Thursday, May 19, 2022

Erie County began an investigation after a supermarket worker said the dispatcher hung up on her when she called during the attack.

Comments

SHOULD be fired.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-05-19 05:20 PM | Reply

It does not take a lot of brains or even common sense to work dispatch. No excuse for not firing someone this incompetent.

#2 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-05-19 06:18 PM | Reply

@#2 ... It does not take a lot of brains or even common sense to work dispatch ...

Actually it does.

The 911 dispatchers are not just answering the phone and taking messages.

You should spend some time (say, an afternoon or evening) in a 911 dispatch center.

Aside from knowledge and common sense, what is also required is the ability to communicate effectively with people under extreme pressure.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-05-19 06:59 PM | Reply

I have no training in dispatch, but I follow the scanner well enough to know its a high pressure job.

That said, if I was a dispatcher and someone called in a whisper, I think the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up, and they'd have my immediate attention.

#4 | Posted by horstngraben at 2022-05-19 08:22 PM | Reply

@#4 ... if I was a dispatcher and someone called in a whisper, I think the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up, and they'd have my immediate attention. ...

Yup.

The dispatchers are a critical part of our emergency response.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-05-19 08:41 PM | Reply

How much is a typical dispatcher paid?

#6 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2022-05-19 08:42 PM | Reply

#6 with regards to the topic

Who cares? When you are on the job do your job.

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2022-05-19 08:51 PM | Reply

@#6 ... How much is a typical dispatcher paid? ...

imo, problay not enough, since it is government job, and Republicans strive to want incapable people in government positions by underpaying them.

OK, wow I really sad that.

Wow.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-05-19 08:52 PM | Reply

#8 so you want to make this partisan ... .Which party was chanting "Defund the Police?" You do realize dispatchers work for the police department?

#9 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-05-20 08:20 AM | Reply

#2 I have always stood up for dispatchers. Their stress level is arguably higher than that of police officers. They deal with panicked, hysterical people in distress all day long. Most of the time the situation has calmed by the time officers arrive on scene, often because the dispatchers themselves deescalate the situation over the phone. It takes a special (and intelligent) person to do that well.

The salaries are low, the burnout rate is high. That makes it hard to recruit and retain good dispatchers. This one clearly wasn't cut out for the job. I'll be interested in hearing the audio. I'm sure it will be released soon.

#10 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-05-20 08:33 AM | Reply

Defund the police spent mean what you want it to mean. I would love to take away all that armed forces weaponry from police departments. If they're given an armored vehicle they'll want to use it.

#11 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-05-21 05:46 AM | Reply

"doesn't mean what you want it to mean."

#12 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-05-21 05:48 AM | Reply

Indeed they will, and I have watched armored vehicles save lives. The most effective use of an armored vehicle is in an active shooter or hostage incident like this one.

Can you tell me what is wrong with police using armored vehicles, other than the fact that they "look scary"?

#13 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-05-21 06:33 AM | Reply

RJSQUIRREL @ #11

" If they're given an armored vehicle they'll want to use it."

Or the alternative. It's great to have one when they need it. Which would be my preference.

And BTW. The police should always show up expecting the worst. Because things can turn on a dime, and usually do. Better to be safe than sorry.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2022-05-21 08:30 AM | Reply