Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Disney has released their new "Pride Collection," a clothing line for children ... "The Disney Pride Collection was created by LGBTQIA+ employees and allies at The Walt Disney Company and is a reflection of their incredible contributions and place at the heart of the company. We stand in solidarity with our LGBTQIA+ community everywhere."

Comments

If Florida's Republican Governor Ron DeSantis thought that his retaliatory attacks on the Walt Disney Company for opposing his homophobic "Don't Say Gay" bill would cause the company to cower in submission, then the company's latest move will disabuse him of any such notion.

Rather than succumbing to the pressure that DeSantis applied to the entertainment conglomerate by dismantling the Reedy Creek Improvement District that gave the company quasi-governmental control over the areas where its theme parks and hotel properties are located, Disney - prodded in large part by its own employees - has doubled down on its support for the cause of LGBTQ+ equality.

It looks like DeSantis' message of radical homophobia and transphobia is backfiring on him in his own state.

washingtonpress.com

Disney for the win!

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2022-05-24 12:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stick it to the Nazis!

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-05-24 09:38 AM | Reply

The angry Alphabet People strike back! lol

#3 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-05-24 11:51 AM | Reply

Amen honey.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-05-24 11:58 AM | Reply

The DeSantis move has open up a new profit venue for Disney. Rainbow wear. Thanks gov for all the advertising.

#5 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2022-05-24 12:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Disney will outlast DeathSentence.

They will win the war.

And the LGBT, we're not going anywhere.

Especially not back into the shadows.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-24 12:04 PM | Reply

.....Ok this kinda is sexualizing kids.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2022-05-24 12:08 PM | Reply

....Ok this kinda is sexualizing kids.

#7 | POSTED BY TOR AT 20

No it's not

#8 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-05-24 12:26 PM | Reply

Both DeSantis and Disney are playing the same game. Disney is trying to make money off of right wing homophobia. DeSantis is trying to pump up his base with homophobia.

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-05-24 12:27 PM | Reply

"No it's not"

and what does the T in LBGT stand for?

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2022-05-24 12:30 PM | Reply

Both DeSantis and Disney are playing the same game.

I disagree.

DeSantis is spreading homophobia.

Disney is spreading LGBT pride, awareness and inclusion.

For a marginalized group of people, it's fantastic to see Disney fighting for us.

Don't let cynicism obscure the fact that during my childhood, the 80s and 90s, we didn't have anyone fighting for our right to openly exist.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-24 12:37 PM | Reply

Ok this kinda is sexualizing kids.
#7 | POSTED BY TOR

No it's not
#8 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS

I forgot I still had Tor plonked.

Looks like I'm not missing anything.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-24 12:39 PM | Reply

Personally, I think both Disney and DeSantis have opened a Pandora's Box.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2022-05-24 12:45 PM | Reply

I also grew up in the 80s/90s, when it was fine to ridicule homosexuals and use "gay" as an insult.

I had a some toxic masculinity and was a bit of a tough guy, so ridiculing gays made sense.

It took me until I matured into adulthood to realize that that was wrong. I dropped the macho-man BS, and became supportive of people who aren't like me. And if anyone calls me gay, I don't take it as a personal insult like when I was a kid, but rather as an insult to gay folks. And I make sure to say as much.

The rest of the country has gotten better as well, but we obviously have a ways to go.

I think what Disney is doing is helpful in the bigger picture. And so what if they piss off the homophobes. Those people are constantly pissed off about everything anyway. Let them further demonstrate their bigotry to the broader public.

#14 | Posted by horstngraben at 2022-05-24 01:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

They love playing the victim 24/7/365.

#15 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-05-24 02:04 PM | Reply

.....Ok this kinda is sexualizing kids.
#7 | POSTED BY TOR

Not even close.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2022-05-24 02:31 PM | Reply

I would call people gay as an insult all the time.

Literally anything to prevent anyone from knowing I was gay.

Dated girls, played sports, talked shht on f*gs.

High school was spectacularly insane as I had a girlfriend but secretly was hooking up with my best friend.

I feel bad for all my girlfriends. I never wanted anything more from them than their friendship.

It's a fkkked up situation growing up pretending to be someone you're not.

It's exhausting.

#17 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-24 02:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's a fkkked up situation growing up pretending to be someone you're not.
It's exhausting.
#17 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

And why we all have to stay united to keep DeSantis et al. from pushing the kids back into the closet.

#18 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2022-05-24 03:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Couldn't agree more.

#19 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-05-24 03:19 PM | Reply

Dems mad about taxing a mega corporation, lmao.

#20 | Posted by LEGALLYDORKY at 2022-05-25 12:23 AM | Reply