Monday, September 19, 2022

A flying motorbike that can travel at 62 miles per hour for up to 40 minutes made its U.S. debut this week at the North American Auto Show in Detroit. The hoverbike is the work of Aerwins, a Delaware-based company that makes drones and unmanned vehicles. Although it conjures up futuristic Jetsons visions of s oaring high above New York City's notoriously clogged streets, you probably won't be riding the hoverbike out to John F. Kennedy Airport anytime soon. The Xturismo currently costs $777,000, although Aerwins says it will develop a smaller model next year, as well as an all-electric model in 2025 to sell for about $50,000.

Comments

These are very easy to build.

It is just very stupid to build them.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-09-19 05:30 PM | Reply

This guy made one years ago. Looks much more affordable as he skips all that heavy and unnecessary safety nonsense.

#2 | Posted by censored at 2022-09-19 05:50 PM | Reply

Unless it has two wheels on the ground, it's not a "bike".

#3 | Posted by Angrydad at 2022-09-19 09:02 PM | Reply

I like Jetson One better. It's sweet.

#4 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-19 10:16 PM | Reply

Jeston One: 1/7th the cost, already all electric, weighs 1/3 (190lbs) as much, and it's just the beginning. Range is shorter, though, for now,
www.youtube.com

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-19 10:25 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY YAV AT 2022-09-19 10:25 PM | FLAG:

Notice how low it flies? It's so you don't die the first time an ESC shorts, but defeats the purpose of everything except for combat or crop dusting flights.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-09-20 07:25 AM | Reply

It can fly over 1,500 feet and up to 62 mph.
The biggest limits for me are it's limited to 20 minutes in the first release and the total weight it can carry is about 210 lbs (pilot included).

#7 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-20 08:27 AM | Reply

It can be fully recharged in one hour.

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-20 08:29 AM | Reply

"He say you Blade Runner"

"Tell him I'm eating"

#9 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-20 09:59 AM | Reply

I do like that movie. Director's cut. Classic.

#10 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-20 10:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A lot better without the corny voice-over.

#11 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-20 10:10 AM | Reply

the directors cut of blade runner is superior.

#12 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-09-20 11:03 AM | Reply

I think we all concur with that.

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-20 01:20 PM | Reply

It can fly over 1,500 feet and up to 62 mph.

#7 | POSTED BY YAV AT 2022-09-20 08:27 AM | REPLY

A 1 hour charge is 1C so that's standard.

You need 920 feet of that 1500 for the BRC deployment to save your life in a spin.

The biggest limit should be that it's a terrible idea lol.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-09-20 02:09 PM | Reply

I'd have no problem flying it. It doesn't require all rotors to be operational, and the flight system has redundancies. It is simple. I'd love to own one, and I would seriously think about it once more is known about fly zones and if they lengthen the flight times.

Then again I've done all kinds of crazy ----. Enough that I have no idea how I'm still alive. But I am, and I LOVE IT.

#15 | Posted by YAV at 2022-09-20 05:33 PM | Reply

Just a buy a race car lol.

I've seen too many multirotors simply fall out of the sky. Sure, you can fly on 7 motors, and you can spin to the ground slightly in control if you lose an entire boom, maybe, but you can't auto-rotate to safety which is the only reasonable way to land a VTOL in an emergency. It's 8 hobby motors and hobby propellers. No fan shrouds, so you lose a blade and you have a chance of catching it with your helmet. It's a solution to a non-existent problem and there are a hell of a lot better experimental aircraft that are safer yet still sketchy enough to trigger adrenaline rushes.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-09-20 06:28 PM | Reply

2 solder points from death is a bit much even by loose standards. Aerodynamics are your friend, not gravity! =P

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-09-20 06:29 PM | Reply

Just a buy a race car lol.

Been there, done that.