Monday, June 20, 2022

Texas Republicans are pushing for a referendum to decide whether the state should secede from the U.S. The demand for Texans to be allowed to vote on the issue in 2023 was one of many measures adopted in the Texas GOP's party platform following last week's state convention in Houston.

Comments

"Texas retains the right to secede from the United States, and the Texas Legislature should be called upon to pass a referendum consistent thereto."

The myth that Texas can secede from the U.S. continues because of the state's history of independence, according to The Texas Tribune. Texas declared independence from Mexico in 1836 and spent nine years as its own nation before becoming a U.S. state. Texas then seceded from the Union in 1861 before being readmitted following the end of the Civil War in 1870.

The U.S. Constitution makes no provision for states to secede and in 1869, the Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White that states cannot unilaterally secede from the Union.

"If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede," the late Justice Antonin Scalia once wrote."

This what Real 'Muricans do! Run away! Run away!

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2022-06-20 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Go ahead, Texas. We don't want you. Take Florida with you while you're at it.

#2 | Posted by qcp at 2022-06-20 03:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Conservative slams Texas GOP's 'mess' of a party platform... "a mob mentality".

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2022-06-20 03:32 PM | Reply

I was just thinking how the future people will view these fools. I assume they will be like the amish- a group of religious folk who refuse to advance but live off some of the comforts of modern society.

#4 | Posted by Brennnn at 2022-06-20 06:04 PM | Reply

Thereafter to be known as "some kind of Mexicans."

#5 | Posted by Jaspar at 2022-06-20 06:07 PM | Reply

How about american'ts?

#6 | Posted by Brennnn at 2022-06-20 06:14 PM | Reply

Texas?

Isn't that the state that can't even handle a power grid?

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2022-06-20 06:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Texas can't do what it wants because the US constitution won't allow them. So Texans want to declare the US. constitution invalid in Texas.

Just as the founding fathers imagined?

Them sounds like fighting words to me.

Semper Fi

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-06-20 06:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Like I have been saying. We never were able to reconcile the differences that led to the civil war the first time. So Republicans want to refight the civil war because they still don't like the outcome."

The Fourteenth Amendment is a bridge too far for Republicans.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-20 06:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Texas can't do what it wants

#8 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Traitorous Republican Texans can't do what they want.

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2022-06-20 07:00 PM | Reply

Well, Texas Governor Greg Abbott really wants to be President (of anything) so maybe this is his golden opportunity to have a country all his very own.

I say, go for it. But what I'm thinking is "Oh no, not this bullshjt again."

I wish they'd either shjt or get off the pot.

#11 | Posted by Twinpac at 2022-06-20 07:01 PM | Reply

When was the last time Texas had a disaster and didn't ask for FEMA's help?

#12 | Posted by Tor at 2022-06-20 07:03 PM | Reply

These Republican secessionists carry water for Putin, whose covert ops have been angling for this sort of thing for at least seven years that I know.

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2022-06-20 07:09 PM | Reply

Please proceed.
Your 38 electoral votes will vanish.
Dems relish your arrogance.

#14 | Posted by Docman at 2022-06-20 07:21 PM | Reply

Of course all Federal facilities will remain the property of America and we're going to start charging Texans for their use.

The Utility companies are going to love this too.

Are you ready to pay international rates to call Oklahoma city?

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2022-06-20 07:25 PM | Reply

Tell texas, "bu by"

#16 | Posted by bat4255 at 2022-06-20 08:33 PM | Reply

Lol...they have no authority to unilaterally
secede. But, if they want to go, I say let them. We can make D.C. the 50th state and unload a ---- ton of yahoos at the same time...

Just make sure to give them their portion of the national debt and the total debt when they go. Tell them 'Freedumb isn't free!'

#17 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-06-20 08:35 PM | Reply

From the article:

"federally mandated legislation that infringes upon the 10th Amendment rights of Texas should be ignored, opposed, refused, and nullified."

Then why shouldn't federal payments to Texans be refused and nullified?

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 08:49 PM | Reply

"Sometimes Texas political rhetoric is so wildly at variance with reality it's hard to tell what planet our elected representatives are from."

Molly Ivins

#19 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2022-06-20 09:49 PM | Reply

Not the "Texas-is-going-to-vote-to-secede" story again.

Please.

Before anyone mindlessly posts this story for the nth time, educate yourself on the law concerning this matter. Yes, Texas haters chub up with this story, but that's about all that becomes of it.

#20 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 09:58 PM | Reply

#2 : "Go ahead, Texas. We don't want you. Take Florida with you while you're at it.

#2 | POSTED BY QCP "

That's the difference between us liberals and rabid and mindless progressives. We liberals want Texas and their 38 electoral votes. Rabid and hateful progressives evident here would rather ostracize Texas than embrace them and their power in presidential elections. Texas is turning blue. But if the progressives have their way, it won't.

This is why the Democrats always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Progressives.

---- you guys. Let us liberals lead the way if you want the Democratic party to succeed. Your hatred blinds you and the ability to see the big picture

#21 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 10:54 PM | Reply

^

This "I'm a liberal" thing must never gets old for these clowns.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-20 11:10 PM | Reply

"us liberals ... "

You're not fooling anyone.

Why do you feel you have to pretend to be a liberal to get any respect?

#23 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:16 PM | Reply

#20 could have edumacated his own self by reading the article quotes.

You know, the one that says what he just uselessly repeated about the law.

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2022-06-20 11:26 PM | Reply

#24 - who put this thread up? Someone who is more intent on being a progressive than actual facts while claiming to be aware of them. What was the purpose of this thread?

Keep puking out the hate, progressive.

#25 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:28 PM | Reply

#23 :"You're not fooling anyone."

Good, progressive.

#26 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:32 PM | Reply

invoking the logical fallacies of ad populum and ad hominem rather than debate the point made is quite telling.

#27 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:39 PM | Reply

"Good, progressive."

I know. You called me out the first day your current alias hit.

Again: Why do you feel you have to pretend to be a liberal to get any respect?

#28 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:43 PM | Reply

Danforth, do you wish to debate my point, or would you rather stupidly repeat your "alias" schtick?

#29 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:44 PM | Reply

"Before anyone mindlessly posts this story for the nth time, educate yourself on the law concerning this matter."

Shouldn't you be telling that to the Texas GOP?

Are they idiots to the point they don't know the law concerning this matter???

#30 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:44 PM | Reply

Again, invoking logical fallacies does not help your case, Danforth. Learn this.

#31 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:45 PM | Reply

Texas can't manage one border let alone five

Haha

#32 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-06-20 11:45 PM | Reply

"do you wish to debate my point"

No. You're a coward and a fake. Why won't you answer my direct question: why do you feel you have to pretend to be a liberal to get respect around here?

#33 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:46 PM | Reply

#33 - thank you for conceding the point to me.

#34 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:48 PM | Reply

"Learn this."

Another Goatman "tell".

Does it bother you you're so easily identified?

#35 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"thank you for conceding the point to me."

Have you comprehension problems?!? I conceded nothing, other than you're a coward for not answering my direct question.

#36 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:49 PM | Reply

"Have you comprehension problems?!? I conceded nothing, "

I asked you if you wished to debate my point. You said no. That is a concession, big buy.

YOu bore me, progresssive.

#37 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:53 PM | Reply

I'm not getting sucked into the infamous Daforth ever downward spiraling vortex. Bye.

#38 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:54 PM | Reply

"I asked you if you wished to debate my point. You said no"

Because I didn't want to debate the difference between a progressive and a liberal with someone who's clearly a fake.

For example: tell us, have you ever posted on this site under any other name(s)? If so, what name(s)?

#39 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:56 PM | Reply

Yeah, this is the point where you run away, coward.

#40 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-20 11:56 PM | Reply

#40 - I'm here to debate topics, not entertain your obsession with other posters. If you wish to engage in the former, I'd love to do so. The latter? I won't lower myself to that level.

