Tuesday, November 22, 2022

The Biden administration has caused outrage after it determined that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has immunity from a lawsuit regarding the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

As Radiohead put it ...

There are many things to talk about Be constructive Bare weapons we can use Be constructive with your blues Even when it's only warnings Even when you talk the war games

Oh, why don't you quiet down? (Maybe I want peace and honesty) Why don't you quiet down? (Maybe I want to live in the children's land and you know maybe, maybe I) Why don't you quiet down? (Maybe I'll wander the promised land) (I want peace and honesty) Why don't you quiet down? (I want to live in the promised land) (And maybe wander the children's land) Quiet down! (Yeah, and there, there we can free)

You don't live in a business world and You never go out and you never stay We won our goals in a liberal world Living in times when I could stand it, babe All over, baby's crying It'll all be, baby, I can see out of here All over the planet's dead All over the planet, so let me out of here All over the, all over the, all over the, all over the

(Quiet down) We are the dollars and cents and the pounds and pence And the mark and the yen, and yeah (Why don't you quiet down?) We're gonna crack your little souls We're gonna crack your little souls (Why don't you quiet down?) We are the dollars and cents and the pounds and pence And the pounds and pence, and yeah (Why don't you quiet down?) We're gonna crack your little souls Crack your little souls We are the dollars and cents

Comments

From the cited article...

...The Department of Justice said in a court filing that bin Salman's new role as prime minister of Saudi Arabia means he has immunity from a civil suit about the 2018 killing that took place in the Saudi embassy in Istanbul.

"The United States government has expressed grave concerns regarding Jamal Khashoggi's horrific killing and has raised these concerns publicly and with the most senior levels of the Saudi government," the filing said.

"However, the doctrine of head of state immunity is well established in customary international law and has been consistently recognized in longstanding executive branch practice as a status-based determination that does not reflect a judgment on the underlying conduct at issue in the litigation," the Justice Department wrote....

So, the DoJ is saying that a Head of State has immunity from a civil lawsuit because of the usual immunity granted by international law to a Head of State.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-11-22 10:59 AM | Reply

Lamplighter ... our government has overthrown multiple governments in the past. Don't give me this we can't go after him bs. Biden needs their oil.

#2 | Posted by Bluewaffles at 2022-11-22 11:20 AM | Reply

@#2 ... Don't give me this we can't go after him bs. ...

I'm not giving you anything.

I merely noted the DoJ's and the Biden's administration stated approach.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-11-22 11:44 AM | Reply

"Biden needs their oil."

And you don't?
LOL

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-22 12:37 PM | Reply

Bush sucked up to the Saudi's and the usuals celebrated
Trump sucked up to the Saudi's and the usuals celebrated
Obama didn't suck up the the Saudi's and the usuals hated it
Biden sucks up to the Saudi's and the usuals hate it

These people are schizophrenic

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2022-11-22 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I told you this was a procedural matter and does not hinge on which Head of State it is. Not unlike Diplomatic Immunity.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-22 03:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't need the oil Snoofy, I drive a Tesla.

#7 | Posted by Bluewaffles at 2022-11-22 03:27 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY BLUEWAFFLES

Do YoU kNoW hOw MuCh OiL iS nEeDeD tO pRoDuCe A tEsLa?!?! StUpId LiBeRaLs!

#8 | Posted by memyselfini at 2022-11-22 04:09 PM | Reply

Sorry MemyselfinI, I've never been under any delusions that I'm some how saving the earth with my model S. I enjoy it because it tears ass down the highway.

#9 | Posted by Bluewaffles at 2022-11-22 04:29 PM | Reply

@#9

Talkin' to ya self?

;)

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-11-22 04:34 PM | Reply

I don't need the oil Snoofy, I drive a Tesla.
#7 | POSTED BY BLUEWAFFLES

I got mine, screw everybody else, and it's all Biden's fault!

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-22 04:39 PM | Reply

with my model S

I heard all you fighter pilots drive those.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-11-22 04:42 PM | Reply

It's a great car! I've certainly enjoyed it.

Also Lamplighter ... well played hehe.

#13 | Posted by Bluewaffles at 2022-11-22 10:45 PM | Reply

Luftwaffles doesn't even have a valid license, amirite there Drinky Crow?

#14 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-22 11:24 PM | Reply

????

#15 | Posted by Bluewaffles at 2022-11-23 12:49 AM | Reply

Biden Recommends Immunity for Saudi Crown Prince

This should make republicans happy. Biden taking a page out of Donnie Fatboy's playbook and kissing Saudi arse.

Now they can have all the low gas prices they want.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-11-23 12:14 PM | Reply

Biden Recommends Immunity for Saudi Crown Prince MBS

Big mistake. Hopefully the courts won't go along with it.

Reports are that it is a political courtesy extended to all sovereigns and that we wouldn't want out diplomats mis-treated. Hell. If any of our leaders and/diplomats chop up people with a bone saw, I would want them charged, tried, convicted and punished.

Much has been said about the Brittney Griner situation as an example of what could happen to our diplomats. If, in fact, Griner violated Russian law, she should be punished. If she didn't, the mistake our government made was not grabbing a high profile Russian athlete in the US and sticking some false charge on him/her. Then we could negotiate a release of the two.

You can't use the Marquess of Queensberry rules when dealing with bad faith actors.

#17 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2022-11-24 06:51 AM | Reply

Biden is trying to live by rules the Prince never resprcted.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2022-11-24 07:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1