Monday, October 31, 2022

A set of studies published in the Journal of Applied Psychology has failed to find evidence that cannabis has creativity-enhancing effects. But the researchers did find that cannabis elicited a sense of joviality, which in turn made cannabis users perceive their own ideas and the ideas of others as more creative.

Comments

Having seen many creative people simply fade into stonerism, I agree.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2022-10-31 09:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Seems a little subjective.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-10-31 01:49 PM | Reply

Unless all of the participants were "creative" to start with, the study is BS.

Which pretty much means it's BS.

But, yeah, whatever.

#3 | Posted by Angrydad at 2022-10-31 04:03 PM | Reply

"We have two studies which have consistent findings," Barnes explained. "But this is still a new and developing science. We would not consider our findings to be the final word. Creativity at work across many different contexts is probably much more complex than the relatively simple creativity tasks we used in our 2 studies. So the effects of cannabis on creativity may very well be more complicated than what we found at this stage in the program of research."

Surprise, surprise.

#4 | Posted by Angrydad at 2022-10-31 04:07 PM | Reply

Wait. You mean that Dorito and cat food sandwiches are NOT creative? That driving at 37 miles per hour on the freeway at 7:30am is NOT an act of artistic...um...artistic...tsk...artistic expression? How about Dorito and cat food sandwiches? Oh, did I say that already?

#5 | Posted by catdog at 2022-10-31 04:08 PM | Reply

Kool aid fried chicken is both innovative and delicious. Full stop. Even Guga agrees.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2022-10-31 05:41 PM | Reply

I "know" I play some especially wicked guitar solos after a little doobage.

This study is such a square.

#7 | Posted by anton at 2022-10-31 05:47 PM | Reply

I always get a chuckle out of the intro to the TV show "Narco Wars."

Late 1950's announcer says, "Shake this square world and blast off for Kicksville"

Probably done in the late 50's or something. It reminds me of high school "health class" where they'd show anti-drug movies like Reefer Madness in an auditorium where half of us had been in the parking lot getting baked during lunch.

#8 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-10-31 05:58 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-10-31 06:11 PM | Reply

Heh. You have five minutes to be creative. Great test.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-10-31 06:14 PM | Reply

Did they use Jerry Garcia's spirit pipe in the test? I think not.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-10-31 06:16 PM | Reply

Chocolate chip brownies and macadamia nuts with a "special inhancing" ingredient added. That's all I have to say.

#12 | Posted by keystone at 2022-10-31 06:22 PM | Reply

drugs aren't magic... they don't put anything there that wasn't already there.

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-10-31 06:35 PM | Reply

Bath salts and synthetic cannabinoids are magic. The bad kind.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-10-31 06:37 PM | Reply

drugs aren't magic... they don't put anything there that wasn't already there.
#13 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE

That's not how creativity works.

Drugs can chemically alter the way we process our sensory data, they can change our perceptions of the world.

They tried to capture creativity with simple tests.
No, it doesn't work like that.
#9 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

It could. Creativity tests have no correct answer, so you only need to measure progress.

Unless all of the participants were "creative" to start with, the study is BS.

This comment is BS.

#15 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-10-31 06:55 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by oneironaut

Creativity takes time. A five minute test is BS. Ask Tolkien.

#16 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-10-31 07:30 PM | Reply

Know several "heads" (20years+) that would beg to differ.

But considering my audience, ok.

#17 | Posted by fresno500 at 2022-10-31 08:08 PM | Reply

Sometimes, math just baffles me. What is the logic behind this type of stuff?

1 x 8 + 1 = 9
12 x 8 + 2 = 98
etc...
See the entire image...
irenesharonhodes.files.wordpress.com

Why does that work?

#18 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-31 08:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#9 ... They tried to capture creativity with simple tests. No, it doesn't work like that. ...

That's my impression as well.

It is almost as if the tests given were design to disprove creativity.

So... keeping with the scientific method, did they conduct tests to show that their creativity test were actually valid tests of creativity?

And as a corollary, I'd want to ask, can science really prove or disprove creativity?

#19 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-31 08:28 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by oneironaut

You want to see something that will really bake your noodle?

e^(pi*i)-1=0

That's right, the natural logarithm raised to the power of the core of geometry times the base of all imaginary numbers, minus unity, is zero.

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-10-31 08:41 PM | Reply

Bob Marley is laughing at this "study".

