Sunday, September 11, 2022

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that required coverage of an HIV prevention drug under the Affordable Care Act violates a Texas employer's religious beliefs and undercut the broader system that determines which preventive drugs are covered in the U.S.

Comments

Daily use of the tablet (PrEP) reduces the risk of acquiring HIV by more than 99% among men who have sex with men, and by at least 90% among women.

For those living in monogamous relationships with someone that's HIV positive this ruling is a slap in the face.

God, save us from your followers.

#1 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-11 04:02 PM | Reply

"The ruling by U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor came in response to a lawsuit filed by Jonathan Mitchell, a former Texas solicitor general and a conservative activist, on behalf of Braidwood Management Inc. and other self-described Christian employers and employees.

Mitchell is best known as the architect behind a Texas law that encourages people to file lawsuits against those suspected of helping women get abortions. He did not immediately respond to an email from NBC News seeking comment."

www.nbcnews.com

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-11 04:03 PM | Reply

Funny how it always seems that the "Christian" take on most things means someone suffers as a result.

#3 | Posted by cbob at 2022-09-11 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

AIDS is still this much of a problem?

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-11 05:13 PM | Reply

AIDS is still this much of a problem?
#4 | POSTED BY TOR

Approximately 1.2 million people in the U.S. have HIV. About 13 percent of them don't know it and need testing.
HIV continues to have a disproportionate impact on certain populations, particularly racial and ethnic minorities and gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men.
In 2019, an estimated 34,800 new HIV infections occurred in the United States.
New HIV infections declined 8% from 37,800 in 2015 to 34,800 in 2019, after a period of general stability.
In 2019, 36,801 people received an HIV diagnosis in the U.S. and 6 dependent areas"an overall 9% decrease compared with 2015.
HIV diagnoses are not evenly distributed across states and regions. The highest rates of new diagnoses continue to occur in the South.

#5 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-09-11 08:22 PM | Reply

I honestly don't understand things like this. Don't they need to prove the religious aspect of their objection? Quote a Bible passage or something? Or can they just bleat "against my religion" and that's good enough.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-09-11 08:44 PM | Reply

AIDS is still this much of a problem?

#4 | POSTED BY TOR

Seriously?

Who cares if it's not "still this much of a problem"?

Take your religious beliefs and shove it. Not you, not your sky daddy's business.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2022-09-11 09:49 PM | Reply

My objections have nothing to do with religion or politics. HIV is perhaps the most EASILY preventable illness on the planet. Truvada copay is up to $7200 per month. Why should others pay that for you just so you can have unprotected sex without worry (or even a copay)? That's YOUR choice and therefore your responsibility.

Meanwhile, I have family members struggling to pay for drugs needed to keep them ALIVE, due to cancer or other serious, chronic illnesses that they had no choice or ability to prevent. My daughter is one of these people. Those NECESSARY LIFE SAVING DRUGS are not covered by insurance without copay ... ..so why are we carving out something special to help gay men have better sex lives? Wear an effing condom for gods sake.

It would be great if everyone could get expensive meds cost free, but we aren't there yet. In the meantime, taxpayer funding should prioritize leukemia and Lymphoma over preventable STD's.

#8 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-11 10:15 PM | Reply

I thought the AIDS cocktail had gotten Advanced to the point that it was no longer much of a threat.

I understand that why you thought this was a religion thing.

In light of how much insurance companies hate to lose money I was surprised religion even got brought up.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-11 10:17 PM | Reply

To correct myself, my source for Truvada cost was incorrect. It is not the expensive. My point is the same.

#10 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-11 10:26 PM | Reply

#8 - You conveniently show up here after months of absence from the GOP getting their big win on abortion and whine about insurance coverage of a drug in some weird sort of "net zero game" --------? Then pretend it is only about gay men - which I'd surmise you find "icky" and they deserve to get what they have coming to them?

You're a republican, so don't whine about the price of drugs. You and your family are getting what you've voted for. Still not content you want others to die for your poor choices.

You can fill in my thoughts about you - I'm sure they're crystal clear.

#11 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-11 10:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Yeah your point is the same. You're a bigoted POS that wants what you think you're entitled to, f**k everyone else that doesn't live the way you say they should.

