Thursday, November 24, 2022

[P]ecan pie really exploded in the early 1900s. What remained a mostly regionalized dish at the turn of the century, was, by the 1940s, everywhere, with recipes in beloved cookbooks like Joy of Cooking. How? We owe it all to Karo Corn Syrup.

Comments

All American culture is corporate driven.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2022-11-24 08:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It sure is. Corn syrup, sugar, butter, eggs with a splash of vanilla... the sweetest heart attack known to humankind ... if your pancreas doesn't abandon ship altogether. Very rich. That's why it's served in small portions.

#2 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-11-24 09:11 PM | Reply

The real controversial issue at our table every year ... ., is it PEE-can, or puh-KHAN?

#3 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-11-25 05:31 AM | Reply

I like pecan pie,but it has to be eaten with a cup of black coffee to offset the super sweetness. You're eating cooked sugar essentially. Only have it during the Holidays.

#4 | Posted by shane at 2022-11-25 10:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Blech. Disgusting.

Thanksgiving is a not so subtle indicator of why we have so much diabetes in our country.

My wife made a "family recipe" of "corn pudding."

A can of creamed corn. Half a can of whole corn kernels and half a cup of sugar baked for 40-45 minutes.

She cut it to a quarter cup of sugar and it's still disgusting.

Seems like the American way for a long time was adding ass loads of sugar to cheap ingredients to make them palatable.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2022-11-25 01:25 PM | Reply

I could eat a whole pecan pie right about now. Yummers.

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-25 01:27 PM | Reply

@#5 I've heard the spanish word "pecano" around here.

pronounced PAY-KHANO

#8 | Posted by shane at 2022-11-25 01:32 PM | Reply

The fact that Russian trolls can post here has zero redeeming social value. None. It's sick, disgusting, immoral, and vile.

#9 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-25 02:36 PM | Reply

YuridicheskiTvoyMertv! Uveryayu vas, chto Bellringer, Effeteposter i BOAZ ne yavlyayutsya rossiyskimi operativnikami. YA kuklovod, Puppet16 " TSRU. Greysi - pensionerka, propitannaya mochoy iz KGB.

#10 | Posted by billy_boy at 2022-11-25 06:11 PM | Reply

LOL

#11 | Posted by billy_boy at 2022-11-25 06:12 PM | Reply

I make pecan pie, but I only use Real Vermont maple syrup, NOT corn syrup. Sure it isn't much better. But it's a SMIDGE better.

#12 | Posted by ABH at 2022-11-25 08:31 PM | Reply

I don't care.

I will continue to make "puh-KHAN" pies as I've done for decades. Fyi, a "PEE-can" is what my grandmother had under her bed.

My pecan pies are roundly applauded. I've had folks that profess to not like pecan pie taste mine and change their mind. The ingredients are the same as posted above. The difference is the process of putting it together.

Yeah, coffee and pecan pie for breakfast. Heaven.

#13 | Posted by et_al at 2022-11-26 12:55 AM | Reply

It's PeeKhan pie.

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-26 01:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

No, its short e not long e.

#15 | Posted by et_al at 2022-11-26 01:47 AM | Reply

No, its short e not long e.

It's both.

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-11-26 01:53 AM | Reply

As a person who has always loved pecans I have never really lked pecan pie, lt's just too sweet and rich for me. Therefore I've never tried to bake one and didn't know the recipe.Now it makes sense to me why I don't care for pecan pie but do love pecans.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2022-11-26 08:49 AM | Reply

We have half a pecan pie I've been nibbling at. Not my favorite. At Thanksgiving, pumpkin pie rules!

#18 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2022-11-26 01:42 PM | Reply

My favourite is cherry pie with it loaded up cherries. Not like the bastards put out today. They call it cherry pie yet there's very little in the pie itself. Rotten bastard's. Who does that crap seriously?? It's enough to burn your ass.

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-26 02:10 PM | Reply