#41 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:58 PM | Reply

The coward is the one who runs away from a valid point by talking about other posters rather than the debate topic.

#42 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-20 11:59 PM | Reply

If you wish to talk about other posters, start a thread on them, Danforth. This thread is not about your fantasies about me being another poster.

#43 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:00 AM | Reply

"I'm here to debate topics, not entertain your obsession with other posters."

First, answer my direct question. It's clear you're not a liberal; why do you feel you have to pretend to be one on this site?

#44 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:03 AM | Reply

"Texas can't manage one border let alone five
Haha

#32 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES "

Um, brainiac -- US border security is a federal thing, not a state thing. Indeed, Texans have gotten into trouble for patroling the national border. Google it.

#45 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:04 AM | Reply

"This thread is not about your fantasies about me being another poster."

Methinks the coward doth protest too much.

Gee, you're not only stuck into faking you're a liberal, you're embarrassed to admit who you used to post under.

But keep digging; I'll pop popcorn. How many posts since you said "bye'?n. (And I just mean this time, not that HUGE FAMOUS time...)

#46 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:05 AM | Reply

"Um, brainiac -- US border security is a federal thing"

Um...if Texas becomes a country, it's THEIR federal, too.

Or are you suggesting the new country have open borders?

#47 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:10 AM | Reply

We need to make a one time rule and allow Texas to secede from the USA. A win-win if you ask me. The GQP loses all 38 electoral votes, 2 senators, all federal funding and military equipment and personnel.

Texas then will rename itself "-------------, and implode into a 5th world country.

#48 | Posted by a_monson at 2022-06-21 12:12 AM | Reply

Again, this thread is not about me, obsessed one.

I made some points that are about the actual topic. Feel free to address them, or be a coward and run away from them by continuing your obsession with me, Danforth. Which will it be?

#49 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:12 AM | Reply

"We need to make a one time rule and allow Texas to secede from the USA"

I second that motion!

#50 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:12 AM | Reply

Oh and build a wall around Texas and make Texas pay for it!

#51 | Posted by a_monson at 2022-06-21 12:13 AM | Reply

" this thread is not about me"

All your posts to the contrary.

Let's just get back to my original question: why do you pretend to be a liberal on the site?

#52 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:14 AM | Reply

"We need to make a one time rule and allow Texas to secede from the USA. A win-win if you ask me. "

It's a lose lose for the Democratic party since Texas is more and more increasingly leaning blue. Are you saying that 38 electoral votes aaren't wanted or needed by the Democrats? You reinforce my point that rabid progressives are failing to see the big picture and would rather bring the party down with their hate than reinforce it by embracing the second largest electoral vote state.

Progressives suck.

#53 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:16 AM | Reply

#52 - again, this thread is not about me, obsessed one.

#54 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:17 AM | Reply

"Are you saying that 38 electoral votes aaren't wanted or needed by the Democrats? "

No, he's saying 251 electoral votes will be an easier bar.

#55 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:18 AM | Reply

"Progressives suck"

How do you feel about fake liberals?

#56 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:19 AM | Reply

"again, this thread is not about me"

If you answered the direct questions directly, there'd be 10 less posts, and we could get on to debate the issues.

As it is, you can't admit who you used to be, or why you feel you have to be a pretend liberal to get respect around here.

How about this: answer the two direct questions, and we'll move on.

#57 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:21 AM | Reply

"If you answered the direct questions directly,"

As uou did my on-topic question?

Physician, heal thyself

"If you answered the direct questions directly, there'd be 10 less posts"

Actually, if you weren't so obsessed with me and stayed on topic, there would be 10 fewer posts. Fixed that for you.

#58 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:30 AM | Reply

"Physician, heal thyself"

ANOTHER Goatman "tell". The hits just keep on coming!

#59 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:35 AM | Reply

- I made some points that are about the actual topic.

That'll be the day.....

You seem quite confused actually. Bad meds?

#60 | Posted by Corky at 2022-06-21 12:36 AM | Reply

" if you weren't so obsessed with me and stayed on topic, there would be 10 fewer posts"

I asked direct questions, and your dancing around them added the posts. We'd be long past if you had any intellectual honesty.

