Thursday, August 04, 2022

WNBA star Brittney Griner, who has been detained in Russia for over five months, was found guilty on drug charges in a Moscow-area court Thursday. She was then sentenced to nine years in prison.

Comments

" A judge in Russia "

Clarence Thomaski

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-08-04 01:47 PM | Reply

Some questions I am unable to come to grips with...

Why did she bring the drug to Russia? While it may not be illegal here in the US, it certainly appears to be so in Russia.

Didn't she check the legality beforehand, or did she just bring it along, hoping it would be OK?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-08-04 01:51 PM | Reply

"Why did she bring the drug to Russia?"

Simple.

American Exceptionalism.

And now it appears that the administration is willing to trade an international arms dealer specifically because that exceptionalism is not just a perception or something people joke about. It's a real thing.

#3 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-08-04 02:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's entirely possible she did nothing wrong and pled guilty in the hopes that Russia would give her a lighter sentence.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-04 02:27 PM | Reply

She admitted to having had pot vapes. Which are illegal in Russia.

#5 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-08-04 02:39 PM | Reply

@#3 ... It's entirely possible she did nothing wrong ...

She admitted to having the drug in her possession, but said she was not aware that she had packed it. At one time I read that she had the cannabis for medical reasons. If that is correct, then the likelihood of he packing it without knowing about it is diminished, imo.

I also do not disagree that this whole episode may have been a set-up targeting her. But I think the likelihood of that is low.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-08-04 02:39 PM | Reply

I'm not particularly concerned that a sports celebrity is in prison in another country when we have tens of thousands here in this country in prison for the same thing.

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-08-04 02:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Picking a person whom it's entirely plausible they committed the crime they're accused of is something the Soviet Union frequently did.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-04 02:58 PM | Reply

and I thought the US had the most draconian drug laws.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2022-08-04 03:20 PM | Reply

"and I thought the US had the most draconian drug laws."

Most draconian? I don't believe anybody has ever said that. This isn't the Philippines. Or Russia, apparently.

#10 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-08-04 03:45 PM | Reply

On the bright side for her, she doesn't have to listen to the national anthem for the next nine years.

#11 | Posted by willowby at 2022-08-04 05:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I can't believe we would trade an arms dealer for her. Seems like a bad idea to let him go before he finishes his sentence.

#12 | Posted by byrdman at 2022-08-04 05:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

She was busted for traces of CBD oil in a used Vape cartridge.

#13 | Posted by Scotty at 2022-08-04 05:45 PM | Reply

None of this would have happened if the US of KKK had a more gender equity in its approach to compensating professional athletes.

Why are women athletes, even those at the superstar level, forced to compete overseas in hellholes like Russia in their off-season to make ends meet?

Now we have a noble, courageous ----- woman of color having her life destroyed in a foreign prison while the WNBA who employs her stands to lose hundreds of dollars in revenue because she's no longer attracting fans by being on the court.

Do better, Amerikkka.

#14 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-08-04 06:09 PM | Reply

The arms dealer had less than what 2 years left on his sentence?

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-04 06:47 PM | Reply

The arms dealer had less than what 2 years left on his sentence?

#16 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-04 06:47 PM | Reply

Bout was sentenced to 25 years in prison. Now 55 years old, he was expected to be released in August 2029, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons website.

www.cbsnews.com

#17 | Posted by byrdman at 2022-08-04 08:18 PM | Reply

courageous ----- woman

Why is the word "-----" stripped from being visible?

This site is supposed to be a safe space for Progressive discourse but we cancel non-controversial words used for self-description by our own allies?

Sounds about white.

We got a long ways to go, people.

#18 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-08-04 10:19 PM | Reply

I find it curious that people are so fearful of the possible release of Viktor Bout. The guy has been out of the game since 2008. It's not like arms dealing stopped or slowed down after his arrest. Many others have surpassed his abilities in his absence. His time has past. He's not special anymore.

#19 | Posted by memyselfini at 2022-08-04 10:45 PM | Reply

courageous ----- woman
Why is the word "-----" stripped from being visible?
Sounds about white.
We got a long ways to go, people.
#17 | POSTED BY MAO_CONTENT AT 2022-08-04 10:19 PM

This has been the rule for what, a decade now? I've asked repeatedly, but it's apparently an unchangeable aspect of the filter.

I find it slightly offensive to be cancelled, but it's the nature of censoring without sense.

On topic - Russia is one hell of a place to $&%$ up THAT badly. Risking your FAMILY, knowing the brutality of Russians? There is a reason there are few if any black people in Russia, let alone ANY protection for sexual minorities. Russians put torture videos of gay kids they capture online. I would rather nuke Moscow repeatedly before I'd ever consider Griner guilty of anything other than land in the wrong place under the direction of very wrongly informed management as to her factual safety. Putin is using her, that's not a question, and I don't trust this Russian dilemma one iota.

#20 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2022-08-04 11:00 PM | Reply

A judge in Russia?

I'm SURE this was a completely fair trial.

#21 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-08-04 11:09 PM | Reply

I know it's demoralizing, Red, but remember the arc of Progress bends inevitably towards justice.

We just need to continue to speak our Truth, educate, and raise awareness. The owner of this site is a cis-white male from Texas, but to be fair he's also #AllyAF. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding that can be resolved with his coding expertise.

I'm here if you need to talk.

#22 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-08-04 11:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I've asked repeatedly, but it's apparently an unchangeable aspect of the filter."
I'm here if you need to talk.
#20 | POSTED BY MAO_CONTENT AT 2022-08-04 11:15 PM

I'm touched. It's serious for me, and you read that.

How could I deny such.. sincerity? You're a real "person".

Thanks for helping bring this back to the fore - I never want it to be used without some consideration for why it isn't.

#23 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2022-08-04 11:36 PM | Reply

We're all in this together, my friend.

#StrongerTogether

#24 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-08-04 11:41 PM | Reply

We're all in this together, my friend.
#StrongerTogether
#22 | POSTED BY MAO_CONTENT AT 2022-08-04 11:41 PM

Sir, I believe you've earned your first rainbow stripe!

What a mensch! Not like other people who are obliged to be kind, you just pour it our like the Kool Aid man has a leak! Refreshing to find such a keen and welcoming presence as yours is proven. Keep it up!

#25 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2022-08-04 11:56 PM | Reply

I do what I can.

#Ally
#AllyAF
#IStandWithUkraine

#26 | Posted by Mao_Content at 2022-08-05 12:06 AM | Reply

I do what I can.
#Ally
#AllyAF
#IStandWithUkraine
#24 | POSTED BY MAO_CONTENT AT 2022-08-05 12:06 AM

I wouldn't have imagined the lamprey as your spirit animal as others have presumed, it's obviously the butterfly.

Good going, in all of your aspects.

Ukraine isn't quite the same as the prior Nazi invasion the Russians fought. Better allies, imo.

#27 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2022-08-05 12:10 AM | Reply

Actual truth data is a bit hard to nail down, but there are likely about 3500 USans incarcerated overseas each year.

Should the US government be conducting prisoner swaps to bring all of them home?

From my vantage point, if you break the law of the country you're visiting...it's kinda on you.

#28 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-08-05 03:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"On topic - Russia is one hell of a place to $&%$ up THAT badly."

American exceptionalism, my friend.

being told that, because of your race, gender, sexual preference, and nationality, you can do what you want.

And if people don't like it, it's because they're prejudicial.

#29 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-08-05 03:41 AM | Reply

#2 a thc vape is still illegal in many states and federally. Misdemeanor or felony by weight. If misdemeanor most cops will let you go if it's personal.
Though it's still a Federal crime to transport over state lines. There is a reason for amnesty boxes at airports.

#30 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-08-05 08:06 AM | Reply

So justice in Russia is biased and arbitrary? News? Hardly.

Obviously, this is Putin's revenge. One vape contains 1/10th a gram of content? That's less than 1/1000th of a pound. Horrors! The entire Russian empire was put at risk of collapse by such a crime, Right, Tsar Vlad?

No sitting judge in Russia would survive if they made Vlad unhappy. So what did anyone exprect?

As sad as we are for Brittney Griner the answer IS NOT to reward Putin by trading a sincere normal citizen for a violent and ruthless arms trading friend of Putin. That begets more arbitrary behavior. The penalty has to be buckets full of humiliation, shame and disgrace on Putin and his enablers. Shame on Russia for its hideous behaviors everywhere.

#31 | Posted by Augustine at 2022-08-05 09:40 AM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY AUGUSTINE

Doesn't work on Donald Trump and Alex Jones.

Sociopaths. Go figure.

#32 | Posted by Zed at 2022-08-05 10:00 AM | Reply

A judge in Russia?

I'm SURE this was a completely fair trial.

#21 | Posted by BellRinger

Why? Are you saying your party is supported by a tyrant who rules unfairly?

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-05 08:50 PM | Reply

the Americans left behind in Afghanistan should be the issue, but as usual the MSM won't cover that because Biden is a Dem

same way with Hunter's Laptop, "nothing to see here"

BTW, the Laptop has now implicated the Obama Admins in wrong doing. imagine that

#34 | Posted by Maverick at 2022-08-06 06:48 PM | Reply

The topic is a WNBA player in Russia.

A real American would be worried she was going to die a horrible death.

#35 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-06 06:59 PM | Reply

"BTW, the Laptop has now implicated the Obama Admins in wrong doing."

Who told you THAT whopper?

#36 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-08-06 07:13 PM | Reply

"...the Americans left behind in Afghanistan should be the issue..."

www.politifact.com

Mostly False

#37 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-08-06 07:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#37 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS

"Mostly false" by Politifact means its "Probably True"

#38 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-08-06 07:53 PM | Reply