#12 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-11 10:28 PM | Reply

I understand that why you thought this was a religion thing.

It's 100% a "religious" thing. WTF?

#13 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-11 10:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You don't know me at all. I'm very LGBTQ friendly and don't find gay men icky at all. I count several as close friends. I'm also not a Republican.

My absence is due to the fact that I've been a little busy lately since my mom was diagnosed with STage 4 Cancer.

I myself fought cancer as a broke college student, and my daughter was diagnosed with a chronic incurable illness I won't identify here for her privacy. Her medicine had a $5900 monthly copay until recent,y when we upgraded to a better insurance plan and now it is $350 per month, but our premiums are now $25,000 per year.

I also buy my neighbors insulin, because, if I don't, she rations it and ends up riding in an ambulance about once a month.

So yeah ... .this isn't about gay men, at all. It's about prioritization of health care needs. And "so they can have sex" is pretty damn unimportant thing when stacked up against people struggling to pay for much needed medications they will die without.

#14 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-11 10:45 PM | Reply

Truvada copay is up to $7200 per month. Why should others pay that for you

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2022-09-11 10:46 PM | Reply

"So yeah ... .this isn't about gay men, at all."

Other than the statistics posted by YAV in the first post, you're the only one that brought up gay men and them having sex.

Swallow it.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2022-09-11 10:52 PM | Reply

If there really is a God then those so-called Christians are definitely going to hell.

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-09-11 11:25 PM | Reply

You are just trying to be stupid. The article AND the posts I was RESPONDING ARE ABOUT gay men ... ..duh.

MY objection to forcing others to pay for these drugs has NOTHING to do with gay men. It is about sea. It is about being expected to pay so you can more safely engage in an optional recreational activity more safely. That's your choice your responsibility.

Especially when so many of us are nearly bankrupted paying for truly unnecessary medications. When insulin, chemo and heart medicine are free of cost sharing or copay, then come talk to me about forcing me to pay for these drugs. Till then, keep your fly zipped or use a condom. GFY works too.

So quick to call anyone who disagrees with you a bigot. You are a hate filled, entitled selfish little ----- if you think your need to have unprotected sex is more important than providing lifesaving medications to those in need.

#18 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-11 11:38 PM | Reply

I understand that why you thought this was a religion thing.

You mean the drugs the judge said religious folks don't have to pay insurance copays for for their employees?

The drugs have gotten very good at controlling infection. And this is absolutely about religious issues.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2022-09-11 11:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

It seems you're mad at the wrong people.

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2022-09-11 11:41 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

What about wishing misery and pain on others because of your own? Where does that place someone?

Why not advocate for fixing the ------ up, profit driven medical industry the US runs? Seems a better use of your time.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2022-09-11 11:43 PM | Reply

"That's how insurance works, idiot. We could start carving out all sorts of treatments where the underlying illness is deemed "voluntary" to save miserable pieces of --- like you a few bucks, but it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion."

See your not paying attention. Them "carving out" is being done by the advocates of this bill who want to make thiese TWO drugs free,, two drugs that aren't treatments at all, they only enable people to have safer sex. Meanwhile all the other drugs for things like cancer, diabetes, asthma, polio, hell, actual TREATMENT of AIDS are NOT free at all.

THAT is whose "carving out" an evpxceltion. not me.

#22 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-11 11:48 PM | Reply

I don't wish misery on anyone ... ever. Your projecting.

#23 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-11 11:53 PM | Reply

#21 I have to correct myself again, apologies to Joe. I got riled up and hadn't read the background material. It was me not paying attention, more to follow ...

#24 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-12 12:03 AM | Reply

I have reversed my position on this. I was completely wrong in my interpretation. I thought this was a new drug and a new mandate, to provide these drugs, and ONLY these free drugs copay free. II was not aware that these were drugs already covered by the ACA, part of a list of preventative medications for a variety of conditions that the ACA required to be covered without copay. I am in favor of that, it's a good start.

#25 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-12 12:10 AM | Reply

Just some context as to where my original perspective came from ... .