#61 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:36 AM | Reply

- Goatman "tell"

He does seem rather, um, oily.

#62 | Posted by Corky at 2022-06-21 12:37 AM | Reply

Actually, "Phusician heal thyself" goes back to the Bible Luke 4:23, which has been read and quoted by millions for hundreds of years, obsessed one. Goatman doesn't get credit for it.

You're really stretching this goatman obsession to the limits, obsessed one. Can you show us on the doll where goatman touched you?

#63 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:39 AM | Reply

"Actually, "Phusician heal thyself" goes back to the Bible"

Oh, I'm well aware.

I'm also aware you've used it before.

#64 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:41 AM | Reply

" Can you show us on the doll where goatman touched you?"

You're faking you're a liberal. Why?

#65 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:42 AM | Reply

"You're really stretching this goatman obsession to the limits"

#66 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:43 AM | Reply

"'m also aware you've used it before."

As have millions of others. So they must all be goatman. great logic, obsessed one.

#67 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:44 AM | Reply

"You had the opportunity to tell us you've never posted under any other name(s), and you passed."

I"ve also had the opportunity to prove cows aren't purple, but I haven't. So cows must be purple.

Given that, your ad hominem and ad populum, it's obvious logic isn't your forte, is it?

Ask me a question on topic and I (unlike you who cowardly runs from them) will be glad to answer it, obsessed one.

#68 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:46 AM | Reply

"As have millions of others."

Not on this blog, and not as a signoff.

Why do you feel you have to pretend to be a liberal?

#69 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:47 AM | Reply

Do you have any on-topic questions, obsessed one?

#70 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:48 AM | Reply

"it's obvious logic isn't your forte, is it?"

Reading #68 in it's entirety, is a MAJOR self-retorting retort.

#71 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:48 AM | Reply

"Ask me a question on topic"

You "opining on the topic while pretending to be a liberal" is on topic. Your goal is to drive a wedge between liberals and progressives, but the fact you're a fake liberal taints everything you post.

On topic: Why do you feel you have to pretend to be a liberal?

#72 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:51 AM | Reply

"I"ve also had the opportunity to prove cows aren't purple, but I haven't. So cows must be purple"

Non-denial denial. ANOTHER Goatman "tell".

Clearly, you won't be truthful, with me or anyone else.

G'night, all. My apologies for trying to get the truth out of this lying SOS.

#73 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 12:53 AM | Reply

#72, "On topic: Why do you feel you have to pretend to be a liberal?"

actually the topic is NOT about me, obsessed one. It's about Texas voting to secede.

Wow. You are not well, Danforth.

#74 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"And you're speaking in English, something else Goatman did! Another Tell!"

signed
the obsessed one

#75 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 12:57 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

If Texas secedes I will be in favor of installing an impenetrable wall on a portion of the southern border of the United States.

Adios, to the neo-confederate anti-conservatives.

#76 | Posted by anton at 2022-06-21 01:46 AM | Reply

#78 - and since Texas is moving more and more to the left, adios to 38 electoral votes

Let's cut off our noses to spite our faces, eh progressives?

#77 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 02:08 AM | Reply

It's certain so-called "conservatives" in Texas who want to secede. It's positively Trumpian of you to blame progressives for that.

Well done. Your cult leader would pat you on the head for that.

#78 | Posted by anton at 2022-06-21 04:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Jakegoat, Here it is, straight up.

Nobody here wants to discuss anything political WITH YOU!

YOU are, simply put, PERSONA NON GRATA. We dont want you here. We dont want your crap on threads.

We dont care what you have to say about anything. You were expelled. It was a happy day.

Go away.

If RCADE had a shred of respect for his rules-abiding poster community, or a shread of self respect, he would kick you to the curb again, and every time you reappear, do it again. For some reason, he has agreed to be your bistch and pretend he hasn't the foggiest notion that you are Goatman.

We, the posters here, who abide by the rules of the forum, who come to discuss the political world, are being disrespected by your mere presence.

Rcade has decided that, like Trump, you should receive special attention and be free from the rules everybody else respects. And for that, Mr RCADE, eff you.

#79 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2022-06-21 08:45 AM | Reply

The owls are not what they seem.

#80 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-06-21 09:40 AM | Reply

Well, that's one way to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

#81 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-06-21 11:51 AM | Reply

The party of Lincoln would like to secede.

#82 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2022-06-21 12:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Behold, Texico and the Texicans.

#83 | Posted by Jaspar at 2022-06-21 02:12 PM | Reply

Texas can't manage one border let alone five

Haha

#32 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-06-20 11:45 PM | Reply | Flag

I can understand why Mexicans want to cross the border, but I doubt that works for any other US state.

#84 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-06-21 03:04 PM | Reply

One less red state siphoning off blue state tax money.

#85 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-06-21 03:05 PM | Reply

It would be nice to have a little buffer on least part of the southern border...

#86 | Posted by Rumpelstiltskin at 2022-06-21 04:00 PM | Reply

this thread is not about me
point to me.
bore me ... Bye
I'd love to ... I won't lower myself
fantasies about me
I made ... your obsession with me
reinforce my point ... again, this thread is not about me
my ... so obsessed with me
I"ve also had the opportunity ... but I haven't
Ask me a question ... and I will be glad
the topic is NOT about me

POSTED BY JAKESTER

17 references to 'me', 'my' or 'I' by the alias who also needed to state THREE times 'the topic/thread is NOT about me'.

Who's obsessed?

#87 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2022-06-21 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Who's obsessed?"

The guy who keeps bringing me up, of course. Why don't you go back and count how many times he did. OOPS, these facts don't fit into your agenda, do they?

And you. You actually counted how many me, my, and I? Funny.

#88 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 04:54 PM | Reply

" The guy who keeps bringing me up"

I simply asked a question or two. Had I received honest answers I certainly wouldn't have had to ask again and again.

Even now, you won't honestly answer either of them.

#89 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 04:59 PM | Reply

Texas would be a good place for every country in the world to hold their proxy wars.

I mean, why mess up the landscaping in their own countries when most of Texas is just sitting there doing nothing.

#90 | Posted by Twinpac at 2022-06-21 05:02 PM | Reply

"I simply asked a question or two. "

And I asked you to comment on my on-topic post which you openly refused to do..

Yet you whine I don't answer your off topic crap? You must be a "do as I say, not as I do" progressive.

I was only following the example YOU set, Danforth. So sue me.

Now you're going to have to continue your hijacking of this thread on your own. But don't worry. El Buscador has your back.

#91 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 05:11 PM | Reply

One more thing, Danforth -- your questions were based on a false premise. (that I'm noy s liberal) But since you have no concept of what a logical fallacy is, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

#92 | Posted by jakester at 2022-06-21 05:15 PM | Reply

" I asked you to comment on my on-topic post which you openly refused to do."

Because you're a Reactionary who clearly couldn't get enough respect, so you came back as a fake liberal.

Who wants to have a debate with a fake who can't even be honest about himself?

#93 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 05:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

" since you have no concept of what a logical fallacy is, I wouldn't expect you to understand."

Oh my, you're even dumber than I thought.

#94 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-21 05:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Great, we can build a GREAT BIG wall around them and hopefully never see those --------- again!

#95 | Posted by MartinBK at 2022-06-21 07:49 PM | Reply

Actually, doing research into the validity of a question or source is on topic. Danforth is correct in questioning you.

#96 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-06-22 08:27 AM | Reply

"Texas Could Vote to Secede from U.S. in 2023"

Bye Felicia.

#97 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-22 12:38 PM | Reply

Fingers crossed. (Can you take Florida with you?)

#98 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2022-06-22 01:48 PM | Reply

Good. Do it, Texas.

No funding for military bases.
No medicare/medicaid reimbursements.
No farm subsidies.
No social security checks.

Use every cent of that cash to help move any sensible person out of the state.

Bye!