Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Ohio Republican Senate nominee claimed people "shift spouses like they change their underwear," and that it had damaged a generation of children.

Comments

Here's the video:

JD Vance thinks parents should stay in violent marriages "for the sake of their kids." That's not just wrong, it's unbelievably dangerous.
twitter.com

Here's the quote:

"This is one of the great tricks that I think the sexual revolution pulled on the American populace, which is the idea that like, well, OK, these marriages were fundamentally, you know, they were maybe even violent, but certainly they were unhappy. And so getting rid of them and making it easier for people to shift spouses like they change their underwear, that's going to make people happier in the long term,'" Vance said.

"And maybe it worked out for the moms and dads, though I'm skeptical. But it really didn't work out for the kids of those marriages," Vance continued. "And that's what I think all of us should be honest about, is we've run this experiment in real time. And what we have is a lot of very, very real family dysfunction that's making our kids unhappy."

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-26 06:46 AM | Reply

Was the 11 year old daughter in this horrific scenario Vance's mother? If so, it would go a long way in explaining her subsequent addiction, multiple partners and rage:

Vance recounted his own tragic experiences with domestic violence in his best-selling memoir Hillbilly Elegy, including details of his grandparents' sometimes "violent marriage,'' describing his grandfather as a "violent drunk" before he got sober and his grandmother as a "violent nondrunk." In one instance before he was born, his grandmother warned his grandfather that she'd kill him if he ever came home drunk again. When he did, she went to make good on that threat.

"Mamaw, never one to tell a lie, calmly retrieved a gasoline canister from the garage, poured it all over her husband, lit a match, and dropped it on his chest. When Papaw burst into flames, their 11-year-old daughter jumped into action to put out the fire and save his life," Vance writes.

But Vance's grandparents' relationship had improved by the time he was a child--and he writes that they were by far the most stable in his life as he was growing up, offering him a refuge from the chaos created by his mother as she struggled with opiate addiction and cycled through multiple partners.

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-26 07:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

PS Is this accurate?:

JD Vance blatantly lied when he claimed " My grandparents had an incredibly chaotic marriage in a lot of ways, but they never got divorced, right?" Really? Then what about this 1981 divorce decree?
twitter.com

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-26 08:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

At least during my and Eberly's lifetime, GOP has always been about controlling women.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-26 09:37 AM | Reply

Jesus allowed for divorce.

Vance has described himself as a church-going man.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2022-07-26 10:20 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Vance has proven himself just another hillbilly fascist with all the regard for truth as any fascist.

The people who raised him and he grew up with----They pulled a gun on each other at the drop of a hat, and often without anything we would recognize as objective cause.

Useful in understanding where "conservatism" is now.

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2022-07-26 10:23 AM | Reply

The Republican party views women as property.

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-07-26 11:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Of course this is the best the GOP has to offer.

They've increasingly become the party of the bottom of the barrel and it's only going to get worse.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2022-07-26 11:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Republicans outlawing divorce?

Freedom is not big with conservatives anymore.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-07-26 12:21 PM | Reply

Barefoot, pregnant and trapped.

Sounds good to me.

#10 | Posted by fresno500 at 2022-07-26 07:04 PM | Reply

I am praying with you at this important time when your country decides on the question of divorce. My prayer is that you be faithful to the teaching of Jesus: "a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife and they become one body. What God has put together, let no one divide". Our hearts are made to love " a love that is, not only unconditional but also lasting.
What is the meaning of true love in marriage? A man and a woman who really love each other will never promise, when they marry, "I will love you and be true " for a while".
They always promise "I will love you for ever and always be true no matter what happens and no matter what you do".
Breaking the vow of marriage to be faithful until death is not only against true love but it also hurts the children in a special way.

-hillbilly fascist known as "mother Teresa"

#11 | Posted by BluSky at 2022-07-26 07:53 PM | Reply

I'm always suspicious when I see the word "suggests" in a headline. Then the actual article brings it down to "seems to suggest ". I usually stop there knowing unsupported -------- will follow,
But I read the whole article. I don't know anything about Vance, but it is clear that he DIDNOT suggest people in violent marriages shouldn't get divorced.

#12 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 03:23 AM | Reply

"#12 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7 AT 2022-07-27 03:23 AM "

Way too many media outlets run with *shock* but totally inaccurate headlines as click-bait, particularly the more partisan outlets but it's creeping into the more mainstream outlets as well.

When it comes to political/cultural issues, anyone who isn't diversifying their new consumption is a fool.

#13 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-07-27 03:33 AM | Reply

Instead of suggests I would have gone with implies. JD Vance implies parents in violent marriages should stay together for the sake of their kids:

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-27 04:21 AM | Reply

he DIDNOT suggest people in violent marriages shouldn't get divorced.

He bemoaned that people in marriages that "maybe were even violent" getting divorced "didnt work out for the kids." He characterized that as a "trick" that the sexual revolution pulled on the populace. I'm nor seeing the difference between saying something is bad and saying it shouldn't happen, but if that's the pin you want to dance on dont let me stop you.

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2022-07-27 05:01 AM | Reply

Of course, it's easier to run with a pedantic parsing complaint about headlines than it is to confront the fact that your party is dominated by regressive apes who say and do terrible things every day, ao i can see why you'd be motivated to take this route.

#16 | Posted by JOE at 2022-07-27 05:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good job taking individual phrases out of a lengthy interview and stringing them together out of order and out of context to come up with some sort of hidden message that he sort of maybe might have implied, depending on how you choose to interpret it.

You are the one "pedantic parsing" and dancing on the head of a pin. Your conclusion ( that he believes people should stay in violent marriages) is entirely unsupported and is contradicted by the interview as a whole. Making a false headline out of that sort of misrepresentation is intellectually dishonest and deliberately divisive. And that's YOUR party creating this sort of fiction to prop up your faux moral outrage.

If Republicans are doing terrible things everyday, why don't you talk about those terrible things, instead of manufacturing talking points about what one of them might have sort of implied or suggested.

As for my party, once again, you arrogantly assume that because I disagree this sort of partisan propaganda that I must be a Republican. I am not a Republican.

#17 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 06:36 AM | Reply

www.theamericanconservative.com
To be clear about all this, he is a fairly recent convert to the religious system of the foreign nation, the Vatican, one that for hundreds of years has purposely subverted women's rights and human rights of all to get divorce, or, for that matter, to have things like death with dignity laws. He is an idiot. Yes, I voted for Joe Biden but he doesn't impose his belief system on the rest of us.

#18 | Posted by Hughmass at 2022-07-27 07:11 AM | Reply

I listen to the longer interview that was included with the article before I posted it here to make sure the shorter segment I posted in #1 wasn't taken out of context. I don't think it was. It seems pretty clear Vance is championing "the sanctity of marriage" especially for the sake of the children involved even if those marriages are chaotic and/or violent because he believes divorce has resulted in "a lot of very, very real family dysfunction that's making our kids unhappy."

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-27 09:35 AM | Reply

I listen = I listened

#20 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-27 09:38 AM | Reply

None of the other words change what he meant, you absolute moron. He clearly stated that the sexual revolution encouraged divorce, including from marriages that "were maybe even violent," and that such divorces really didn't work out for the kids."

If you don't believe that's what he said, then you are incapable of understanding english. I'm sorry you're this retarded but it's not my problem.

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2022-07-27 10:30 AM | Reply

No, i know, you're a "Libertarian," i.e. a Republican too embarrassed to admit they're a Republican. If everyone who claimed they were a "Libertarian" actually was one, Republicans would never win an election. You just jump to every single Republican's defense in every single thread and argue on behalf of every single Republican politician and policy - but totally not a Republican!

#22 | Posted by JOE at 2022-07-27 10:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This tells me so much of why he is the way he is.

More of them family values they love to boast about.

#23 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-07-27 10:59 AM | Reply

The Ohio Republican Senate nominee, talking to Pacifica Christian High School in Southern California last September, gave an extended answer that claimed that people now "shift spouses like they change their underwear," and that it had done long-term damage to a generation of children.

Looking right at you Fat Donnie Fail, Rush Limbaugh, Noot Gingrich, etc.

#24 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-07-27 11:08 AM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2022-07-27 09:35 AM | FLAG:
I agree with everything you said except the "even if" part.

He talked alot couples trading spouses too easily. He talked a lot about divorce being hard on kids. He talked a lot about domestic violence being really bad. He related his personal experiences. He didn't say weigh those things against each other or say "even if".

#25 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 02:14 PM | Reply

Not even close. You are so simplistic you believe everybody must be one or the other. There are a lot of people who think for themselves and don't fall into either left or right pigeonholes you narrow minded -------- insist on putting them in. I'm really not firmly in the Libertarian camp either. I think for myself.

My posts are nearly always about correcting misinformation. That's nonpartisan, but Considering virtually every post on this board is about attacking Republicans, and I am closer to the center, that's what it's going to look like to someone like you.

And by someone like you I mean a man/child who can't think critically or have an adult conversation without the use of 3rd grade insults. Says way more about you than me, Joe

#26 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 02:23 PM | Reply

It's funny how he goes on about his grandparents stayed married through everything as a good idea. Then goes on about his mom was a drug addict.
Little bit of a disconnect here.

#27 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-07-27 02:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yes he did talk about how his grandparents stayed married and that it was a pretty ------ environment. No he didn't say it was a good idea that they stayed married, just that they did.

#28 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 02:26 PM | Reply

People do get divorced to often and it is bad for kids.

But if violence is common in your marriage GTFO out of it.

IIRC even the SBC say that while they don't approve of divorce they don't want people dying from lack of one either.

#29 | Posted by Tor at 2022-07-27 02:34 PM | Reply

JD Vance: typical "pro-life" Republican who doesn't give a s*** about "life" unless it's zygotes or embryos.

#30 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-07-27 02:36 PM | Reply

He did weigh those things against each other, however, and the 'even if' was most certainly implied when Vance held up his grandparents' marriage as a praiseworthy example of a couple who honored the sanctity of marriage by not getting a divorce, despite fact that their marriage was "chaotic" and "violent" and involved one of their children (JD's mother?) needing to douse the flames on his grandfather's body in order to save his life after his grandmother had poured gasoline on and lit him on fire. As if not getting divorced was some sort of great accomplish meant and as if having her parents divorce would have been more traumatic than having to witness and intervene in that kind of homicidal rage between her parents at 11 years old.

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-27 02:37 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday

People HAD to stay married until 1969 unless one party could prove adultery.

I was surprised to read there was truly "no-fault divorce" in only 19 states until this past April when The Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act of 2020 came into force.

#32 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-07-27 02:51 PM | Reply

...he didn't say it was a good idea that they stayed married...
#28 | Posted by Miranda7

Except that's the whole point of the article.

#33 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-07-27 03:01 PM | Reply

Yes, the whole article was about marriage, all kinds of marriages.,

#34 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 03:14 PM | Reply

I'm pretty much done here. I don't know anything about this guy and don't have a dog in this fight. He sounds like he's had a hell of a rough upbringing and has a set of conflicting values as a result of being a kid who craved the closest thing to family and stability he could find. And he's telling his story and reflecting in a not so organized way, it's all over the place talking about different things as his perspective switches from abused child to husband to politician. but y'all want to jump on him and create a bunch of " seems like he was saying" conclusions instead of taking him at his word. Always looking for a "gotcha" angle.

#35 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-27 03:32 PM | Reply

I suppose you guys are right. There is no point to this article, he wrote it just to ramble on about various marriages and his grandparents marriage for no reason at all.
There is no amount of disconnect too wide for a right winger.