I have spent several hours per week over the last several months jumping through hoops trying to get my daughters medication paid for, it has been a nightmare, she has run out and it has gotten dangerous for her. Her medication is one of those you see on slick tv commercials. They don't tell you what it is for ... .that usually means if you have to ask you probably can't afford it. Lately I've started seeing similar ads for Truvalda, so I assumed it was another brand new expensive medication, then when I saw this headline ... ..I had a knee jerk reaction. Here I was Fighting like hell to get meds my child needs and then watching (what I thought) was a special,law to make just THIS brand new medication free (to prevent an STD) while leaving very sick people like my daughter to suffer. I realize now that the context is entirely different.

So I apologize to those I may have offended.

#26 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-12 12:38 AM | Reply

What are the courts going to do when someone claims that cancer treatment violates their closely held religious beliefs because they believe their god gave the person cancer as a punishment for whatever. It doesn't really matter what their justification is, just the fact that they are claiming it is a belief they hold.
If I worked for one of the companies in this suit I would quit. They companies have proven they don't care about the health of their employees.

#27 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-09-12 02:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Shut up Miranda.

#28 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-09-12 04:05 AM | Reply

They actually make a valid point and came back to apologize for making assumptions. Let's not get too nasty with each other.

I have some sympathy with their original position the co-pay on my MS drug is near 8k a month and if I hadn't spent a good amount of time figuring out how to deal with it there is no way I could afford it. So frustration from people having to deal with their own expensive drugs is somewhat understandable especially if they are unaware that this is reversing something that has been covered for years. They took the time to inform themselves and reversed position based on new information.

Miranda I'm pretty sure my email is in my bio if you want to email me I can outline what I did and now I basically get my drugs covered as well as the rest of my treatment and don't pay any more than the insurance premiums.

#29 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-09-12 06:35 AM | Reply

Someone admitting they were mistaken is a rare event on the DR. Miranda deserves a bit of credit for that, at least.

#30 | Posted by JOE at 2022-09-12 08:19 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

You're such a trash human being, Miranda7.

Yeah, I know you said you were wrong for saying that.

Think about what kind of person says that in the first place.

It's the trash kind.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-12 09:48 AM | Reply

Miranda her mother and her daughter all suffer life threatening diseases
Clearly they have a genetic component to their disease
Therefore they are selfish to have sex and procreating and expecting us to fund their healthcare
Put a condom on and end your disease

#32 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-09-12 10:16 AM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

Just a reminder that Miranda knew she has a predisposition to cancer ie genetics and selfishly chose to have unprotected sex which resulted in her having a child that needed expensive meds

#33 | Posted by truthhurts at 2022-09-12 10:20 AM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

It's pretty clear who the hate filled one is in this conversation.

It's you, Miranda7.

You're yet another example that to be a Conservative you must first be a victim.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-12 10:44 AM | Reply

They actually make a valid point
#29 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Which valid point did Miranda7 make?
Seriously, please tell us.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-12 10:58 AM | Reply

"I had a knee jerk reaction."

You sound like a cop who just shot someone for holding a vape pen.

How many people have you killed, Miranda7?

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-12 11:03 AM | Reply

I'd like to point out one other thing that is being overlooked. The people taking PReP don't have HIV. They are trying to avoid it. This includes a not insignificant number of partners who's partner is HIV positive, and are now in a monogamous relationship, some women with men, as well as men with men, or those that fell in love and are in a committed relationship well after one had become positive with HIV (for any number of reasons).

#37 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-12 11:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Doesn't matter. They should choose better. The threat of STD's is God's way of enforcing the social order.

- Conservatives and other closet homophobes.

#38 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-09-12 11:33 AM | Reply

I cannot imagine waking up and thinking "i really need to limit what the gov. does for a small group of people". I assume some hateful pastor that is doing the thinking for the flock is the cause. These people need someone to think for them and tell them they are good people.

#39 | Posted by Brennnn at 2022-09-12 12:04 PM | Reply

"I cannot imagine waking up and thinking "i really need to limit what the gov. does for a small group of people"

You're not a Conservative.

