But the actual number is likely higher because many miscarriages occur very early in pregnancy - before you might even know about a pregnancy.

www.mayoclinic.org

We're heading to a hellacious dystopia if abortion is banned.

#14 | Posted by tonyroma at 2022-05-04 08:11 PM | Reply

I was listening to my local public radio station this morning, and during a segment on Alito's draft ruling, one of the commentators mentioned how devastating this ruling will be on women in the military, who already often work in states where it is difficult to get an abortion and who often can't take extended time off to travel out of state to have one. Today I read this account from a woman who served, which puts into stark perspective what these women are going to be up against:

CONTENT WARNING (sexual assault): ABORTION: When I was 21, I was drugged and raped violently in the military. When I tried to report it, I was told I'd be dishonorably discharged for filing a false report and court martialed for adultery because my rapist was married 1/

twitter.com

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-05-04 08:13 PM | Reply

At first I couldn't see any way this could be worded that would stand but then I remembered the make up of the SC. Now I can think of a couple. Sigh

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-05-04 08:16 PM | Reply

How come Eberly hasn't assured us this won't be happening, that Republicans won't go this far?

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-05-04 08:17 PM | Reply

I usually think of state rights in civil rights terms however, state rights really sucks all the way around.

#18 | Posted by fresno500 at 2022-05-04 08:20 PM | Reply

"When I was 21, I was drugged and raped violently in the military. When I tried to report it, I was told I'd be dishonorably discharged for filing a false report and court martialed for adultery because my rapist was married 1"

^
Men are smart enough to not even report it.
Right, DR Veterans?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-05-04 08:22 PM | Reply

"When I was 21, I was drugged and raped violently in the military. When I tried to report it, I was told I'd be dishonorably discharged for filing a false report and court martialed for adultery because my rapist was married"

While the rapist should be prosecuted to the fullest extent, what does this have to do with abortion? Morning after pill (72hrs) is 90% effective, you should investigate the 10% where it isn't ... .

Now on to some specifics, "adultery"? Yeah unlikely, bet there was WAY more to this than she lets on, claiming its adultery is the tell .. sounds like a lie to me.

But hey, I am not a biologist, can anyone tell definitively its a woman.

#20 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-05-04 09:03 PM | Reply

"While the rapist should be prosecuted to the fullest extent, what does this have to do with abortion?"

^
Wow, you're really this stupid!

Despite trying to take multiple birth control pills as a makeshift Plan B (which wasn't available then), I found out I was pregnant. I was able to get access to abortion care at @PPFA along with a counseling referral since I couldn't talk to anyone in the military 2/
twitter.com

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-05-04 09:06 PM | Reply

The Fugitive Abortion Act coming to a state near you:

Missouri's Proposed Anti-Abortion Law Has an Eerie Resemblance to the Fugitive Slave Act

The past is back.

A Missouri lawmaker wants her state to follow in Texas' footsteps and outlaw almost all abortions through the use of a citizen-enforced ban. But Republican Rep. Mary Elizabeth Coleman hopes to take the Texas framework even further--literally outside the boundaries of her state.

Since September, Texas has stopped nearly all legal abortions after roughly six weeks gestation by deputizing individuals to sue anyone who performs the procedure, or aids and abets anyone seeking one. Coleman's proposed legislation would not only allow citizens to sue anyone who performs an abortion for a Missouri resident, but anyone who helps or even attempts to help a Missouri resident seek an abortion in or out of state. In other words, Missouri's law would come for people outside of Missouri.

www.motherjones.com

#22 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-05-04 09:07 PM | Reply

"Wow, you're really this stupid!"

Let's just say reading comprehension is not his strong suit.

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-05-04 09:09 PM | Reply

Just as I predicted

OBAMA is going to get between you and your doctor, and institute sharia law

Nailed it!

- - jeffyjbell

#24 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-05-04 10:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

There's no 2nd amendment for abortion and SCOTUS is looking like they're going to make this right go away. That means they can and will be able to arrest and charge people, just like other states are doing/planning to do (#22 - thanks Gal).

slaves were "property" women aren't.
Women weren't able to get an abortion before the 1993 Casey decision in PA without their husband's permission.

Then there's "coverture" law. Insane to look at that today, yet it wasn't long ago that it was used to enslave women. Women weren't allowed on juries in the '60's because of it. Marital rape wasn't possible until the 1980's. Rape was A-OK if it was the husband doing the raping. I was watching old Barney Miller reruns and an episode on this very subject was one of the story threads. I was stunned, and though it was a fictional story, everything about the legal aspects of it were 100% true.

#25 | Posted by YAV at 2022-05-04 10:13 PM | Reply

slaves were "property" women aren't.

#9 | POSTED BY TOR

Yet...

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2022-05-05 03:38 PM | Reply

I am by no means a CrimPro expert, but i think there could be serious jurisdictional questions if a state attempted to punish its residents for acts they committed elsewhere. That shouldn't detract from the central point of all this, which is that Republicans are bootlicking scum.

#27 | Posted by JOE at 2022-05-05 05:02 PM | Reply

Republicans are fkkking crazy.

#28 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-05 05:59 PM | Reply

Apparently Red states own their citizens and can dictate whether or not they're allowed to do anything.

This is the America Republicans are fighting for.

#29 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-05 06:02 PM | Reply