#36 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-07-27 04:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mea culpa.
I see now that he did not write the article, the article is about an interview he did.

#37 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-07-27 04:48 PM | Reply

How can you tell if JD Vance is pandering or lying?

His lips are moving.

#38 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-07-27 06:00 PM | Reply

Poor JD Vance only had one parent to throw under the bus for his book.

Tough life.

#39 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-07-27 06:00 PM | Reply

"You got a quote? I didn't see anywhere him referring to his grandparents marriage as a praiseworthy example. I think you are reading into it what you want to read into it."

Vance praises couples like his grandparents who viewed marriage as "sacred" and for whom their vows were "really important" in contrast with people who change "spouses like they change their underwear":

"Culturally, something has clearly shifted. I think it's easy but also probably true to blame the sexual revolution of the 1960s. My grandparents had an incredibly chaotic marriage in a lot of ways, but they never got divorced, right? They were together to the end, 'til death do us part. That was a really important thing to my grandmother and my grandfather. That was clearly not true by the 70s or 80s," he said.

"And I think that probably, I was personally and a lot of kids in my community, who grew up in my generation, personally suffered from the fact that a lot of moms and dads saw marriage as a basic contract, right? Like any other business deal, once it becomes no longer good for one of the parties or both of the parties, you just dissolve it and go onto a new business relationship. But that recognition that marriage was sacred I think was a really powerful thing that held a lot of families together. And when it disappeared, unfortunately I think a lot of kids suffered," Vance said.

If you don't like the false dichotomy that Vance has set up, don't blame me for pointing it out.

#40 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-27 08:15 PM | Reply

I think it is YOu setting up a false dichotomy, which is the idea that if you are against easy divorce you are for domestic violence.It's not that simple and his stories relate the complexities, and extremes.

He, is candid about his grandparents horrible marriage, and how it damaged him, he didn't praise them, he related their story as an extreme example of how previous generations saw marriage, People today who change their spouses like underwear are the other extreme. The idea that those are the only two choices is YOUR false dichotomy, not his. The overriding message I got is that people should take vows seriously and try harder to make their marriages work, not that they should stay in a violent marriage.

#41 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-28 03:44 AM | Reply

#41 | Posted by Miranda7

You got a partner or that dance?

#42 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-07-28 09:09 AM | Reply

JD Vance "suggests" people in violent marriages not get a divorce? Well, it does not mean anything. It is just a suggestion. Like if a bunch of us suggest that JD Vance be beaten over the head with baseball bats or have his balls pounded into mush with hammers, it doesn't mean anything. It's just a suggestion.

Why are so many rightwingers so loathsome?

#43 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-07-28 05:10 PM | Reply

"But then again, I was being objective and fair. I don't think it is fair to judge a very rambling disorganized interview as though it were an organized, edited position statement, then pluck out a few lines and make a story out of it."

Vance's belief in the sanctity of marriage is something he has talked about before and wants create public policy to promote:

In March, at a forum hosted by Toledo Right to Life, he [Vance] said that "marriage is a lifelong union between a man and a woman," adding: "The entire idea that you can discard your husband or your wife like a piece of clothing is one of the most dangerous assaults that we've ever seen on the family in this country. If we want children to grow up with healthy, happy lives, we should be reminding them that the most important thing that we can do for our kids is make sure they grow up with a mom and dad at home. The assault on the institution of marriage has been a profound evil. It hasn't just affected our adults, it's affected our children in big ways."

www.vanityfair.com

#44 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-28 10:18 PM | Reply

"He, is candid about his grandparents horrible marriage, and how it damaged him, he didn't praise them, he related their story as an extreme example of how previous generations saw marriage,"

Link?

#45 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-28 10:24 PM | Reply

#44 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Do you agree or disagree with his statement?

I don't disagree with him, divorce should be the exception not the rule.

I don't really care what happened to his GP's or his statements regarding them. Do you hold Al Gore to the same standards regarding climate change? I don't, but YMMV.

#46 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-07-28 10:38 PM | Reply