Thursday, September 22, 2022

Most of the companies participating in a four-day workweek pilot program in Britain said they had seen no loss of productivity during the experiment, and in some cases had seen a significant improvement, according to a survey of participants published on Wednesday.

Comments

4-Day Workweek Brings No Loss of Productivity

American employers peruse the study and immediately reduce pay by 20%.

#1 | Posted by censored at 2022-09-22 01:27 PM | Reply

Unless an employee doesn't have any work ethic, an employer can't lose with 4 day WW's. I did a 3 day work week at an airport near Boston for 20 of my 22 years in that job. Get traffic helicopters ready to launch starting at 5am, and got done at 7pm when they were finished being fueled and put away after the afternoon flights. Ran my butt off the 12 hours in between, and at the end of day 3, head 90 miles home to NH and 4 days off. It was a great schedule.

#2 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2022-09-22 06:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The labor market may be holding its own but in my field we are constantly short-staffed. So many retiring and no one is replacing them. I now work 60 hours a week to just cover essential services we need to have. All of us are tired and need time off. But until we get some qualified employees we will all be pulling these long hours. I would love to work a 4 day work week. But that is never going to happen until the pandemic is much slower than it is now and medical center CEO's get with the program.

#3 | Posted by keystone at 2022-09-22 11:47 PM | Reply

You can kinda tell if you're an exploited worker right now if your workplace is short staffed.

(No offense Keystone)

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-23 12:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This article seems to point out the amount of time wasted in the workplace now, wrote the guy on his work computer...

#5 | Posted by catdog at 2022-09-23 09:27 AM | Reply

Flexible scheduling should be the norm for most work done at a computer. What we really need is a 32-hour workweek.

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2022-09-23 10:00 AM | Reply

It's interesting but several years ago a company I was working for did that. It cut down on overtime and which saved the company money and made the work hours more consistent for the employees. It was great. 3 days off is nice.

#7 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-09-23 10:07 AM | Reply

I work 4 10 hour shifts and love it. Sun-Weds.

#8 | Posted by a_monson at 2022-09-23 10:08 AM | Reply

#7 They're studying it in the UK right now. I'd bet productivity stays the same.

#9 | Posted by JOE at 2022-09-23 10:11 AM | Reply

It's a dumb move because the people working 4 days are eventually going to start complaining that's too much because they now have to fit 5 days or work into 4. Which, on the surface isn't that big of a deal, but it does mean burn-out occurs because people have to work harder for 4 days. And the people won't accept that extra day off as the balance. They will say that 3rd day off is their right and it should be that way in the first place. So then the 4-day week will become just like the 5-day week today. And in 50-100 years, people will be saying 4 days is too much and it should only be 3. Society is so predictable. None of this is bad though, the bad part is that the ability to easily predict it won't spawn the right strategies to identify the pitfalls/negatives and work to find ways to lessen their impact. Instead, they will let it go uncurtailed and then whine later about it. So that when that fight comes, it will be split down the middle. Again, so predictable.

Of course there are situations in which a 4-day workweek would be good. But, in some of those situations, if you can survive on a 4-day workweek, then it means you don't have enough work for 5 days in the first place, which then begs the question why are you paying people who don't have enough work to do? And then layoffs will start happening well before the large-scale adoption of 4 days. So it's a good premise but the execution won't go nearly like the bleeding hearts want it to.

#10 | Posted by humtake at 2022-09-23 01:27 PM | Reply

"It's a dumb move because the people working 4 days are eventually going to start complaining that's too much because they now have to fit 5 days or work into 4."

^
I can see why somebody who works 0 days would think that.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-23 02:29 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2022-09-23 02:40 PM | Reply

Society is so predictable.

LOL spews a bunch of garbage, then assumes it's correct and declares everything predictable.

*facepalm*

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2022-09-23 02:59 PM | Reply

I worked four 10 hour days for a while and really liked it. The extra two hours a day provided bigger blocks of time to focus on complex projects. Having a weekday off made errands, shopping and medical appointments so much easier to manage, so I could save leave for vacations. The only down side is sometimes you need something from a particular person who is on their day off and you have to wait until they get back. Other than that it was a perfect schedule, at leaast for me..

#14 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-09-23 04:24 PM | Reply

Someone is going to bring this up at the next all hands. That someone might be me.

I would much prefer four tens over this BS.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-23 09:40 PM | Reply

I would much prefer four tens over this BS.

#15 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Like I said I work 4 10's but I live 36 miles away from my job.
So work 4 days vs 5 saves me 72 miles a week on gas and wear and tear on my car.

#16 | Posted by a_monson at 2022-09-24 02:01 AM | Reply

"What a shocker, the Republican corporatecuck favors working people to death. Never would have guessed."

How do you come to that conclusion? Based on the scenario described here, the number of hours worked (or worker output) wouldn't change. Just four ten-ish hour days instead of five eight-ish hour days.

In 6th grade I attended a school in North Poweder, Oregon, where we only went to school four days a week. On Friday we would load up onto a bus and go skiing.

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-09-24 02:05 AM | Reply

#17 I was responding to #10, who seemed to be suggesting that this was some sort of slippery slope toward the horror of workers getting more days off and working less.

How was the skiing out there? Considering a future move to the PNW and close access to good skiing is part of the appeal. I've skied the rockies, new england, and the upper midwest but never the PNW.

#18 | Posted by JOE at 2022-09-24 07:27 AM | Reply

Considering how much productivity has increased,

And considering how we keep being scolded that the increase in productivity is not due to increases in labor input, but rather via technological innovation,

Why should we even be working 40 hours?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-24 09:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

From 1979-2020, productivity has increased 61.8%, while real wages have only increased 17.5%.
www.epi.org