Saturday, July 30, 2022

Abortion bans force ethics committees to determine when a pregnancy is lethal enough to justify termination.

Comments

MFA:

Many states have banned or severely restricted abortion since the Supreme Court overturned Roe on June 24, enacting laws with extremely vague and narrow exceptions for the life of the mother. Health care providers have legitimate concerns that they will face civil and criminal liability if they terminate a pregnancy under any circumstances. They worry that judges, juries, and prosecutors will disagree that the patient had a true medical emergency. And so the decision shifts from the patient to the hospital, which frequently places these delicate considerations in the hands of ethics committees.

After Roe's fall, ethics committees are taking on a new responsibility: determining whether a pregnant patient suffering a medical emergency may lawfully obtain an abortion. This task is actually a throwback to the 1960s and early 1970s, when states required hospitals to use "abortion committees" that decdied when a pregnancy was dangerous enough to merit termination. The Supreme Court struck down those laws in a companion case to Roe, finding them "unduly restrictive of the patient's rights and needs." That decision, of course, has now been overturned. So, in 2022, committees formed for different purposes are suddenly undertaking a job that had been deemed unconstitutional since 1973: giving an up-or-down vote on an emergency abortion.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-29 10:20 PM | Reply

Death Panels.
Thanks, GOP!

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-30 09:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Death panels, sharia law, using government institutions to punish Americans - - all confessions made via accusations by "conservatives"

#3 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-07-30 10:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Answer: When they travel to a Free State.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-07-30 10:48 AM | Reply

I think that they are all just expected to die.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2022-07-30 10:58 AM | Reply

OMFG!

Nevermind, it's "Slate"

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-07-30 11:05 AM | Reply

Why any woman of childbearing age would live in a red state is beyond me. They don't value your life

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-07-30 11:10 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY LFTENDTURDS AT 2022-07-30 11:05 AM | FLAG: EYE ROLL

Care to argue the point with something meaningful?

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-07-30 11:13 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE

They're too poor to escape.

That's how poverty works. It's like a roach motel, with plenty of false exits and the only real exits are sports or rap... wait those don't really count if you're a black woman.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-30 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Nevermind, it's "Slate"

#6 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRD

Sure FOXHOLE.

Doesn't affect you so who cares?

Right?

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-07-30 12:03 PM | Reply

Reminds me of the righties complaining about ObamaCare deciding healthcare through committee.

MaGATs

#11 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-07-30 12:32 PM | Reply

MaGATs

#11 | POSTED BY ONEIRONAUT AT 2022-07-30 12:32 PM | REPLY

Back when we were told we could "keep your doctor"

#12 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-07-30 01:10 PM | Reply

"When Can Dying Patients Get a Lifesaving Abortion?"

After they're dead.

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-07-30 01:16 PM | Reply

According to Miranda back alley abortions are the solution.

#14 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-30 01:24 PM | Reply

You are a lying POS. I'm not sure how you wake up in the morning and face yourself in the mirror, knowing the only way you can get ahead in life is by fabricating stories about other people. You are a bonafude sociopath and need to seek help.

#15 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-30 01:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm not sure why you get off effing with people and deliberately misrepresenting their positions to suit your needs. You are warped and delusional.

#16 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-30 01:39 PM | Reply

You are a bonafude sociopath and need to seek help.

Or run for office.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-07-30 01:40 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

Miranda, a back-alley abortion is EXACTLY what you are advocating. You are advocating that doctors take on the responsibility for abortions when the medical and legal profession say it is or might be illegal. Therefore, doctors providing abortions are either performing an illegal or potentially illegal activity. They would have to perform the abortion outside of the legal framework. That is the definition of a back-alley abortion.

Again, using the Texas woman's story. With the fetus alive and the woman's life not in any immediate danger an abortion would be illegal. that is not even debatable. So, you advocate for an illegal abortion aka back-alley abortion.

