Saturday, August 20, 2022

Actors' Equity Association: A majority of the dancers employed at the Star Garden Topless Dive Bar in North Hollywood today filed a petition for a union recognition election with the National Labor Relations Board. If the dancers win their election and the results are certified by the NLRB, the Star Garden workers will become the only strippers in the United States represented by a union. The bargaining unit will be affiliated with Actors' Equity Association, the national labor union representing more than 51,000 professional actors and stage managers employed in live theatre.

Comments

"Velveeta, who said she hasn't worked since March, said in an interview Wednesday that $50,000 in donations has been raised for an "action fund," similar to a strike fund, to help support the locked out strippers."

Sounds kinda cheesy.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-08-18 11:45 AM | Reply

We are entertainers and do have stage personas this is oddly logical.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-20 12:56 PM | Reply

Where is Danforth? I don't know which union he is in if it's SAG or AEA or a different one but would be interested in his thoughts.

I mean it makes sense and I've had a couple friends who were part time exotic dancers in the past, if any industry needs a union that would be it. Some of the crap they put up with from management was darn near unbelievable but as IC's they didn't have much choice. One club made the dancers "rent" the stage aka pay the club to dance. The club provided nothing other than the space and the only money she made was tips which did not always cover stage rent.

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-08-20 01:06 PM | Reply

This will result in a lot of people getting laid off.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-08-20 01:09 PM | Reply

clownshack I'm guessing the dancers know more about the income of this establishment than we do.

Either that or they're idiots.

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-20 01:14 PM | Reply

I guarantee you not many of them are business majors.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-08-20 01:22 PM | Reply

When you resort to madbomber arguments you lost.

Also you might be surprised at how many are business majors (I don't know but I guarantee you it's a non zero number). Strippers can make good money the two I know do it part time to supplement their income and can make as much in one night as they make in a week at their full time jobs. One has a BA but don't know what it's in.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-08-20 01:33 PM | Reply

Hunters baby momma gets representation !

#8 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2022-08-20 01:52 PM | Reply

Hunters baby momma gets representation !

#8 | POSTED BY HANOVERFIST AT 2022-08-20 01:52 PM

but not from dad or the grandparents.

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2022-08-20 02:27 PM | Reply

"Seedy dive bars with women showing their bodies generally tend not to make enough to cover Union fees."

The bars don't pay the Union fees; the performers do. And in every town, the dancers who work know the others quite well; they're all gigging on the same circuit. That said, Union houses, especially outside the top-20 entertainment cities, will be few and far between.

The fact Actor's Equity is offering to represent them, speaks to the fact live theatre hasn't fully recovered from Covid. My guess is they're giving performers a sweetheart deal to join. Otherwise, I would've thought the natural connection would be AGVA (American Guild of Variety Artists).

One related note: once during a SAG-AFTRA board meeting, an agenda item was brought by body doubles: Should a crotch-patch be required at nude auditions? At that point, it was optional, and up to the performer. One side argued those who didn't wear one, tended to get the jobs. The other side suggested the buyers should be allowed to see what they're getting.

As I recall, the option remained with the performer. One thing for sure, though: During the discussion, NONE of the ~150 board members left the room!

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-08-20 03:08 PM | Reply

Haha I've been to that strip club. The dancer I knew there fell and broke her leg in a dark hallway with an uneven floor. The owner paid her a month's rent but she was out of work for much longer than that. She should have sued and gotten a lot more. Strippers aren't considered real people by those in leadership positions in society so they get treated like ----.

#11 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-20 04:41 PM | Reply

Strippers aren't considered real people by those that visit strip clubs

FTFY.

#12 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-08-20 05:11 PM | Reply

"One has a BA but don't know what it's in."

women's studies.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-20 06:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-08-20 06:03 PM | Reply

Strippers aren't considered real people by those that visit strip clubs

FTFY.

#12 | Posted by oneironaut

By that logic, actors aren't considered real people by those who go to movies.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-08-20 06:49 PM | Reply

Did Ivanka get a union card after giving lap dances to Bunker Bitch?

#16 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2022-08-20 10:54 PM | Reply

Great plan. Now I slide my old afl/cio union card in and out fast like ATM.

#17 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2022-08-21 04:31 PM | Reply

"Ok that was funny. I mean it might be but in her case I doubt it. Probably English lit or journalism or something."

Unless someone is going to be a professor or go into research I don't see a women's studies having any job application.

So ending up a stripper to deal with student debt is likely.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2022-08-21 04:43 PM | Reply