Conservatives truly believe that when other people get help, it means Conservatives are being treated unfairly.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-12 12:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Would everyone be less emotional if we describe the whole situation metaphorically?

I was thinking car insurance might be a good analogy.

#41 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-12 12:52 PM | Reply

The GOP: Solidly pro-death

#42 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-09-12 04:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So I apologize to those I may have offended.
#26 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

So none of that crap you flung at the wall stuck, eh? GFY.

#43 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-12 11:00 PM | Reply

Tao,
I appreciate your offer. I think we have been down the same road with Manufacturer copay assistance, etc. and have it figured out for now.

Joe,
I am always willing to acknowledge when I am wrong, and always open to changing my mind. You are one of the people who sometimes helps me do that.

JPW,
You too. I always pay attention to your posts

Yav,
You are another person I listen to, but you had a knee jerk reaction yourself by assuming that my response was due to bigotry and that is why I fired back at you.

I am absolutely empathetic to the partners of HIV positive people trying to prevent infection. My reaction was to the *apparent* prioritizing of medications that help these people to HAVE SEX over medications that other people need to simply STAY ALIVE. Sex is optional, insulin is not. I stand behind that particular viewpoint, and it has nothing to do with bigotry, religion or politics.

However, I misread the particulars of this story. As you pointed out, it is not a zero sum game, but it sure feels like one to the people in line at the pharmacy counter.

Snoof, I don't respond to you, ever. GFY

Troof, I don't respond to you anymore either, yet you feel the need to personally attack my family. That says more about you than it does me. You are also wrong in all your assumptions concerning our respective illnesses. GFY

#44 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-13 05:47 AM | Reply

Just more "christians" hating on people who are sick.

#45 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-09-13 10:14 AM | Reply

HIV is perhaps the most EASILY preventable illness on the planet.

#8 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

There are people who live their entire life and never break a bone.

It's very easily prevented.

I'm not stupid enough to construct the part about their tax dollars paying for treatment for it the way you were able to.

You see where I'm going with it though, right?

#46 | Posted by tres_flechas at 2022-09-13 10:37 AM | Reply

Reason #28 I am getting the F out of Texas as quick as I can. Heartless, savage power-mongers.

#47 | Posted by e1g1 at 2022-09-13 12:35 PM | Reply

HIV is perhaps the most EASILY preventable illness on the planet.
#8 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7 AT 2022-09-11 10:15 PM

Right? Don't ever have sex. Easy. It must be so fulfilling to descend from your pristine moral pulpit and visit us Philistines.

#48 | Posted by e1g1 at 2022-09-13 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I am absolutely empathetic to the partners of HIV positive people trying to prevent infection. "

Moments later,

"HIV is perhaps the most EASILY preventable illness on the planet."

You're a trash human being. Ask your own damn daughter if you don't believe me.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-13 12:42 PM | Reply

"Sex is optional, insulin is not. I stand behind that particular viewpoint, and it has nothing to do with bigotry, religion or politics."

If you hadn't had sex, your daughter wouldn't need insulin.

#50 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-13 12:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Snoof, I don't respond to you, ever. GFY"

You're a coward too.
You're pretty much everything I expect from a cop. Coward, low IQ, inflated ego and sense of purpose, loses temper at the drop of a hat, thrives on stereotypes, unable to distinguish facts from their own prejudices.

#51 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-13 12:45 PM | Reply

Why did you have sex and give your daughter diabetes, Miranda7?

Why should we pay for the consequences of your stupid choices in life?

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-13 12:45 PM | Reply

Probably the best thing that could have happened to you is your daughter develops a disease, Miranda7.

But you squandered that opportunity.

You were dealt a royal flush of empathy, and you folded.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-13 12:47 PM | Reply

"Snoof, I don't respond to you, ever. GFY
Troof, I don't respond to you anymore either, yet you feel the need to personally attack my family."

NW

Both contemptible -------- who come here solely for the purpose to attack and get attention.

they offer nothing.

#54 | Posted by eberly at 2022-09-13 12:48 PM | Reply

I shine the light on cockroaches. That's worth something.

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-13 12:51 PM | Reply

I still think car insurance might be a good analogy.

#56 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-13 03:19 PM | Reply