I'm sorry you find the conclusion objectionable but that is what it is. I get it, back-alley abortion has an abominable connotation. Sometimes the issue has to be framed a certain way for it to sink in-iow truth hurts

Now I know you will respond that an abortion prior to the fetus' death would have been legal, but that simply isn't true.

As you pointed out, Texas law: "Medical emergency" means a life-threatening physical condition aggravated by, caused by, or arising from a pregnancy that, as certified by a physician, places the woman in danger of death or a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function unless an abortion is performed.

the woman's life or impairment of major bodily function was not at risk upon the initial loss of the amniotic fluid. From what I gather from the article there was a very small possibility the fetus could have survived 7 to 8 weeks for it to become viable (with severe health issues). So, again, your argument simply fails.

#18 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-30 01:48 PM | Reply

Now consider the 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio.

A 10-year-old being pregnant is self-evidently a threat to that child's life.

Yet Ohio doctors said they could not provide her with an abortion.

For the Ohio doctors to perform an abortion they would have had to perform an illegal abortion, aka a back-alley abortion.

Fortunately for that child she has an alternative available.

#19 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-30 01:52 PM | Reply

How about this scenario Miranda

A woman gets pregnant. A few weeks later she finds out she has an aggressive form of cancer. In order for her to have a chance at survival she will have to receive aggressive chemo and radiation therapy which will likely either kill or severely damage the fetus.

Since her immediate life is not at risk, she does not meet the life-threatening emergency loophole.

I presume you believe the doctor should have the courage to provide her with an abortion.

For her to receive an abortion in a -------- state, the abortion would be illegal, aka a back-alley abortion.

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-30 01:55 PM | Reply

I'm not gonna continue to go around in circles with you and your convoluted word games, trying to tell ME what I meant, and assigning positions to me I have never taken. I've made my position very clear and that is not it. You can't handle it when someone disagreees with you, I get it. Stop dragging your personal vendetta against me to multiple threads.

I'm willing to discuss any issue with anybody who can argue with intellectual honesty and some level of respect for the opinions of others. You have proven you can't do that, so I am adding you to my list of people I will no longer respond to. That makes two of you. Snoofy is the other one.

#21 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-30 02:04 PM | Reply

IOW you have no response and want to whine

#22 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-30 02:06 PM | Reply

" trying to tell ME what I meant"

It's real simple, Miranda7.
You support Dobbs, thus you support the consequences of Dobbs.
We shouldn't have to tell you that. You should be able to figure it out yourself.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-30 02:07 PM | Reply

There is little difference between directly arguing for back alley abortions and arguing to make abortions so nearly impossible to obtain that the back alley is the only viable option remaining.

#24 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-07-30 02:15 PM | Reply

Doctors take an oath to do the best they can for their patients. Now they'll be forced to consider not just the medical circumstances but the legal ramifications as well.

At a time when we're already short on OBGYNs, we're going to layer on the prospect of criminal charges if they make a judgment call that some backward, patriarchal, religious zealot wants to challenge? Who would want to deal with that?

#25 | Posted by cbob at 2022-07-30 02:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#24 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2022-07-30 02:15 PM | FLAG:

I haven't argued for that either, I have made it explicitly clear I am NOT in favor of ANY of these laws.

#26 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-30 02:53 PM | Reply

Miranda you have your head buried in the sand. Your argument comes down to doctors should ignore any potential liability and do abortions. The theoretical and real life examples presented over the past few days show that the abortions you claim the doctor can do are illegal. That is crystal clear. You want that to not be the case, but you are wrong. I get that that is hard to accept, but it is reality we are facing. And let me be perfectly clear, any illegal abortion IS a back-alley abortion-by definition.

#27 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-30 03:22 PM | Reply

#27 I told you I'm not responding to your strawman arguments anymore. You're going to have to agree to disagree with me and let go of your obsession. Take a break and manipulate someone else's words for a little while.

#28 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-30 03:42 PM | Reply

He'll continue to troll you for attention.

He's that desperate and pathetic.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-30 04:46 PM | Reply

#27 I told you I'm not responding to your strawman arguments anymore.

It's not a straw man.
Here are your own words about Roe.
It's obvious you were in favor of repealing Roe.
Even Eberly can see it, Miranda7. Even Eberly.

quote:
Roe v Wade was a fine and detailed work of judicial activism designed to behave like a statute. It was destined to fail at some point. First, because because it is beyond the scope of the judicial branch to write legislation and second, it was built on a foundation the constitution only precariously supported.
Statutory law is the responsibility of the Legislative branch, and they had a duty to codify Roe some form Alternatively they could have worked to shore up the foundation with long overdue Constitutional Amendments to support modern ideals of human rights. They failed to do either.
I don't think they ever tried because they knew they didn't have the votes. Even during the times when they held both houses and the Presidency, a codification of Roe would not have survived the Democratic process.
They should have been working on a compromise bill that would. It's time to get that done.
#29 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7 AT 2022-07-09 08:17 AM

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-30 08:54 PM | Reply

He'll continue to troll you for attention.

He's that desperate and pathetic.
#29 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2022-07-30 04:46 PM | FLAG:

Lol, Eberly was talking about YOU TRUTHHURTS, and he was right.

Pretty pathetic to drag posts from one thread to another, and pretty desperate to "interpret" the words of others through your distorted lens instead of accepting them at face value.

Nevertheless, I stand behind my words. The post you quoted means exactly what it says and nothing more. Recognizing WHY Roe failed doesn't mean I wanted it to fail. I didn't.

#31 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-07-31 08:31 AM | Reply

FWIW, I disagree that bringing relevant posts from other threads is "pretty pathetic". I do it myself from time to time when I think it's apropos.

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-07-31 08:43 AM | Reply

"Recognizing WHY Roe failed doesn't mean I wanted it to fail. I didn't."

It's impossibile to believe that you, a self-proclaimed Pro Lifer, didn't want Roe to fail.

You can understand that, I'm sure.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 09:46 AM | Reply

You called Roe "judicial activism."

It's impossibile to believe you didn't want this act of judicial activism to be corrected

You spelled out all the opportunities the legislature had to codify Roe, blamed them for not doing it, and used that to justify repealing Roe.

You think Roe was judicial activism and you think the Supreme Court set that right with Dobbs.

So no, you don't support Roe.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 09:50 AM | Reply

"Pretty pathetic to drag posts from one thread to another"

Why shouldn't what a person posts be taken in context of their posting history? One could argue that a specific instance was or was not appropriate but I don't see any honest justification for a blanket ban of the practice.

#35 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-07-31 09:53 AM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY MIRANDA

Pretty pathetic to drag posts from one thread to another
Nevertheless, I stand behind my words.

LOL

You can't make this stuff up.

Truth Hurts Donut

#36 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 09:58 AM | Reply

"Now, how about you stop making this about me and move on to offering some realistic solutions."

We already know it. The only realistic solution, as seen in both the Ohio and Texas cases, is to seek medical care in a State that doesn't have a heartbeat law.

Congratulations, Republicans.
You Built That.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 10:00 AM | Reply

Miranda, I am accepting your words at face value.

I am solely reflecting them back at you in terms of reality.

You state doctors lack courage to perform abortions. Those situations where abortion need courage are, questionably legal AT BEST. Several examples have been presented showing you that situation in real life. So, you want doctors to perform what is, at best, most likely illegal (or outright) illegal abortions. Illegal abortions are by definition back-alley abortions. Thus, you support back-alley abortions. I get it, back-alley abortions have a negative connotation, and you don't want to believe you are advocating for them. I get it, that would be reprehensible. But the objective fact is that is what you are supporting.

You say doctors should just do the abortion, but doctors operate within a medical framework meaning hospitals, technicians, nurses, administrators, support staff all would be involved in that decision making process. Especially in the controversial cases ie potential medical emergency cases, pregnant children. Therefore, a whole slew of people have to provide the assistance in that situation, they ALL have to make the decision to provide the abortion. Again, these are IRREFUTABLE BACTS. In states they have and are planning a variety of penalties to doctors AND others who provide abortions ranging from felony indictments to bounties on anyone assisting in the abortion. Again, irrefutable facts.

So, your solution is that a whole slew of people have to face, at best, onerous attacks ranging from going to prison or fighting lawsuits that will cost the people filing the lawsuits absolutely nothing.

That is the obvious result of what you advocate for.

#38 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 10:08 AM | Reply

#38 I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see it.

In fact, we may have arrived at the endgame, where Miranda7 is the only one who can't see it.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 10:12 AM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

Taking a grass roots approach and attempting to influence an individual is a realistic solution (one among many). By pointing out the error of your ways, the hypocrisy in your beliefs, the harm that the policies you support, the ramifications of the votes that you make is one of the most effective ways possible to effect change. Yes, that method requires you, the target, to accept criticism and be mature. Because YOU have to accept that your votes for republican politicians has resulted in the stripping away of the rights for women. Truth Hurts. The truth hurts because YOU need to understand that YOU are mistaken in your beliefs. Not necessarily in a belief that abortion should be regulated due to some perception you have over the value of a fetus, but in the way that regulation is now being implemented. Because YOUR beliefs ignore the negative impacts of those decisions. And maybe other people who see this debate will reflect on their actions and consider the results of the policies they support.

And I am not saying necessarily that you support barbaric fetal heartbeat laws or no exclusions for rape or ------. I am saying that the barbarism we are seeing is the obvious result of overturning roe. And I will not let you or anyone else thread a needle that you supported overturning roe without supporting the obvious results of overturning roe. Because YOU need to understand and accept that that is the natural result of YOUR choice.

#40 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 10:20 AM | Reply

BTW there are no simple short-term solutions. There are radical short-term solutions and hard long-term solutions, but no simple and easy to implement short term solutions.

The radicals who overturned roe and implemented a massive societal upheaval have been working towards that goal for decades.

We have been warning you, screaming at you, that the inevitable result of overturning roe would be abysmal, that it would cause tragedies for many many people. And this is only the short-term impact. The long-term impact will be increases in poverty and crime. It will, in the long term, have a major impact on women's roles in society. Many women's lives will now be decided by pregnancies when they are young. That is an irrefutable fact. This will limit many women's ability to get educated, to pursue careers, to be independent financially. And that is barbaric, something that pulls society backwards. And THAT end should be rejected by anyone who does not hate women.

But a lot of people hate women.

#41 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 10:31 AM | Reply

Miranda7 will go to the grave, still refusing to acknowledge that repealing Roe is the only reason anything needs "fixing" in the first place.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 10:42 AM | Reply

-Now, how about you stop making this about me and move on to offering some realistic solutions.

Are you serious? It will be about you. And me since I chimed in.

Thin skinned folks like twoothy are so excited by the reversal of Roe they just can't contain themselves. Their only outlet is this place to attack others (anonymously of course ... .so brave) assign positions to them, and offer nothing except accusations of hatred.

The hatred of course is in their own heart. They know it but it's quite painful to accept.

Keep in mind, it's dammed likely this issue hits home for them in profound ways.

#43 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 10:53 AM | Reply

-Because YOU need to understand and accept that that is the natural result of YOUR choice.

LOL

#44 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 10:54 AM | Reply

-And I will not let you or anyone else thread a needle that you supported overturning roe without supporting the obvious results of overturning roe.

Yes you will.

#45 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 10:55 AM | Reply

#43 | POSTED BY EBERLY

And it doesn't for you, the father of a bunch of ripe virgins?
It hits home for everybody.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 10:56 AM | Reply

"assign positions to them"

Better to stay on the fence, right?
Or did Eberly actually support Roe, unlike Miranda7 who called it "judicial activism?"

