Sunday, June 26, 2022

We asked what they will do to prevent cases being built against women. So far: Nothing

Comments

More from the article...

...Period- and fertility-tracking apps have become weapons in Friday's post-Roe America.

These seemingly innocuous trackers contain tons of data about sexual history, menstruation and pregnancy dates, all of which could now be used to prosecute women seeking abortions -- or incite digital witch hunts in states that offer abortion bounties.

Under a law passed last year in Texas, any citizen who successfully sues an abortion provider, a health center worker, or anyone who helps someone access an abortion after six weeks can claim at least $10,000, and other US states are following that example.

"We are just a few steps away from digital dragnets for people who are providing access and possibly for people seeking abortions," EFF Director of Cybersecurity Eva Galperin told The Register.

And fertility-tracking apps are just the tip of the digital surveillance iceberg.

Yes, they are "often a privacy and/or security nightmare," Galperin said. "They track a lot of various sensitive health data including data about whether a person is potentially pregnant." But, she added, there's a bigger concern....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-06-25 09:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

We are talking China type stuff - except people here are willingly giving their information to corporations and the right is waiting and eager to use it.

The lack of digital privacy is scary.

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2022-06-26 11:47 AM | Reply

That was a couple years ago data collection and algorithms have improved a ton in just that time.

To paraphrase an old radio program:
"Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men and uteri of women? The Cloud knows"

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-06-26 12:01 PM | Reply

" I remember a few years ago Target started sending ads to a teen for baby stuff, she didn't even know she was pregnant yet, but data Target had access to said she was."

Not exactly what happened.

The teen was pregnant but wasn't showing. She'd purchased vitamins specific to pregnant women, and (iirc) lotion for sore ------- during pregnancy.

Target timed it, and reasoned she'd soon need car seats and baby-proofing items, and sent "that" flyer.

Which is how her dad found out.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-06-26 12:23 PM | Reply

Thank you for the correction, that is considerably less worrisome in this environment than how I remembered the story.

Not to say great as it still demonstrates the huge amount of data corporations have on us but at least products were purchases that would trigger "that" flyer vs. generalized data collection.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-06-26 12:55 PM | Reply

What actually happened you can find at this link on the pregnant teen.

www.forbes.com

#6 | Posted by BBQ at 2022-06-26 08:00 PM | Reply

It is called 'uncanny valley' when you get the creeps over ads that seem to know you too well.

www.wired.com

To make a break where it seems more of a coincidence, they now tend to throw in ads that have no relation to the whatever they know about you and are pushing so it seems more random. For instance if the pregnant teen was looking for baby clothes, be sure they would have been there but it might be also in the targeted ads mechanic tools to make it seem it was more of a chance than what they really knew. This is the attempt to hide what they really know about you so you don't get creeped out.

As per usual, I was looking at motorcycle helmets and now random ads for helmets keep popping up, so I fired up my VPN to get them to stop what I don't need two of.

#7 | Posted by BBQ at 2022-06-26 08:10 PM | Reply

I know what you mean. I'm inundated with ads from Revzilla.

#8 | Posted by willowby at 2022-06-26 09:30 PM | Reply

I have two fertility trackers installed on my phone. I am not concerned, in part because I am an old guy who likes to make garbage data, and I have excellent spam filters.

#9 | Posted by bored at 2022-06-26 11:19 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by Danforth

When I signed up for a Kroger "rewards" card - which actually meant I paid what I did before they raised prices at the same time they rolled them out - I signed up using a fake Thai-sounding name, "---- Yu," fake address and phone number. Mr. Yu doesn't think it's anyone's business what he buys there.

#10 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-06-27 02:13 AM | Reply