Comments

For someone out there the long nightmare is finally over.

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2022-10-04 11:31 AM | Reply

RIP Loretta. She was one of my grandma and my mom's favorites. She was straight up gangster.

#2 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-10-04 11:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

At last there's going to be another Loretta Lynn Patsy Cline duet.

Thing is none of us are going to get to hear it for decades.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2022-10-04 11:56 AM | Reply

While musically never one of my personal favorites I never disliked here music either. I certainly respect her and the impact she has had and continues to have. She was a true force. - RIP -

One thing - "Van Lear Rose" was certainly interesting and something I enjoy some of, I only knew about it because of Jack White's involvement.

These later albums by some of the greats of the 60s and 70s I have found very good and sadly they are going away one by one. I enjoyed late Johnny Cash (but I always enjoyed Johnny). His take on Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" was simply epic. Leonard Cohen's late recordings are something on in our house frequently. The live recordings from London and Dublin are phenomenal. IMHO - He was always better than Dylan but never gained the same level of appreciation.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2022-10-05 04:24 PM | Reply

My wife, on her mother's side, was related to Loretta Lynn. It was a stretch, out there about 5th or 6th cousins. Loretta Lynn was born Loretta Webb, in Kentucky. My wife's grandmother was born Flora Webb, also in Kentucky, but there were a lot of Webb's in Kentucky. Her grandmother used to always say that, right after she'd tell someone the story about how she was related to Loretta (Webb) Lynn ;-)

OCU

#5 | Posted by OCUser at 2022-10-05 05:00 PM | Reply

www.npr.org

Here's a joyful link.Terri Gross's Fresh Air podcast from yesterday reprises Loretta Lynn's music & story. Nothing controversial or debate inducing. Too often, country music repeats after three songs. Maybe Loretta Lynn's chords repeat, but her lyrics don't; at least not in this informative & entertaining podcast.

My fav song of the bunch? "Fist City". I'll play that at Cosmo's jukebox next time I'm there.

#6 | Posted by Augustine at 2022-10-05 11:42 PM | Reply