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 10:59 AM | Reply

Piss poor effort at trolling eberly you jackass

#48 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 11:13 AM | Reply

Poor twoothy being the victim once again.

And of course it's my fault.

It's my fault some soon to be knocked up 19 year old's life is potentially shattered.

As though I got them pregnant then I stood between them and their abortion procedure.

Because I really hate them.

#49 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:32 PM | Reply

"I stood between them and their abortion procedure."

Your party did that.

Credit where credit is due, Eberly.

#50 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 01:36 PM | Reply

Obviously the energizer bunny is posting and no doubt addressing me.

Not a ---- is being given. Not a single one.

People like twoothy and EB just want their abortions. Nothing else to be discussed. It's too complex to get into the weeds as to how laws work nor the paths taken to get rights established.

Rather, just attack people while hiding behind anonymity.

Such courage. We should all applaud their selfless efforts here, people!!

#51 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:36 PM | Reply

"Because I really hate them."

Isn't it more accurate to say you don't care about them one way or the other, just like you say Liberals don't care about Tesla's labor practices one way or the other?

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 01:36 PM | Reply

Poor twoothy being the victim once again.
And of course it's my fault.
Because I really hate them.

#49 | POSTED BY EBERLY

You're a pathetic loser. I made one response to you calling you a piss poor troll.

And here you exhibit your pathetic modus operandi, trying to make a discussion about you.

---- off troll

#53 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 01:38 PM | Reply

"People like twoothy and EB just want their abortions. Nothing else to be discussed."

Generally, yes.

"It's too complex to get into the weeds as to how laws work nor the paths taken to get rights established."

That's a separate issue. It has nothing to do with being too complex. In fact it's very easy to understand. The Republicans fixed something that wasn't broken.

Surely you realize gay marriage and your daughters right to take ---- pills sits on the same legal foundation as Roe.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 01:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"make a discussion about you."

No, I'm making it about YOU!

Isn't it fun?

#55 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:39 PM | Reply

"make a discussion about you."
No, I'm making it about YOU!
Isn't it fun?

#55 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Poor twoothy being the victim once again.
And of course it's my fault.
Because I really hate them.
#49 | POSTED BY EBERLY

my
my
I
I
I

You're ------- pathetic

#56 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 01:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

----- off troll

At least you stumbled near the truth.

When you make everything about the poster you're chasing, then you are trolling.

Whether or not you realize it, you just admitted you and EB are NOTHING but trolling losers.

And nothing else.

Swallow it, -------------.

#57 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:42 PM | Reply

Twoothy, you aren't trying to find my real identity, are you?

No, you wouldn't do something like that ... ... would you??

#58 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:43 PM | Reply

I'm curious twoothy, how many aborted fetuses have your fathered?

EB has admitted to one. Maybe more.

Isn't it fun when I make it about you?

#59 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:45 PM | Reply

Again, ------- pathetic

But feel free to get the last word, I won't be responding to you on this thread again

#60 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-07-31 01:45 PM | Reply

"I'm curious twoothy, how many aborted fetuses have your fathered?"

I can't say for sure it was mine. It's not like they test for that.

Did you miss the part where the abortion was medically indicated, but her life was not in imminent danger, and thus her abortion would be illegal under a heartbeat law?

Think about that the next time you think about your children.

#61 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 01:47 PM | Reply

Fine.

#62 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:49 PM | Reply

All this fuss over a couple of dumbshts, Beverley and Miranda.

You boneheads need to find better boogeymen.

#63 | Posted by Angrydad at 2022-07-31 04:17 PM | Reply

-All this fuss over a couple of dumbshts,

It's always the same fuss. From the same boneheads.

It won't change. They're trolls. They'll never stop fussing over us dumbshts

#64 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 05:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 2