Monday, June 27, 2022

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press.

Comments

Good think I checked, I was just about to post this article, albeit the original AP version
apnews.com )

The article is not forward-looking.

There's been a couple of significant political events that may effect voters.

... But nowhere is the shift more pronounced -- and dangerous for Democrats -- than in the suburbs, where well-educated swing voters who turned against Trump's Republican Party in recent years appear to be swinging back. ...

Will those suburban swing voters stay with the Republicans in the voting booth after the recent Supreme Court decisions?

One thing I am fairly sure of, this summer is going to contain a lot of ugly campaigning, with Democrats trying to leverage the SCOTUS decisions, and the GOP trying to make the decisions fade away.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-06-27 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I doubt it but if this is true then I blame them Jewish space lasers and Venezuela. Also don't forget that evil Chinese bamboo. You can never trust them Chinese forms laced with Chinese bamboo that can magically change what you wrote.

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-06-27 11:37 AM | Reply

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-06-27 11:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Or they're switching to vote in primaries and try to get some sense of moderacy to the GOP.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2022-06-27 01:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

If I lived in a district/state that was running QAnon/Trump endorsed candidate/s, I'd consider switching my registration this election cycle so I could vote against them and keep the craziest of the crazies off the ballot.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-06-27 02:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What Gal said is actually happening. Dems are switching parties to vote out the heinous MAGA candidate so they don't even reach their general election, then they switch back for the general. So this is a real bad news for Sir Gracie's treason weasel party.

#6 | Posted by a_monson at 2022-06-27 02:53 PM | Reply

-Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It will be progressives who start the fire.

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2022-06-27 08:54 PM | Reply

#4,5 and 6 I'm independent so in my state I can chose the primary I vote in so I went republican primary for just the reasons you mention. It didn't work the crazies still got the nom.

I would not be too sure that many of those switches are to vote against the crazy. People are worried about the economy, inflation, etc. and Biden is not doing a good job getting the message out about what he is doing to provide a sense of stability.

Sad part is I think people are talking themselves into a recession mostly what I see is people doing fine. The same ones who didn't benefit from the soaring stock market aren't hurt by it's falling. Folks who own with a fixed mortgage aren't hurt by interest rates. Labor market is still tight enough that most people have job security. I hear lots of doom and gloom but down here in the trenches things are chugging along.

#8 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-06-27 09:20 PM | Reply

@#8 ... I'm independent so in my state I can chose the primary ...

Here in Connecticut, the Independents are a party made up of what seems to be people who do not like being called Republicans.

If you do not want to register as a Democrat or a Republican, then you check the "unaffiliated" box when you register.

Unaffiliated voters cannot vote in primaries here in CT.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-06-27 10:50 PM | Reply

Glad it's not that way here. I was originally registered Libertarian but a couple decades ago they failed to meet the requirements to be a party so I was automatically switched to unaffiliated. When the libertarians got it together enough to become a party again I had learned the primary benefits of being unaffiliated so I didn't switch back. For one thing there is rarely a libertarian primary so registering as one doesn't do much.

My wife is actually grandfathered in as a legit independent and she can vote in all the primaries. Not pick one like us unaffiliated. She has only used it a couple times but it's kinda cool.

Thing is in a red state like this being registered as a democrat is almost worthless since you can only vote for who you want to see loose.

#10 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-06-28 06:20 AM | Reply

1 million more idiots...

This nation teeters on the edge of being
too stupid to adequately judge the path it
should take.

#11 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-06-28 06:22 AM | Reply

Tactical move to get the candidates that they want the Democrats to go up against in the general election. Nothing to be worried about.

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-06-28 06:45 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#11 | POSTED BY EARTHMUSE-Very well stated.

#13 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2022-06-28 09:37 AM | Reply

"vote for who you want to see loose."

I bet many people only vote for women because of that reason.

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-06-28 09:59 AM | Reply

lol...sure that wasn't a Fox News poll? MSNBC just had a poll
that more Americans are siding with the Democrats since Roe v Wade
overturn...

#15 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-06-28 11:25 AM | Reply

Since they don't bother to actually discuss the entire spectrum of party flips, this is just a partisan rant (no surprise coming from the source). The only takeaway from this is that drudge Libs have been exposed. Any time just one Rep flips to the Dems, it's posted on here and heralded as proof-positive Reps are losing everything. And when I post that it's a stupid argument because the entire spectrum isn't represented, I get bashed (typical Lib response).

So, here you are. Absolute proof that Dems don't own party swaps and it's not even close. Happens all the time by people on both sides. So posting about it does nothing but prove how wrong, hypocritical, and nonobjective you truly are.

#16 | Posted by humtake at 2022-06-28 12:53 PM | Reply

@#15 ... sure that wasn't a Fox News poll? ...

It was the result of the Associated Press analyzing voter registrations over the past year.

So the significant majority of the data is before the recent Supreme Court decisions.

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-06-28 12:56 PM | Reply

Locally, a significant # of Dems have switched, simply in attempt to primary Lauren Boebert. I wonder if similar is happening elsewhere?

#18 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2022-06-28 03:08 PM | Reply

We need a steady stream of articles like this one to present the idea that Democrats are not going to completely blow out Republicans in the coming elections, so that when Democrats completely blow out Republicans in the coming elections, they can claim vOtEr FrAud!

#19 | Posted by chuffy at 2022-06-28 07:56 PM | Reply

Dovetails well with this story:

Retail Workers Increasingly Fear for Their Safety

#20 | Posted by Angrydad at 2022-06-28 08:19 PM | Reply

1 million more idiots...
This nation teeters on the edge of being
too stupid to adequately judge the path it
should take.

#11 | POSTED BY EARTHMUSE AT 2022-06-28 06:22 AM | FLAG:

As the 2020 election showed us. Sorry Muse but the country is seeing what electing Dem majorities will get them and no matter how you spin it you can't make it look good.

#21 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-06-29 10:15 AM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY FISHPAW

As usual we're seeing the Dems trying to fix Repub messes and taking the heat for them.

Your party is killing the US. Your worldview is killing the US. You are killing the US.

You and people like you are the problem. Antiquated, bitter, miserable boomers who lived one of the richest lives in history but think you deserved more.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2022-06-29 10:20 AM | Reply

New poll puts Dems ahead of Repugs %48-%41 across the board, thanks to Roe, so...whatever. I'm sure that's terrible news for Democrats because rEaSoNS.

#23 | Posted by chuffy at 2022-06-29 06:40 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY CHUFFY

That's with a generic dem; not the revolving circus the DNC is putting forth again next election.

#24 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2022-06-29 09:01 PM | Reply

"not the revolving circus the DNC"

Who are the revolving circus Dems of whom you speak? I don't know what that term means, but how does it apply to candidates like Fetterman, Ryan, Warnock?

#25 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-06-29 09:32 PM | Reply

Spoken like someone who makes sure we avoid electing just enough Democrats to do things like appoint decent human beings to the Supreme Court and enact legislation that makes our lives better. Not sure which unicorns you think are better than the evil DNC Democrats, but all this train of thought leads to is exactly what we said would happen when it was trotted out in 2000, 2004, 2016 and in every Congressional election since Clinton was at the helm. Not enough I Told You So's to cover the overwhelming short-sightedness of this perspective.

#26 | Posted by chuffy at 2022-06-30 03:35 PM | Reply