Thursday, June 23, 2022

The U.S. Department of Education has agreed to cancel the student loans of around 200,000 people who brought a class-action lawsuit against the government, claiming they were stuck with federal debts from schools that were found to have misled them.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona issued the following statement regarding today's filing on Sweet v. Cardona:

"Since day one, the Biden-Harris Administration has worked to address longstanding issues relating to the borrower defense process. We are pleased to have worked with plaintiffs to reach an agreement that will deliver billions of dollars of automatic relief to approximately 200,000 borrowers and that we believe will resolve plaintiffs' claims in a manner that is fair and equitable for all parties."

Comments

A good start.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-23 06:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Complete garbage. Most likely Illegal and unconstitutional. It will get challenged in court.

#2 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-06-23 06:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

UnConSTiTuTiONaL@@@@@!!

derp.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2022-06-23 07:24 PM | Reply

You guys gotta stop throwing that word around for everything you don't like. It looks foolish to always reach for top shelf words.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2022-06-23 07:27 PM | Reply

Are they going to do the same for mortgages?

#5 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-06-23 10:42 PM | Reply

Are they going to do the same for mortgages?

At $8K a month I certainly hope so! Why not? What's the down side?

#6 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-06-23 10:45 PM | Reply

A good start.

#1 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2022-06-23 06:21 PM |

58 year old living in the parent's basement. Yeah, good move. Frees up money from paying to that liberal arts degree that took 15 years to attain.

#7 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-06-23 11:43 PM | Reply

I'd ask for a mortgage exemption but I'm one of the losers that paid cash for my home and sold my other one that was paid off for cash. The government doesn't care about people like me because I'm responsible.

#8 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-06-23 11:45 PM | Reply

What's the down side?

#6 | POSTED BY ONEIRONAUT AT 2022-06-23 10:45 PM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

People like Snoofy get a free ride while folks like us pay for it.

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-06-23 11:46 PM | Reply

The sad, lonely life of an internet hero. I assume you are also a stock trading genius and fighter pilot in your spare time?

#10 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-06-23 11:59 PM | Reply

People like Snoofy get a free ride while folks like us pay for it.
#9 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

Meanwhile, your free ride is from people paying your parents.
It's not really much of a difference, as far as the money is concerned, what with money being fungible and all that.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-24 12:12 AM | Reply

"Frees up money from paying to that liberal arts degree that took 15 years to attain."

Remind us why that's bad, when someone has their money freed up.
Thanks!

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-24 12:15 AM | Reply

Remind us why that's bad, when someone has their money freed up

Because men like us have to pay your bills.

We work for a living.

You vote for a living.

Swallow it.

#13 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-06-24 12:17 AM | Reply

Is it bad if you get more money too?

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-24 12:20 AM | Reply

"Because men like us have to pay your bills."

I thought that's what mom was for?

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-24 12:20 AM | Reply

"We work for a living."

Why?
You're a trust fund kid. What's to be gained by working?
Perhaps it's because you enjoy paying my bills. Perhaps it's the only thing that gives you any sense of self worth.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-24 12:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

58 year old living in the parent's basement

You're not 58, are you, Snoofy?

Jesus, I hope not.

#17 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-06-24 12:32 AM | Reply

Too little for the problem.

#18 | Posted by DMTDust at 2022-06-24 02:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Sorry, that doesn't really help me understand what's bad about having more money."

Internet winner for explaining why the American people have allowed this country to get $30 trillion in debt. It can only be one of two things (maybe both)...either people really, truly don't understand how free money is never free or they are so easily herded by shiny dangly things in front of them they aren't smart enough to understand. Either way, the country continues to suffer one way or the other.

I'm not saying the move is right or wrong. I'm just pointing out the terrible lack of being able to see the bigger picture is never more evident than in the quote above.

#19 | Posted by humtake at 2022-06-25 07:52 PM | Reply

Too little for the problem.

#18 | POSTED BY DMTDUST

After losing a constitutional right previously guaranteed by the Supreme Court it's a little like a consolation prize.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-06-25 08:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I'm not saying the move is right or wrong."

You never say anything of substance.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-26 12:57 AM | Reply