Saturday, July 30, 2022

I love my vehicle, but I really wish I didn't have to respond to my friends and family about his latest tweet'

Comments

More from the article...

...Dennis Levitt got his first Tesla, a blue Model S, in 2013, and loved it. "It was so much better than any car I've ever driven," the 73-year-old self-storage company executive says.

He bought into the brand as well as Elon Musk, Tesla Inc.'s charismatic chief executive officer, purchasing another Model S the following year and driving the first one across the country. In 2016, he stood in line at a showroom near his suburban Los Angeles home to be one of the first to order two Model 3s -- one for himself, the other for his wife.

"I was a total Musk fanboy," Levitt says.

Was, because while Levitt still loves his Teslas, he's soured on Musk. "Over time, his public statements have really come to bother me," Levitt said, citing the CEO's spats with U.S. President Joe Biden, among others. "He acts like a 7-year-old."

Before it was reported Musk had an affair with Sergey Brin's wife, which he's denied; before his slipshod deal, then no-deal, to acquire Twitter Inc.; before the revelation he fathered twins with an executive at his brain-interface startup Neuralink; before SpaceX fired employees who called him "a frequent source of distraction and embarrassment"; before his daughter changed her name and legal gender after his history of mocking pronouns; before an article said SpaceX paid an employee $250,000 to settle a claim he sexually harassed her, allegations he's called untrue; Musk's behavior was putting off prospective customers and perturbing some Tesla owners.

The trends have shown up in one consumer survey and market research report after another: Tesla commands high brand awareness, consideration and loyalty, and customers are mostly delighted by its cars. Musk's antics, on the other hand? They could do without....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-07-30 12:34 PM | Reply

Another rich kid breaking his toys

#2 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-07-31 05:58 AM | Reply

Not gonna lie I was hoping there would be somewhat wider consumer choices for EVs by now.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 10:44 AM | Reply

In the US market, here's 32 kinds of PHEV & 19 battery only models, with multiple trim levels as of about a year ago. More have come out since. MSRP $30k to $130k. That's without the high end exotics included, like LaFerrari. 370+ models available globally from micro cars to hyper cars.

#4 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 11:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And for regular cars?

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 11:03 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2022-07-30 12:34 PM | FLAG:

This has been the most amazing thing from a data perspective. Tesla has atrocious build quality and went from premium service to worst in the industry with the Model 3. It matters to every other brand, but not Tesla. It's a unicorn. A person can be sitting in a Tesla on fire and will start looking up what Model and features they want next. The only metric that seems to matter is the political favorability of Musk.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 11:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He's now a target of the LumperLeft pro-government extremist media.

While Global Climate change is important, shooting down Musk is now a higher priority.

#4 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

These stories don't even need to be real for the Lumpers to cream their pants.

Snoofy isn't a serious person with serious questions.

#7 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-07-31 11:16 AM | Reply

And for regular cars?

#5 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2022-07-31 11:03 AM | FLAG:

All models in the US, including exotics, 257. So 19.5% of vehicle models available are now PHEV or batter only, in car, SUV, and truck layouts. More when controlled for ultra low volume Lambo/Ferrari hybrids that aren't for the plebes, etc. Pretty decent selection but low volume.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 11:21 AM | Reply

@#6 ... This has been the most amazing thing from a data perspective. Tesla has atrocious build quality and went from premium service to worst in the industry with the Model 3. It matters to every other brand, but not Tesla. ...

That's the thing that surprises me as well.

I have a friend who owns a Tesla, and he describes the many, many trips to the repair shop. But he also told he that he'd buy another in an instant.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-07-31 11:21 AM | Reply

"Tesla has atrocious build quality and went from premium service to worst in the industry with the Model 3."

That doesn't necessarily mean much.

We've been mass producing automobiles for a century.

Everyone can make a reliable car these days.

The differences in quality compared to the 80s are such that there just aren't cars like the Yugo being sold in America any more.

In other words, on a ten point scale, you might be talking about a one point spread.

I know two people with Model 3s and I've heard zero complaint. (Not counting whoever owns one here; I don't know them personally.)

