Friday, October 07, 2022

BMW has taken the lead, charging drivers to heat seats in their cars. Is this the future of life?

Comments

More from the article...

...How much would you pay to be able to sit in comfort in your car? You may think, after spending thousands on the vehicle, that you won't need to spend an extra dime. And historically, that would have been the case. But things are changing " and fast.

For the last two years, auto manufacturer BMW has been selling subscriptions for a number of services that would traditionally be included in the purchase price of a vehicle. Everything from safety camera information to automatic high beam switching on and off " to yes, heated seats " can be bought as optional extras in countries like the UK, Germany, New Zealand, South Korea, and South Africa.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-07 01:29 AM | Reply

@#1 ... It's the start of a new shift towards a world in which what was once thought of as a basic, free service is eked out to make money in as many ways as possible.... ...

I disagree with that comment.

I have not viewed the seat warmers in my car as a service. I viewed it as a material expense that I have paid for when I bought the car.

I do not view it as something that I need to bride a corporation in order to keep my butt and back warm.

imo, BMW is losing their connection with their customers on this one. [I'm putting it kindly because my true thoughts would be along the lines of ... BMW has f----d their customers big time, for the purpose of corporate profits.) That is not a good thing.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-07 01:35 AM | Reply

I viewed it as a material expense that I have paid for when I bought the car.

Did they charge you for the heated seats? Or were they "FREE", and SW is needed to enable?

I would add it would seem reasonable that if you didn't have them enabled, BMW owes you for the cost of gas given their mass.

BMW is losing their connection with their customers on this one.

They lost that connection a long time ago. But people today buy image not connection.

#3 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-10-07 11:47 AM | Reply

"The actions have proved perhaps most controversial because of the integral nature of cars to many people: you need them to travel from point A to point B, and expect, when buying something at such a high cost, to have it all included."

But it is all included, that's the problem. If seat warmers weren't already part of the cost of the car and you would only have to pay for them when you order the service, this would be a lot more acceptable to people. The problem comes in when you charge people for it and then charge them again to use it. In something that costs me $100 a year, not a big problem. In something that costs me thousands a year, problem.

#4 | Posted by humtake at 2022-10-07 12:14 PM | Reply

@#3 ... Did they charge you for the heated seats? Or were they "FREE" ...

I bought the car. Nothing in the car was free.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-07 12:19 PM | Reply

You know what the difference between a BMW and a porcupine is?

With a porcupine, the ------ are on the outside.

#6 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-10-07 12:20 PM | Reply

Most manufacturers are going this way. The car you buy is the free app and if you want the fancy features you get to pay extra for them. There was a thread a while back about Toyota doing it with their remote starters.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-10-07 12:26 PM | Reply

"IF its software controlled its not a "material" expense to enable or disable, its part of the SLA."

By this stupid logic, a manufacturer could make every facet of an automobile that used to be a hardware interface "software controlled", and charge people subscription fees for everything from using the headlights to seeing how much gas is left in the tank and even accessing the gas tank. Why would heated seats be any different than any other electrically controlled component, such as heating or a/c in general or the ability for the driver to control the opening and closing of windows and door locks?

The only thing dumber than the people who designed this are the people still willing to buy it.

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-10-07 12:49 PM | Reply

This is what happens when you get to the toxic, even cancerous, stage of Capitalism when all decisions in society are based on the quarterly profits of corporations.

#9 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2022-10-07 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Someone has to hack this, right?

#10 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-10-07 02:32 PM | Reply

BMW is overhyped mediocre machine. If you can't afford Mercedes, just get a Subaru.

#11 | Posted by facthunt at 2022-10-07 03:30 PM | Reply

#11 Subarus were a great value 10-15 years ago, but my wife has a newer one and the quality just isn't on point anymore. I'd rather pay a little more for an AWD Toyota.

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2022-10-07 03:33 PM | Reply

I would hope the buyers of BMWs would reject these terms.

If they install the technology of the heated seats in the cars, then it's part of the car. Expect me to pay to turn it on when it's already in the car?

Jesus, my son's 2004 salvage titled Honda Accord has heated seats. Without checking, I'll bet heated seats go back at least 50 years.

It's not like it's bleeding edge technology anyway that's lacking in other autos. Where does BMW intend on going with this? Do they expect Lexus, Mercedes, etc. to follow suit?

-Why would heated seats be any different than any other electrically controlled component, such as heating or a/c in general or the ability for the driver to control the opening and closing of windows and door locks?

Exactly. Where is this headed? Except the mandated safety features such as headlights, seat belts, etc. they could theoretically create a subscription for everything else.

It's insane. Again, I would hope car buyers would expect all the bells and whistles to be included and baked into the price. Not this subscription ----.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2022-10-07 04:18 PM | Reply

(driving my BMW down the road at 75mph)

(Car suddenly slows down to a stop in the middle of the interstate)

"Please insert credit card into steering wheel to continue driving"

(Insert credit card)

"We're sorry, transaction cannot be processed at this time, your BMW Bluetooth(TM) subscription has lapsed due to nonpayment"

(Semi hits me from behind at full speed, i thank the driver before i die)

#14 | Posted by JOE at 2022-10-07 04:58 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by JOE

Toyotas are great, but overpriced.
Subies made in Indiana vs in Japan, may be the difference. Did you get her a Forester? They're still Japan made, last I checked.

#15 | Posted by facthunt at 2022-10-07 05:25 PM | Reply

Trickle-down economy at work.

better quality of life for everyone

#16 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-10-08 05:35 AM | Reply

My wife loves her Hyundai Tucson Limited with all the bells and whistles [heated/aircon seats, heated steering wheel for cold weather, cameras, let's her know if swerving too far port or starboard, slowdown if too close to vehicle in front of her, etc.] plus HTRAC AWD*. only time I get to drive it is when I take it for servicing for her [dealer is about 48 miles away from us.]

*HTRAC AWD (Hyundai TRACtion All Wheel Drive), is available on most SUV models. HTRAC monitors 50 vehicle inputs over 100 times per second to calculate the torque needed for each wheel.

I have the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and have been very happy with it - consider the Hyundai's to be the poor man's Honda : )

#17 | Posted by MSgt at 2022-10-08 03:05 PM | Reply

Do they charge royalties for using signal lights? It would explain much.

#18 | Posted by Jaspar at 2022-10-08 10:40 PM | Reply

P.T. Barnum.

'A sucker's born every minute'.

Well, every second by now...

Perfectly happy with my Kia Sportage
at 1/2 their SUV price. Gets great gas
mileage too. Now if they could just make
an EV version that was roughly comparable in
price...