Sunday, November 27, 2022

More older Americans are living by themselves than ever before. That shift presents issues on housing, health care and personal finance.

Comments

Everything is going as planned.

#1 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-11-27 07:52 PM | Reply

Some friends of mine have an agreement that if they can't find anyone they'll move into the same retirement home and become a couple at that stage in their life.

Lukas Graham has the right idea.

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2022-11-27 07:54 PM | Reply

Let me know if this turns out, I am skeptical.

#3 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-11-27 08:26 PM | Reply

I know a pair of sisters who have lived together since their divorces decades ago (actually a very common household type). They would like to marry (each other) for estate planning reasons. Can anyone tell me why that should remain illegal?

#4 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-11-27 11:05 PM | Reply

They would like to marry (each other) for estate planning reasons.

Estate Planning? To avoid the taxation? Perhaps a Trust might work.

Can anyone tell me why that should remain illegal?

I am not sure.

#5 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-11-27 11:24 PM | Reply

The law has to be equally applicable to all people and ------ is gross.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2022-11-27 11:42 PM | Reply

They should see a lawyer that does estate planning. There a number of devices that can meet their needs. If they're worried about estate taxes then they are late to the estate planning party. Anyone that has assets in excess of the estate tax exemption, currently a little over $12M for a single person, without an estate plan is an idiot.

#7 | Posted by et_al at 2022-11-28 12:07 AM | Reply

I'm Gen X and am thankfully happily married.

#8 | Posted by BellRinger at 2022-11-28 12:12 AM | Reply

#5, #7 It was an estate planning lawyer who brought it up (facetiously, of course, as it is illegal in every state). There are certain financial advantages of marriage that can't be duplicated through trusts, TOD's or other "devices". In their case, one sister has a pension with a surviving spouse benefit. There is no option to designate an alternate beneficiary. If there are no minor children or surviving spouse, the pension payments simply stop at death.

#6 These old gals aren't having sex, so "gross" is irrelevant.

------ is historically illegal because of the risk of birth defects, and to protect children from sexual abuse. Neither of these reasons is applicable in the case of adult same-sex siblings who choose to live together. Even if they ARE having sex, I fail to see any public interest in sexual activity between consenting adults, behind closed doors.

#9 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-11-28 01:50 AM | Reply

It was an estate planning lawyer who brought it up ...

Information I did not see in your post.

That's what estate planners do, the details. Details you seem to use as a segue into ------. No, thanks.

#10 | Posted by et_al at 2022-11-28 02:50 AM | Reply

"#6 These old gals aren't having sex, so "gross" is irrelevant."

And you know this how?

It's rhetorical you don't have to answer.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2022-11-28 03:08 AM | Reply

"Can anyone give reasons why marriage between same-sex siblings SHOULD be illegal?"

I am gonna go with Ignorance.

And conservative "family values".

Too much change too fast makes Jack a dull Republican who votes for hateful racist authoritarians who want make America great (again).

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-11-28 09:42 AM | Reply

Well, now that WaPo is trying to get Liberals to normalize pedophilia (look it up), there is no end to what should be illegal these days. What I find funny is that everything that was considered good before is now considered bad by Dems, but then they keep bringing up stuff like this where they want the good from before to not change. Cherry-picking for votes really needs to stop.

#13 | Posted by humtake at 2022-11-28 12:10 PM | Reply

Q: "So back to my question Can anyone give reasons why marriage between same-sex siblings SHOULD be illegal?"
A: "Well, now that WaPo is trying to get Liberals to normalize pedophilia"

^
There's your answer.
Conservatives can't allow it because it's on the same level as pedophilia.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-28 12:20 PM | Reply

The law can't have one set of rules for men and another set for women.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2022-11-28 12:49 PM | Reply

"Well, now that WaPo is trying to get Liberals to normalize pedophilia (look it up),

lol

Link or lie buddy.

There you go again with an off the wall fixed news interpretation of legitimate a criticism of right wing fear mongering.

Which article did you misinterpret now?

Provide some links to your lies so they can be properly refuted.

With actual facts.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-11-28 01:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"(look it up)"

Your claim.

Link it up.

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-11-28 01:39 PM | Reply

I'm a Gen Xer. I enjoy living alone. It's nice and peaceful and quiet. It's sad how it happened but that's part of life I guess.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-11-28 02:02 PM | Reply

#10 Not sure what you are getting at. It was a one line post, of course there are more details. One of the sisters worked with me. She has a pension (same as mine) with a survivorship benefit that can't be assigned to a beneficiary. It goes to minor children or a spouse only, period. No estate lawyer can help with that. There are other financial benefits of marriage that lawyers cannot replicate with documents. I'm not here to argue about each one, the pension issue was enough to generate the discussion. The other sister could not afford to keep their house without the income from the pension.

#11 These two ladies are both hetero to my knowledge. After their divorces, the moved in together to share expenses and help each other with childcare. The years went by, neither remarried, and here they are. I'm assuming they aren't having sex (with each other), but it is none of my business, and basically irrelevant.

#15 There are situations where brothers live together as well, though I think it is more common for widowers or spinster sisters to share a household.

#19 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-11-28 02:10 PM | Reply

Miranda does raise an interesting hypothetical situation and I have long been in favor of a major domo system being available.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2022-11-28 02:24 PM | Reply

#20 Indeed but does society think two little old ladies who are sisters living together is the reason for marriage?

I mean, no. That's not the reason for marriage. They're gaming the system.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-11-28 02:55 PM | Reply

As we get older our connections to our family friends become increasingly precious. At some point every person entering old age realizes this.

#22 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-11-28 03:01 PM | Reply

"They're gaming the system."

I used to think that way but I'm not sure anymore. From an economics perspective, any time people choose to cohabitate they're doing a positive thing for the economy because they're pooling resources to be more efficient, and thereby are able to spend more money in more places, right? The benefits for child care are indisputable. Even just from being less of a stress on the housing supply there are positive benefits. Shouldn't we be encouraging that as often as possible?

I'm not saying that we have to confer the title of marriage on siblings, but maybe it's past time our government disentangle itself from the marriage game, focusing less on why the people are living together and more on what benefits that opens up for them and for society in general.

#23 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-11-28 03:20 PM | Reply

one of my grandparents once told me that they no longer had the ability to love anything new.

They said they would always love me though.

#24 | Posted by Tor at 2022-11-28 03:21 PM | Reply

Made up bs drama.

#25 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-11-28 09:56 PM | Reply

You're never alone with dogs and/or children.
They are enough to sustain.

p.s. Dogs will love you better.
They 'unconditionally love',
whereas with kids, it depends
more on whether you will lend
them money...

#26 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-11-29 08:04 AM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable