Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Large numbers of Russians rushed to book one-way tickets out of the country ...

Comments

Now that's a Migrant Caravan!

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-21 02:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Another view (from Nigeria)...

After partial mobilization: 35 km traffic jam at the Finnish border " Russians flee the country in panic & More Breaking News
www.npr.com.ng

...Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu announced on Wednesday morning that 300,000 reservists should be mobilized for fighting in Ukraine. According to this, people with combat experience should be deployed. There are a total of 25 million reservists in Russia, Shoigu said. This is the first mobilization since the Second World War.

This announcement caused many people to panic. Many are now trying to flee the country to avoid being drafted. According to booking site Aviasales, popular in Russia, all direct flights to the nearest former Soviet republics of Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan were fully booked on Wednesday. Even domestic flights to border towns were in great demand: plane tickets from Moscow to the city of Vladikavkaz on the border with Georgia cost over $750 on Wednesday " more than ten times the usual price.

According to the online service Google Trends, the search terms "tickets" and "plane" have been entered twice as often on the Internet as usual in Russia since early morning. The search query "Leave Russia" was a hundred times more frequent than on normal days.

Putin had emphasized: "Only the citizens who are currently in the reserve will be subject to conscription." And Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu assured that of the 300,000 reservists who would be drafted, only about one percent of the men who could be called up were considered. But many Russians apparently did not trust this, especially since there were conflicting reports and details remained open.
Everyone wants to go to Finland

Many also try to flee Russia overland. Webcam footage and videos on social media show long queues at the Finnish-Russian border. It is the only border that is still open to Russian tourists with Schengen visas: only two days ago, the Baltic states stopped Russians from entering the country.

However, it is unclear how long the border with Russia will remain open: Finland is now getting busy Collected signatures to obtain a visa ban for Russians....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-09-21 02:47 PM | Reply

They need to prepare to take control of Kaliningrad.

They can still be Russian living in Russia just not Putin's dictatorship.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-21 02:55 PM | Reply

Russian refugees cause 35km traffic jam fleeing to Finland

"Pootey gave such an amazing speech that these brave Russians invaded Finland armed only their bare hands and a bottle of vodka."
-The Russian Trolls

#4 | Posted by censored at 2022-09-21 03:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Some people are saying desantis is eying the opportunity to ship them to DC on the taxpayers dime, cause you know, borders and things

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-09-21 03:13 PM | Reply

Is it time for the child-raping orange turd to call Putin a savvy genius again?

#6 | Posted by Reinheitsgebot at 2022-09-21 05:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Russia is --------- country.

#7 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-21 11:42 PM | Reply

Pretty soon, in a generation or two, Russia will
be a largely depopulated nation...

#8 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-09-22 06:29 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-09-21 03:13 PM | Reply | Flag

They're the wrong color for desanturd and hot wheels to use to scare their sheep.

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-09-22 06:52 AM | Reply

A beautiful song by Buffalo Springfield at the height of the draft for the Vietnam war.

Four Days Gone:

I met two kind people on the road
I was parched and dry from the cold
I've been traveling four days and nights, sir
and I do want to thank you for the ride
and the soup your wife made tasted fine
if it's all the same, I'll be on my way at the next turn
'cause I'm four days gone into running

And my baby is waiting, I hope, sir
After fifteen trucks and an old Ford
and the government madness... I ran away
and I to say, I can't tell you my name
'cause I'm four days gone into running

I can't even go home
Take my baby and run
I got reason to live
I got things I can give

And I'm four days gone into running

www.youtube.com

#10 | Posted by Wildman62 at 2022-09-22 08:50 AM | Reply

Putin seems to have mobilized a lot of Russians, especially those heading for the few remaining exits.

The grim joke wordplay in Russia today about that word, mobilizatsiya ("mobilization"). Is it mobilizatsiya or moGilizatsiya, a play on mogila ("grave")?

#11 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2022-09-23 05:27 AM | Reply

The actual target number of people Putin has ordered called up remains part of an unpublished, secret part of the mobilization order. Not hard to see why some people still inside Russia and still capable of critical thinking would be suspicious about the whole thing.

#12 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2022-09-23 05:34 AM | Reply