Thursday, May 12, 2022

"She used a weapon," Ashley Judd said. "A firearm. So that's the piece of information we are very uncomfortable sharing."

Comments

Welllll that's one of the best ways to die I hear tell.

#1 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-05-13 05:25 AM | Reply

I guess that gun was keeping someone safe. Not sure who.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-05-13 06:26 AM | Reply

Trying to ignore the wise cracks, RIP Naomi.

#3 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2022-05-13 08:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You wouldn't know anything wise if it bit you in the ass.

#4 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-05-13 08:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So sad and preventable.

#5 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-05-13 08:38 AM | Reply

"So sad and preventable."

It was her choice.

#6 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-05-13 09:02 AM | Reply

hAVINF LIVED THROUGH SIMI;ARM YHOU THANKFTLLY minus the gun and the ytarma of discovering the body, hrt inyrtview btought me yo years. Nothing has bwwn as tragiv in my lide as the mental illnesses of xlose familt members. Some I irill feel the sadness decades later. it never really goes away. I oftem wonder if the prople who chose yo end their psin by ending their lives were capable of considering how it would affect those of us lrfy behind?

#7 | Posted by danni at 2022-05-13 10:21 AM | Reply

god damn the stroke wgich has made it so difficilt yo yupe an intelligent thought. It has madw wcwn smsll tasks almost impossible,

#8 | Posted by danni at 2022-05-13 10:25 AM | Reply

You're getting your message across, DANNI. Paso a paso.

#9 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2022-05-13 10:36 AM | Reply

I got that message, but somebody wants euthanasia like they have in some of those Democratic Socialist countries... it really feels like "why don't they consider my feelings first?" is uh... probably the wrong question to ask them.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-05-13 10:39 AM | Reply

"So sad and preventable."

It was her choice.

#6 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-05-13 09:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

Abortions are a choice and the GOP decides those are preventable.

#11 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-05-13 11:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Her body. Her choice?

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-05-13 11:56 AM | Reply

The thing is, statistics bear out the fact that a person with a gun is significantly more likely to kill themselves than to defend themselves from a threat.

She knew she had mental illness and she still owned a firearm. It was no secret to her or her friends and family she was afu in the head and they knew she owned (a) firearm(s).

They (she) set themselves up for tragedy... if it is indeed a tragedy... I mean it sounds like she was suffering.

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-05-13 12:18 PM | Reply

As stated before, the most dangerous person to a firearm owner is themselves. roughly 2/3 of firearm deaths in the USA are suicide.

#14 | Posted by bus_driver at 2022-05-13 12:41 PM | Reply

I've had two elderly uncles deliberately kill themselves with guns. One was terminally ill, the other was 90 years old, in pain, tired, and ready to be done. They went out their own way, because they could. There are lobbies that would prefer that Dr. assisted suicide remain forever illegal. Specifically the hospital and nursing home industries that make far less revenue off of a quick death.

Although I hope that I'm nowhere near that time. Or that when it is time, I go quickly of natural causes. I keep a bullet for the exact same reason as my uncles. I will not live to be a burden to my family. I will not live with unbearable pain. And I will not live so that my fortunes can be sucked dry by the leaches.

I agree with Sentinel in this case. We should all have that choice.

#15 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2022-05-13 12:41 PM | Reply

Very well said, Whatsleft.

I remember the Dr Death Kevorkian assisted suicides and the trial. I'm disappointed that the theater surrounding that didn't really move the needle. Both of my grandmothers died slow deaths - lasting days - because the approach was to try and keep them comfortable but no life saving measures were applied. They were both unconscious during that period so I don't know if they were in physical pain but maybe something quicker would have been better once the writing was on the wall?

#16 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-05-13 12:50 PM | Reply

"I will not live to be a burden to my family."

That's been my family's mantra forever.

We should all have the choice to die with dignity.

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-05-13 12:53 PM | Reply

You just sign up with hospice, they'll give you the morphine.

#18 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-05-13 12:58 PM | Reply

To die with dignity...

#19 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2022-05-13 01:20 PM | Reply

"with your dignified brains splattered all over some wall"

Nah. A nap in the garage with the motor running is much cleaner.

#20 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-05-13 01:22 PM | Reply

Your life, your choice. If there was ever a basic right, that would one.

That said, give a care for those left behind. I think of the colleague who hanged himself in the basement of the family home, where one of the kids found him dangling. Not good.

#21 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2022-05-13 01:28 PM | Reply

"Abortions are a choice and the GOP decides those are preventable."
#11 | POSTED BY NIXON AT 2022-05-13 11:48 AM

So you were agreeing with them when you said a woman's choice is sad and preventable?

#22 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-05-13 01:31 PM | Reply

"....with your dignified brains splattered all over some wall that will have to be cleaned, patched and likely repainted."
#19 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER AT 2022-05-13 01:20 PM

Art is subjective.

#23 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-05-13 01:33 PM | Reply

Both abortion and suicide demean the value of human life. But both rights should remain legal.

The focus should not be about maintaining legality" ultimately should be to build and maintain a true "pro-life" society that educates and supports individuals so they do not one day find themselves in a desperate situation that makes them consider committing one or the other.

#24 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2022-05-13 03:08 PM | Reply

Nah. A nap in the garage with the motor running is much cleaner.

#20 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

colleague who hanged himself in the basement

#21 | POSTED BY DOC_SARVIS

Having responded to numerous instances of suicides I agree. My issue with suicide isn't the what or why, it's the how, where, and who gets to find it. Gunshot to the head is an awful mess, especially when it's usually a loved one who finds the body. Hanging, especially after a few days when the head pops off, is pretty nasty. Hose from the exhaust pipe isn't bad. Cleanest I ever responded to was a guy who tied a rope around two concrete block, the other end around his neck, and jumped off a dock into 8" of water. We found him right away though. Drowners get nasty also after about day three or so.

#25 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2022-05-13 04:40 PM | Reply

I had an old friend that called the police to tell them he was gonna shoot himself. He said please clean things up before my family gets here.
He then leaned over a 12 ga and shot himself in the heart.

His wife died of cancer a few years earlier and he was in constant pain.

#26 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2022-05-14 04:04 PM | Reply