Thursday, September 22, 2022

FDA Warning: A recent social media video challenge encourages people to cook chicken in NyQuil (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, and doxylamine) or another similar OTC cough and cold medication, presumably to eat.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The challenge sounds silly and unappetizing -- and it is. But it could also be very unsafe. Boiling a medication can make it much more concentrated and change its properties in other ways. Even if you don't eat the chicken, inhaling the medication's vapors while cooking could cause high levels of the drugs to enter your body. It could also hurt your lungs. Put simply: Someone could take a dangerously high amount of the cough and cold medicine without even realizing it.

Comments

FDA: Don't cook your chicken in NyQuil

You're not the boss of me!

#1 | Posted by censored at 2022-09-21 07:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Good grief, yet another damaging meme seems to be the rage on social media (especially Tik-Tok) once again.

And parents still give their kids cell phones and do not seem to supervise what those kids d based upon what they learn from those cell phones.

Parent: here's a cell phone, keep yourself busy and don't bother me.
Kid: OK.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-09-21 07:43 PM | Reply

Better call Saul!

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-09-21 11:50 PM | Reply

Nothing wrong with a little chlorine in the gene pool.

#4 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-09-22 07:28 AM | Reply

"Nothing wrong with a little chlorine in the gene pool."

Please don't pee in the chicken broth.

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-09-22 08:34 AM | Reply

Next up on Tik Tok challenge: change this 50-amp fuse while the power is still flowing...

#6 | Posted by catdog at 2022-09-22 09:21 AM | Reply

Ugh, my stomach was already upset this morning, then I read this.

WTF is wrong with people?

#7 | Posted by DarkVader at 2022-09-22 09:23 AM | Reply

"WTF is wrong with people?"

Welcome to the internet, where people post stupid ---- on Twitter, TikTok, 4chan, and the Retort, and other people take it seriously.

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-09-22 09:57 AM | Reply

So...does this mean Robitussen is still OK?

#9 | Posted by horstngraben at 2022-09-22 11:17 AM | Reply

Wps

#10 | Posted by fresno500 at 2022-09-22 11:39 AM | Reply

This is something you really shouldn't have tell explain to people.

#11 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-09-23 05:40 AM | Reply

Blech Nyquil is nasty. I've used it out of the bottle maybe twice in my life... ew. I tried the capsules ugh!

I've known a few to use it recreationally... makes my eyes water and sets off my gag reflex to even think of it.

#12 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-09-23 12:02 PM | Reply