#21 | Posted by Angrydad at 2022-10-31 09:22 PM | Reply

@#20 ... e^(pi*i)-1=0 ...

I disagree.

e^(pi*i)+1=0

I learned that in sophomore year of [NYC public] high school.

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-31 09:35 PM | Reply

@#22

I had to prove that for a test. But, please, don't ask me to prove, or even explain, it now. That was more than a half-century ago.

But, wow, I found some stuff on the web...

Why does e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0
www.physicsforums.com

...It's a really interesting equation. I'm not sure how it works out though...

Yeah, not only was I knowledgeable about "how it works out," I had to prove my theory.

Fun stuff from high school...

#23 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-10-31 09:43 PM | Reply

They appear to be studying crisis and anxiety-driven behavior, "generate as many creative uses as they could for a brick in 4 minutes." That's a very strict, specific directive. This seems made for some form of industrial application, "the ideas that had been generated by those in the cannabis condition to be just as creative as those in the control condition."

"imagine that they were working at a consulting firm and had been approached by a local music band, File Drawers, to help them generate ideas for increasing their revenues. They were told that their goal was to generate as many creative ideas as possible in 5 min"

What kind of cannabis was used?

Perhaps they should apply this same methodology to cocaine use? Or, meth? I'm confused as to qualifying "creative" as a result or a process through their procedure. It's perhaps more of a perspective that being expanded makes things more accessible, rather than focusing on something as specific as increasing revenue? A brick.. and a paycheck. To inspire "creativity". This study in forced output is qualifying nothing but desperation, imo.

"So many managers will either have to consider how cannabis influences their own work, or manage employees who use cannabis. Rather than ignore cannabis as a taboo topic, management and applied scholars should work to further enlighten the effects of cannabis on work." Ah, to officiate this study method and it's "discoveries".

Rather than using existing statistics per individual this study would rather blanket remind employees and students that "marijuana isn't a performance enhancer". Not surprising.

#24 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2022-11-01 02:33 PM | Reply

"What kind of cannabis was used?"

Brick weed.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-01 02:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I have tried artistic endeavors while using a number of different drugs including hallucinogenics. I have never found myself to "more creative" or "more talented" on any of them. Me at my most artistic is me sober and focused.

But that's just me. I know plenty of people who say the contrary.

I always found it interesting that Van Gogh's greatest painting were almost all painted uniformly at times when he was NOT in the midst of his psychosis which eventually lead to him committing suicide.
And Leo Tolstoy wrote his greatest works at a time in his life when he was happily enjoying a quiet family life at home.

#26 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-11-01 03:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Drug use provides another barrier for intelligence and creativity to work through.

Especially if you do drugs a lot.

#27 | Posted by Zed at 2022-11-01 04:31 PM | Reply

Me at my most artistic is me sober and focused.

#26 | POSTED BY MODER8

Creativity is lowering a bucket deep into the water of the unconscious.

Substances, by and large, keep you focused on the well and not the water.

Not saying that can't be fun.

You have to choose who you are. An artist or a partyer.

#28 | Posted by Zed at 2022-11-01 04:33 PM | Reply

I'm going to have to try this myself.

#29 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-11-01 06:32 PM | Reply

Creativity is lowering a bucket deep into the water of the unconscious.
Substances, by and large, keep you focused on the well and not the water.
#28 | POSTED BY ZED

That is great.
I'm stealing it.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-01 06:34 PM | Reply

Your focus is the always same. Substances don't really change much. Look how many writers did the booze. You're saying Hemingway wasn't creative?

#31 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-01 08:20 PM | Reply

Zed,

"Having seen many creative people simply fade into stonerism, I agree."

How about mental illness?

Not nearly enough honest discussion is going on regarding this subject.

#32 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2022-11-01 08:52 PM | Reply

Maybe for you. Not every brain is identical.

For some, things like anxiety or stress can hinder creativity, and those barriers can be temporarily lowered by drug use.

#33 | Posted by JOE at 2022-11-02 11:33 AM | Reply

Anyone who actually knows anything about the topic knows that it doesn't improve anything. All it does is allow you to focus more on what you are doing by blocking brain receptors that signify pain, distractions, etc. How you use your focus is up to you, and in an indirect way that focus can increase skills because some people tend to do routine things when they smoke, and practice makes people better. But the plant itself doesn't just automatically make someone more creative, smarter, etc.

#34 | Posted by humtake at 2022-11-02 12:27 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable