Saturday, September 24, 2022

In ruling that Arizona's near-total ban on abortion could take effect, Pima County Superior Court Judge Kellie Johnson granted a request by the state's Republican attorney general to lift a court injunction that had barred enforcement of Arizona's pre-statehood ban on abortion after the Supreme Court ruled in Roe v. Wade in 1973.

Comments

MF:

Arizona GOP Attorney General Mark Brnovich, who led the legal process to try to get Arizona's pre-statehood ban on abortion put back into effect after the Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade in late June, tweeted that he was pleased by the decision:

"We applaud the court for upholding the will of the legislature and providing clarity and uniformity on this important issue. I have and will continue to protect the most vulnerable Arizonans," he tweeted.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-09-23 08:26 PM | Reply

Oops, sorry for the Freudian slip. MF: should be MFA:

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-09-23 08:37 PM | Reply

pre-statehood ban?

SMH things have changed in the last 100+ years.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-23 08:45 PM | Reply

Is this normal? Do laws from before Statehood was ratified tend to remain in place?

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-23 09:45 PM | Reply

Nah ....

#5 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-09-23 10:00 PM | Reply

Those Repubs are really sticking their finger in the eye of women voters. AZ is a swing state, so it'll be interesting to see if the GOP gets their comeuppance.

#6 | Posted by censored at 2022-09-23 10:48 PM | Reply

Too bad the D's are squandering their legislative advantage.

Their advantage is pretty minimal.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-09-23 10:51 PM | Reply

We have too many Republican nut jobs here that don't realize we're not a solid red state anymore.

#8 | Posted by willowby at 2022-09-24 08:25 PM | Reply

With Republicans trying to pass this law they are going to see every woman voting them out of office.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2022-09-24 08:29 PM | Reply

Wonderful... Americans will go to Mexico for abortions just like the good ol' days when Amurika wuz Grate.

#10 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-09-24 11:20 PM | Reply

"Too bad the D's are squandering their legislative advantage. How long have we known the SCOTUS was going to overturn RvW? What did they do with it?

What are the priorities? Stopping the fascist? Well how about passing a bill to do so?"

"It's always someone else's fault!" - The Party of Personal Responsibility.

#11 | Posted by zarnon at 2022-09-25 01:25 AM | Reply

I like the girl's sign.

It says "my body, my choice."

I agree.

#12 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-09-25 11:45 AM | Reply

" It says "my body, my choice." I agree."

That'd be a great equivalency ...

... if the woman's pregnancy could pass you a deadly virus.

#13 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-09-25 12:42 PM | Reply

I like the girl's sign.
It says "my body, my choice."
I agree.
#12 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

So does the law.
Getting vaccinated has always been your choice.
Been that way since the Nuremberg Accords.

You can thank a Nazi for your freedom!

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-09-25 12:48 PM | Reply

Seems like it will be left up to Arizona voters to figure out what kind of state they want to live in.

One with more government intrusion.

Or one with more personal freedoms and liberties.

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-09-25 01:31 PM | Reply

So...you're not a "my body, my choice" type of dude.

#16 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-09-25 01:34 PM | Reply

"Getting vaccinated has always been your choice."

I'm in the military.

Perhaps it is my body...it ceased to be my choice the moment I entered the military.

But that was a choice as well.

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-09-25 01:36 PM | Reply

" So...you're not a "my body, my choice" type of dude."

I'm a let's-treat-different-threats-differently type of dude.

For example, you're completely ignoring her pregnancy can't infect you.

You can't say the same regarding your bout(s) with Covid.

Why are you avoiding the salient difference?

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-09-25 03:46 PM | Reply

The anti-abortion law that just got resurrected in AZ was part of a code that also said no Black, Indian, or Asian could testify against whites, forbade all marriages between whites and non-whites, and defined the age of consent to be just ten years old.

twitter.com

IOW, the judge simply okayed the real policy objectives contained in the non-public version of their "Commitment to America".

#19 | Posted by tonyroma at 2022-09-25 06:01 PM | Reply