#10 | Posted by Snoofy at 2022-07-31 11:24 AM | Reply

Pretty decent selection but low volume.
#8 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

I think I'm waiting for Ultium and the like from other makers. I did like the Bolt or the Volt or whatever but I understand it was not a true platform.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 11:26 AM | Reply

#9 The people I know with Teslas love them much in the way Apple people love Macs and iPhones.

I know one guy who can't get his Model S up his own driveway when it snows, but that's not a good enough reason to get a different car. His wife has something with AWD, so at least there's that.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 11:29 AM | Reply

"All models in the US, including exotics, 257."

What's Europe, about 500?

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 11:29 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Just a normal part of the Dunning-Kruger journey of how civilization comes to grips with anthropogenic climate change.

The most enlightened folks are right now at the Urkel "Did I do that?" stage.

Republicans are still in outright denial, which is typically where they always are. (e.g., Miranda7 hasn't had her "Did I do that" moment on abortion yet. She still blames the Democrats.)

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 11:34 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2022-07-31 11:24 AM | FLAG:

Lexus is the A+ student, Tesla gets a D-. Stunningly high rework rate and a build quality showcasing their lack of institutional and automotive design knowledge. Designing deck lids that don't dump rain and snow into their compartments is basic. Issuing a UI update that completely reconfigures every menu in the car overnight and does away with basic UI design requirements is madness you don't see from established OEMs. They also engage in the super shady behavior of doing "goodwill" repairs instead of warranty replacement to dodge lemon laws. They're not the first to do it, but it's unethical to say the least.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 11:51 AM | Reply

What France really gets right is the Horsepower Tax. Their market is flush with reasonable, short range EV that are perfect for their driving distances while penalizing products like the Model S Plaid, Taycan, Hummer, etc.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 11:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I have a friend who owns a Tesla, and he describes the many, many trips to the repair shop."

Around here, Tesla repair comes to you. I've seen it multiple times.

#17 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-07-31 12:10 PM | Reply

"Issuing a UI update that completely reconfigures every menu in the car overnight and does away with basic UI design requirements is madness you don't see from established OEMs"

Microsoft is fine with doing that. Tesla is a software platform on wheels. That's what makes them good, despite being a double edged sword.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 12:17 PM | Reply

"EU numbers are more like 400 models with 72 mixed PHEV/EV, about 18% of the selection."

It just cracks me up how Americans, as much as they pat themselves on the back for being champions of Capitalism, have a smaller market of cars to choose from by about 35%, compared to Europe.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 12:18 PM | Reply

#1 | Posted by LampLighter

This is so true. I was always questioning of his "bravado" now he just acts like a child. Then again the donald seems to have brought that out in a lot of people. So many adult men acting like 6 and 7 year olds. Women too for that matter.

I was thinking Tesla even though they are ugly but now? Not so much.

#20 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2022-07-31 12:23 PM | Reply

@#17 ... Around here, Tesla repair comes to you. I've seen it multiple times. ...

My friend is in Europe.

#21 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-07-31 12:40 PM | Reply

@#17

thx, btw for mentioning that.

I didn't know there would be a difference between the US and Europe (or a country in Europe) in that respect, so I didn't mention my friend's location.

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-07-31 12:42 PM | Reply

"Then again the donald seems to have brought that out in a lot of people. "

Electing Obama, especially the second time, brought out the Donald in about fifty million people.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 12:52 PM | Reply

I don't know man. I feel like if you took a brand new Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra and drove them both like crazy for 5 years, one would come out the other end in a lot better shape and we all know which one that is.

#24 | Posted by JOE at 2022-07-31 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is just more anecdotal evidence that nobody gave a ---- about Tesla's awful record of employee treatment until just now when Musk jumped into political squabbles and social media comments. This of course followed by the announcement of moving to Texas.

Their problem was they bought a Tesla for the wrong reasons in the first place.

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:28 PM | Reply

#24 Do you think a F-150 kinda splits the difference there? Only asking because they're like #1 in sales forever.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 01:30 PM | Reply

"And it's also proof that many Tesla owners are admitting they bought them because Musk was cool. Now that he's not cool anymore, it's a problem for them ... ... because now the car isn't cool."

^
I don't know of any Tesla owners who fit this description.
You're just daydreaming for a way to pwn the libs.

The Tesla owner I know who thinks Musk is cool, he still thinks he's cool. Huge Steve Jobs fanboi too.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-07-31 01:35 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by JOE at 2022-07-31 01:38 PM | Reply

I know 3 Tesla owners, BTW

2 are stereotypical arrogant higher than almighty d-bags.

1 is not. But he bought his Tesla for different reasons.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 01:48 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2022-07-31 12:17 PM | FLAG:

Your desktop PC won't smash into another car while you're trying to figure out where a icon went.

Tesla is not a technology company though. It's a car marker. They haven't even made it past L2 autonomy.

#30 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 02:43 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2022-07-31 12:18 PM | FLAG:

It's a different flavor of capitalism. Until the advent of the EU as a unified trading bloc, it was a nationalist, regional competition between historical rivals. We didn't quite have that here and the US brands largely consolidated. Some conslidated and still died out. Oldsmobile had a 124 year run. US states fight over luring assembly plants in with crony capitalism instead of with competing brands.

#31 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 02:57 PM | Reply

I used to want a Tesla. With the center screen only idiocy of the 3, the yoke idiocy of the S, and the all-around idiocy of Musk, I don't want one any more.

I've got a Ford plug-in hybrid now. I think I'll stick with Ford next time around and get a Mustang.

In any case, this plug-in hybrid will be my last gas car of any kind.

#32 | Posted by DarkVader at 2022-07-31 05:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Teslas are status symbols for the terminally douchy.

I'm not talking about the first people who purchased Teslas thinking they were saving the planet.

I'm talking about the people who are buying them today.

Take a look, they're all douchebaggers.

#33 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-07-31 06:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

automotive innovators have been part of our political discourse for 100 years. Unfortunately their talents in manufacturing, design and efficiency didn't translate to understanding political movements such as Nazism. Henry Ford was very impressed with Hitler's Germany. I can respect Musk's brilliance in automotive engineering while not sharing any of his political beliefs.

#34 | Posted by danni at 2022-07-31 06:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The article doesn't even mention all his offenses.

He also tweeted that DEMOCRATS are the party that went insane, and republicans have stayed the same. This was AFTER republicans attempted violent fascist coup on live TV.

He also said in an interview that the only reason trump shouldnt be president again is because he's too old. And that democrats should not prosecute him for Jan 6th.

Then there's how he now endorses the party that denies climate change is even happening, or says climate change is GOOD.

He's a fascism defender. And a liar and scam artist. And his product quality is crap. And service is even worse.

My tesla is paid off now and I'm trying to get an i4 to replace it. Test drove a couple of them. The i4 is a better car. The only way tesla is better is the charging network. Only problem with the i4 is they're not making enough of them to satisfy everyone who wants to get rid of their tesla. And the tax credit is about to vanish for BMW because the dem's new EV credit in the bill was clearly written by GM lobbyists.

But I'll never buy another tesla. If I can't get an i4 I'll wait til an electric audi comes out. Or an electric 3 series.

#35 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-07-31 07:02 PM | Reply

2 are stereotypical arrogant higher than almighty d-bags.

#29 | Posted by eberly

Thats how all you neanderthals view people who are smarter than you and therefore care about climate change.

#36 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-07-31 07:03 PM | Reply

-My tesla is paid off now

Speaking of d-bags.

I haven't had a car payment in 25 years.

And I own 4.

#37 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 08:08 PM | Reply

-But I'll never buy another tesla

Exactly.

Elon hurt your feelings.

#38 | Posted by eberly at 2022-07-31 08:09 PM | Reply

#34 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2022-07-31 06:57 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Ford completely understood Nazism. He basically was one.

#39 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-07-31 08:37 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by JOE

Absolutely true. I have told this story many times. Brother-in-Law works for a Tier 1. He worked in Japan for a while. In Japan they were making vehicles with equipment they then shipped to the US. In Japan the tolerance was 3-5 mm on the panels. In the US exact same equipment and same model car and the tolerance became 10-15 mm.

Where I work we have seen the same thing when making tooling for the Japanese. Their tolerances are airplane level - big 3... Not so much. But I will say these are tight tolerances to begin with. Japanese are still about all about 1/3 the tolerance Amecirans do. Why? Because those tolerances add up piece by piece when building an Engine, Transmission or an entire car.

#40 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2022-07-31 09:31 PM | Reply

Poor liberals, they love EVs but not if the owner of the company does something personal that makes them mad.

#41 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-08-01 10:53 AM | Reply

#35 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2022-07-31 07:02 PM | REPLY | FLA

So you wont buy another American made EV because your wittle feelings was hurt but you'll buy a German made partial EV. Makes total sense.

#42 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-08-01 10:58 AM | Reply

Teslas are status symbols for the terminally douchy.
I'm talking about the people who are buying them today.
Take a look, they're all douchebaggers.

#33 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2022-07-31 06:10 PM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)
| NEWSWORTHY 1

Couldn't agree more, AOC is a perfect example.

#43 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-08-01 11:02 AM | Reply

Reminds me of the time when the asshats took to the internet to burn their own NFL swag in protest

Or how they squealed about never watching nascar because, you know, somebody did something personal they didn't like

You let us know when some "liberal" makes a video lighting their Tesla on fire

Haha

#44 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-08-01 11:03 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

So far only Teslas have lit people on fire, not the other way around. Minus the insurance scam here and there.

#45 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-08-01 11:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Speaking of d-bags.

I haven't had a car payment in 25 years.

And I own 4.

#37 | Posted by eberly

You mean you were paying for cars in cash instead of taking advantage of 0 percent interest and putting your money to work? What a dummy.

I guess that's easy when you drive a broke ass chevy.

#46 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 11:57 AM | Reply

-But I'll never buy another tesla

Exactly.

Elon hurt your feelings.

#38 | Posted by eberly

Elon supports a fascist revolution. No one with an ounce of patriotism supports him now.

#47 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 11:57 AM | Reply

#41 | Posted by fishpaw

Defending a fascist coup isn't "something personal".

Just because you lack ethics and patriotism doesn't mean better people lack them too.

#48 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 11:59 AM | Reply

I haven't had a car payment in 25 years.
And I own 4.
#37 | POSTED BY EBERLY

So either your cars are all 25+ years old, or you're a complete ------- with your money. Quite the brag!

#49 | Posted by JOE at 2022-08-01 12:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#28 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2022-07-31 01:38 PM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

All you need to do is look at 5 year old Tacomas and 5 year old, GMCs, Fords and Chevys. The later 3 rust out quickly. I spend alot of time in the woods and on dirt roads fishing. I bought a Tacoma after doing research. I used to have a full size GMC, frame rusted out.

#50 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-08-01 12:45 PM | Reply

#48 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2022-08-01 11:59 AM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

Lack patriotism? You're bashing an American automaker and promoting buying foreign. You belong in the stupid hall of fame.

#51 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-08-01 12:48 PM | Reply

Defending a fascist coup isn't "something personal".

#48 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2022-08-01 11:59 AM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

Provide a link to where Musk said he was all for the Mueller investigation.

#52 | Posted by fishpaw at 2022-08-01 12:53 PM | Reply

I guess that's easy when you drive a broke ass chevy.

#46 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2022-08-01 11:57 AM | REPLY |

I've never seen a used vehicle with 0% interest. I buy my vehicles 3-5 years old with low milage and I pay cash.

#53 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-08-01 01:09 PM | Reply

EV's are getting better all of the time but they are still mostly niche vehicles. I'm watching the big auto makers making a huge transition that I believe will backfire in a huge way. I remember when SUV's gained rapid popularity back in the late 90's and early 2000's. The big 3 let their mid size family sedans languish while the Accord and Camry steamed forward in development. Then the market shifted and vehicles like the Taurus were pathetic by comparison. Battery technology isn't revolutionary. It has at least as many weaknesses as strengths when compared against an internal combustion engine.

#54 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-01 01:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#51 | Posted by fishpaw

i'm bashing a defender of a fascist coup to end american democracy.

You just love him because you wanted that fascist coup to succeed, because you hate american democracy since american democracy prevents your minority fascist cult from ruling everything.

#55 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 01:36 PM | Reply

Provide a link to where Musk said he was all for the Mueller investigation.

#52 | Posted by fishpaw

Musk said dems should not prosecute trump for his fascist coup attempt.

Do YOU think trump should be presecuted for his fascist coup attempt?

[this is the part where you run away]

#56 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 01:37 PM | Reply

#53 | Posted by lfthndthrds

#57 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 01:38 PM | Reply

#54 | Posted by BellRinger

Yeah EVs are just a fad. As soon as people just stop caring about climate change and the massive destruction it's doing to our society, the EV fad will end.
Moron.

#58 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 01:40 PM | Reply

" 26 I don't, but it's based only on the people i've known with Ford trucks. I think Toyota has a leg up on build quality/longevity than the American carmakers, especially the Toyotas that are still built in Japan.

#28 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2022-07-31 01:38 PM | FLAG: "

Perhaps but not in the truck market.

#59 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-01 01:40 PM | Reply

"I buy my vehicles 3-5 years old with low milage and I pay cash."

Okay, but interest rates are lower than inflation. so...

#60 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-08-01 01:54 PM | Reply

#58. I didn't say they are a fad. I said the rush to change the market is a huge mistake because the demand won't be there.

#61 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-01 01:58 PM | Reply

The big 3 let their mid size family sedans languish...

Why not when people were stupid enough to pay for a 30% markup on a Suburban?

#62 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-08-01 02:02 PM | Reply

#62. It was short sighted and it bit them in the ass just a few years later.

#63 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-01 02:09 PM | Reply

" Interest rates have been near zero for years until recently. If you were blowing your money on a collection of crappy used cars instead of financing them and putting your money into something that grows in value, you're a financial moron.

#57 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2022-08-01 01:38 PM | FLAG: "

Almost all cars depreciate rapidly in the first year of ownership. It's extremely rare for any car to grow in value and when that does happen it's usually a couple of decades later when a specific model has become iconic for various reasons.

#64 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-01 02:18 PM | Reply

#61 | Posted by BellRinger

The demand is off the charts. As usual, you think your tiny world is all there is.

The market needed to change decades ago. But your fossil fuel puppet party prevented that from happening.

#65 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 02:52 PM | Reply

#64 | Posted by BellRinger

#66 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-01 02:54 PM | Reply

" So what? It's still dumb to spend your cash on a car when financing is near zero and you could invest it in something that grows instead.

#66 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2022-08-01 02:54 PM | FLAG: "

I misread your original post. I thought you were suggesting financing a car because it would increase in value. Thank you for the clarification. Multiple schools of thought on your investment strategy. It's case specific.

#67 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-01 03:13 PM | Reply

#57 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT

Lol. You finance yours because you don't have cash.

#68 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-08-01 08:20 PM | Reply

When you get 0% there is no point using cash when that cash could be put to work in a market.

#69 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-08-02 03:57 PM | Reply

You finance yours because you don't have cash.
#68 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

There are other reasons.
I financed my car so if it gets stolen or totaled I still have money in the bank to replace it.
At 2.99% for five years, I'm probably saving money compared to inflation.

#70 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-08-02 04:06 PM | Reply

#69 Exactly.

#71 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-08-02 04:06 PM | Reply

Lol. You finance yours because you don't have cash.

#68 | Posted by lfthndthrds

I finance mine because I'm not a fool who passes up the chance to invest and make money while getting a nearly free loan.

This is one of the reasons you failed at life and are jealous of all the smarter people who have more than you and want them to suffer. No one with any money is taking financial advice from a broke loser like you.

#72 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-02 05:25 PM | Reply