Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Christians could fall below 50% of the U.S. population by 2070 if recent trends continue, Pew Research Center projects.

Comments

More from the article...

...Why it matters: In 2020, about 64% of Americans, including children, were Christian, Pew says. People who are religiously unaffiliated -- sometimes called religious "nones" -- accounted for 30% of the U.S. population.

- - - Adherents of all other religions " including Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists " totaled about 6%....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-09-21 01:43 PM | Reply

Link to PEW Research report...

www.pewresearch.org

10 pages of graphs in the report.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-09-21 01:45 PM | Reply

It could happen sooner if the Trumpers want to try a coup again anytime soon.

Only a third of them are evangelicals, and the rest of won't miss them if they decide to fight the US Military.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2022-09-21 10:25 PM | Reply

That can't happen soon enough. So-called "Christians" are mindless sheep that follow demagogues.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-21 11:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"America's Christian Majority Could End by 2070"

But what about all the Mexicans coming in? Surely they're Christian. Those MS-13 guys are all tatted up with Jesus.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-22 12:08 AM | Reply

I doubt there's a Christian majority now.

#6 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-09-22 04:37 AM | Reply

wish I would be alive to see it...
Christianity, over my lifetime, has
drastically changed, at least among whites.
It is now, more than ever, a political vessel
of disinformation and quasi-racist rhetoric.

#7 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-09-22 06:42 AM | Reply

I once was a Christian, until one day when I was an adult and reasoned things out for myself. I had no problem with those who worshipped their god the way they worship Santa Claus, enjoying the rituals and singing the songs, but it was all that dogma that demanded that one assert that one believed in stuff that was unbelievable, and seeing the truth that religion divides us one from another more than any other social organization.
For many years I understood that truth be told, all decent and caring people worship at the same altar, sure the words on the door might be different, but the hearts of good people tend to be united. But then life happened, I stood up and said who I was, and then the ability to pretend stopped.

#8 | Posted by Hughmass at 2022-09-22 07:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

That's sad. I was hoping it would happen in my lifetime.

#9 | Posted by DarkVader at 2022-09-22 09:25 AM | Reply

I was raised as a Catholic Worker. My father was Irish and signed up for and served in Vietnam but after he came home in 1973 he joined the movement, met my Mom, got married and repudiated the decisions of his early adulthood and the actions of his military past.

While not as active in the community as my Mom still is, I do not regret being raised the way I was raised.

I tend to look at Evangelical Christians the same way I view a bag of dog poop thrown haphazardly and carelessly towards a public trash receptacle on a city street- you want to think that there was some good intention in there somewhere but the fact remains that its still dog poop and its still not properly disposed of.

#10 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2022-09-22 10:57 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

Great analogy!

#11 | Posted by horstngraben at 2022-09-22 11:10 AM | Reply

Being a Christian is like having a penis.

It's good to enjoy it and be proud of it.

Where I have a problem is when you start taking it out in public, waving it around in everyone's faces and allowing it to make laws.

#12 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-09-22 11:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

It's their own fault. They decided to get involved in politics and chose the anti jesus side.

#13 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-09-22 12:08 PM | Reply

It's not like they weren't warned....

C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters was first published in 1942, during the Second World War. One of the subjects Lewis addresses in the book is the danger of using Christianity to support a "cause".

In this book, Lewis is writing from the devil's perspective " showing us his temptation playbook. In one letter, senior devil Screwtape writes to his nephew Wormwood:

"Whichever he adopts, your main task will be the same. Let him begin by treating the Patriotism or the Pacifism as a part of his religion.

Then let him, under the influence of partisan spirit, come to regard it as the most important part.

Then quietly and gradually nurse him on to the stage at which the religion becomes merely part of the cause', in which Christianity is valued chiefly because of the excellent arguments it can produce in favour of the British war-effort or of Pacifism.

The attitude which you want to guard against is that in which temporal affairs are treated primarily as material for obedience.

Once you have made the World an end, and faith a means, you have almost won your man, and it makes very little difference what kind of worldly end he is pursuing.

Provided that meetings, pamphlets, policies, movements, causes, and crusades, matter more to him than prayers and sacraments and charity, he is ours " and the more religious' (on those terms) the more securely ours.

I could show you a pretty cageful down here."

www.cslewisinstitute.org

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2022-09-22 04:08 PM | Reply

even sooner would be better. "American Christianity" is the cause for most of this nation's problems.

#15 | Posted by e1g1 at 2022-09-23 12:40 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

MS-13 is mostly Salvadoran and Honduran. Saying the U.S. created MS-13 is a bit of a stretch, but our involvement in the area in the late 70s to early 90s, our training and equipping of the anti-communist rebels, contributed to the gang's formation and structure. As usual, we create our own worst enemies.

Not the point of the thread, I know.

#16 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2022-09-23 03:09 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER

#12 | POSTED BY NIXON

Both Newsworthy and Funny!

#17 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2022-09-23 03:10 PM | Reply

#16 Interesting angle I had never thought of that before. We did the same thing in Afghanistan of course. Including dropping leaflets on the locals telling them "to fight like hell And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore" (paraphrased).

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-23 03:27 PM | Reply