Saturday, November 19, 2022

More than 2,000 employees at 112 Starbucks locations are set to go on a one-day strike Thursday, according to the union which has been organizing stores for the last year.

Comments

"The union says it is striking to protest the retaliation taken against union supporters nationwide.

It is also protesting what it characterizes as the company's refusal to bargain with the union on a first labor deal. There are 264 stores that have voted in favor of union representation. But no contracts have yet been negotiated even at stores which voted nearly a year ago"

"But this week, the National Labor Relations Board " which oversees union representation votes " filed in federal court for a national cease and desist order to prevent Starbucks from retaliating against union supporters.

The NLRB filing said that there had been a "number and pattern of Starbucks' unfair labor practices ... particularly discharges" against union supporters at it stores."

Solidarity Forever

www.youtube.com

Unions helped bust the Monopolies and bring on the New Deal... they are needed again.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2022-11-17 02:27 PM | Reply

They shut down the one around the corner from my job... for renovations, after they started organizing. It's been sitting dormant for two months now with no renovations begun.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-11-17 02:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I am now boycotting Starbucks until they allow for Unionization. Too many other great coffee places that are so much cheaper.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-11-17 02:46 PM | Reply

I drink Folgers instant coffee. It's delicious.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-17 02:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You have your taste buds removed too?

#5 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-17 05:12 PM | Reply

LOL

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2022-11-17 05:21 PM | Reply

Don't bag on my Folgers Crystals. That's yummers.

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-17 05:27 PM | Reply

I drink Decaf Folgers, in the green bag.

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2022-11-17 05:28 PM | Reply

And Laura,

Please dont ever say "yummers" again...

Please?

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2022-11-17 05:29 PM | Reply

I drink Decaf Folgers, in the green bag.
#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

OOOOHHHH so THAT'S what's wrong with you!!!

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-17 05:29 PM | Reply

Has anyone ever tried making Folgers from just the metallic looking crystals? I feel like that should be a thing.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-17 05:31 PM | Reply

Newsworthy.

#12 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-11-17 05:33 PM | Reply

Yummers Yummers Yummers.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-17 05:34 PM | Reply

Boaz and I go to Dunkin's at least a few times a year. I get their coffee and he has a dozen or so donuts. With some kind of green tea he brings with him, I think.

I tried going with him to MickyD's, but Donald was in the line ahead of us, so we just went home.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2022-11-17 05:37 PM | Reply

There are two, let's say, views of coffee.

There are those who like the taste of coffee, as a beverage.

And there are those who look to the caffeine in coffee to give them, let's say, a boost in the morning.

And, not surprisingly, there are two types of coffees, each of which appeals to one of those two tastes.

Arabica coffee.

Robusta coffee.

The big issue is that caffeine is a very bitter tasting substance. So anything with a lot of caffeine tends to be bitter.

Caffeine content of different types of coffee
www.medicalnewstoday.com

...
What affects the caffeine content?

Several factors affect the caffeine content of a cup of coffee. One of the main factors is the type of coffee bean. There are many different species of coffee plants, and coffee beans from different plants vary in their caffeine content.

The two most popular species of plant for producing coffee beans are:

- - - Coffea arabica, which people commonly refer to as Arabica

- - - Coffea canephora, which most people know as Robusta

According to a 2016 study, Robusta coffee beans typically contain around twice as much caffeine as Arabica beans. ...

So...

Long story short...

The coffee you typically buy in the supermarket, it is made from robusta coffee beans because that coffee is typically used to give a ~boost~ in the morning.

While the coffee you drink at a coffee shop is usually arabica because you want to pay for something that tastes good.

YMMV and all that...

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-11-17 08:28 PM | Reply

Costa Rican coffee is the best.

#16 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-17 10:10 PM | Reply

BTW, the store brand whole bean I buy is Arabica (from Colombia, allegedly)

#17 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-17 10:24 PM | Reply

My grinder is currently loaded with Sumatra Mandheling. I usually try something different when I need a reload. As long as it's relatively dark roasted.

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-11-17 10:29 PM | Reply

I drink Decaf because I'm allergic to the caffeine. But I do like the taste.

#19 | Posted by boaz at 2022-11-18 03:22 PM | Reply

That's it? 1 day? FFS it's just a day off, it won't even be noticed on Starbucks bottom line.

America has gone soft.

#20 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-11-18 04:31 PM | Reply

Cafe Bustelo with sweetened condensed milk.
Boaz and Laura, I just pity you.

#21 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-11-19 11:18 AM | Reply

I like three different coffees:

Kona fro Hawaii

cdn11.bigcommerce.com

Peet's Major Dickason's Blend Dark Roast Coffee

peets-shop.imgix.net

Illy Whole Bean Classico Coffee - Medium Roast

www.illy.com

#22 | Posted by MSgt at 2022-11-19 01:10 PM | Reply

Costa Rican coffee is the best.

Some of the best coffee I've ever had is Cafe Oso which is a small farm/roastery in Costa Rica, it's tough to get so usually I can only lay hands on a couple pounds a year. I also like several from Guatemala.

Right now I'm drinking Casi Cielo from Starbucks. It's one of their seasonal small batch single origin coffees from Guatemala. My son works there so I get his weekly markout. For the record he didn't strike the other day.

#23 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-11-19 05:26 PM | Reply

Please short these folks if they have a location near you
www.bittyandbeauscoffee.com

#24 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-11-20 10:26 PM | Reply

Oops, please SUPPORT Bitty and Beaus

#25 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-11-20 10:26 PM | Reply

Not one near me but 3 locations in my state so I'll keep an eye out for one near me in the future.

In the meantime this thread reminded me to call my cafe oso hookup and order a couple pounds. It's direct from the farmers so about as pure fair trade as possible.

#26 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-11-20 11:20 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable