Friday, August 05, 2022

To hundreds of dyed-in-the-wool US Republicans listening to him speak at a Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Dallas, Texas, on Thursday, Orban's Hungary is something else entirely -- a Christian, anti-woke, conservative utopia and an aspirational model for what they want the United States to become.

Comments

"Orban has championed a law banning teaching LGBTQ topics in schools, and in a speech in July, criticised creating peoples of "mixed-race" and seemed to joke about Nazi gas chambers, prompting a longtime adviser to call his comments "pure Nazi" and "worthy of Goebbels".

To critics around the world, Orban's Hungary is a cautionary tale of demagoguery, authoritarianism and nationalism run amok.

But to hundreds of dyed-in-the-wool US Republicans listening to him speak at a Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Dallas, Texas, on Thursday, Orban's Hungary is something else entirely " a Christian, anti-woke, conservative utopia and an aspirational model for what they want the United States to become.

In a recorded speech at the conference in Budapest, Trump called Orban "a great leader, a great gentleman".

Orban was a very early supporter of Trump, endorsing him for US president in 2016 and 2020. Trump endorsed Orban in his reelection campaign this year."

Fascists of a feather flock together.

lots more at the link, btw

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2022-08-05 12:09 AM | Reply

30 seconds

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2022-08-05 12:11 AM | Reply

Hear that, boys and girls? No race mixing.

Gee, I wonder how these freaks will define race and I wonder how they will deal with mixed-race couples and children?

Remember, these are Republicans who think they're the normal ones. The ones who are saving their country from evil people.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2022-08-05 08:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Clarance and Ginni? Are those roosters settling in well at home?

#4 | Posted by YAV at 2022-08-05 08:27 AM | Reply

Why do we even bother pretending the Republican Party as a whole isn't for White Nationalism anymore?

#5 | Posted by Sycophant at 2022-08-05 08:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I have a friend who tells me that I am too mean to republicans on social media. How TF am I supposed to find common ground with people like this who are ready to make my family illegal?

#6 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-08-05 08:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Millions of people have now had their DNA analyzed. Millions now know that they and their children are of "mixed" blood.

How are the fascists going to handle that? Like fascists anywhere, in the worse way possible.

I'm almost entirely Celtic, Viking, and German in extraction. But under the laws that I WAS BORN UNDER I would nonetheless be considered an African-American because I violate that one-drop rule.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2022-08-05 09:37 AM | Reply

Tell me again how the GOP isn't a bunch of white supremacists.

At this point if you're a member of the GOP and claim you're not a white supremacist your claims won't be taken seriously. No such thing as a passive white supremacist.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2022-08-05 02:15 PM | Reply

Zed I'm almost in the same boat as you.

granted fascists would be damn confused by us.

What to do with people who descend from Confederate Cherokee?

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-05 02:33 PM | Reply

My Grandfather was Jewish, and I will freely admit it. I wonder what percentage of people would actually pass their purity test in this melting pot ...if they aren't lying about it, of course.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2022-08-05 06:08 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by Zed

It wasn't all that long ago that in the United States, all it took was having one great-grandparent who was Black for you to be legally identified as 'colored'. This is where the term 'octoroon' comes from. It means 1/8 blood...

OCU

#11 | Posted by OCUser at 2022-08-05 06:59 PM | Reply

@#11

It gets even more interesting than that...

Most of the southern Europeans in the US have some African DNA in their veins.

For example...

Southern Europeans More African Than Thought
www.livescience.com

...Southern Europeans get a significant portion of their genetic ancestry from North Africa, new research suggests.

The findings are perhaps not surprising, given that the Romans occupied North Africa and set up extensive trade routes in the region, and the Moors, a North African people, ruled a medieval territory called El-Andalus on the Iberian Peninsula....

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-08-05 07:24 PM | Reply

@#9 ... granted fascists would be damn confused by us. ...

I would proffer that they may be more confused by themselves.

They seem to be in denial about their own real heritage, as opposed to the heritage they want to imagine for themselves.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-08-05 07:27 PM | Reply

Orban's a dictator. Why do Republicans love dictators?

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-08-06 12:58 AM | Reply

Wow. I'm surprised the righties haven't posted here yet.

Thought for sure they'd be here to denounce the clear racist and white supremacy being espoused at CPAC because, you know, we've been told it's not the norm and that it's just race baiting libruls who are responsible for the racial tensions and animosity.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2022-08-06 11:00 AM | Reply

If only Barry Goldwater were still alive to kick each and every butt at that event, and if only William F. Buckley were there to debate Orban. The modern GOP is so devoid of ideas and moral fiber it is amazing to think of where the party's roots, now torn from the ground, once were ...

#16 | Posted by catdog at 2022-08-06 12:56 PM | Reply

#16 Maybe there is a generational issue at play here but I never saw Buckley as anything more than a fraud. TA laminate of academic credulity and intellectual capacity, hiding the racist, nativist core beneath.

Though I was something of a fan of his posture.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-08-06 01:23 PM | Reply

Goldwater must have remained relatively silent I guess.

I became aware of politics around the time of the Reagan Revolution, but I don't think I've ever seen Goldwater on those talk shows like Buckley. Or heard him give his opinion on anything. Coincidentally, Republicans have been openly racist all my life.

I take that as a sign that there was a break-up there. The Goldwater Republicans (e.g. Eberly) got dumped from the Steering Committee.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-08-06 01:29 PM | Reply

Lindy Li
@lindyli
At CPAC the Nazis roared in approval for Orban who like Hitler condemns "race mixing"

Marjorie Trailer Grease knelt in worship of a Jan 6 insurrectionist

Sen. Rick Scott who defrauded Medicare of millions of dollars called Democrats evil

The GOP is in a state of mass psychosis
6:23 PM Aug 6, 2022