Tuesday, November 29, 2022

The Senate was on track on Tuesday to pass landmark legislation to mandate federal recognition for same-sex marriages, in a rare last gasp of bipartisanship by a lame-duck Congress before Democrats lose their unified control of Capitol Hill.

Comments

It forces states to recognize same-sex marriages if the Supreme Court overturns the current case.

BUT it does not force states to allow same-sex marriages to occur in their states and lets churches refuse to allow same-sex weddings in their venues.

It's a half win at best. Still it was unthinkable 30 years ago.

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2022-11-30 11:34 AM | Reply

You can't really force churches to allow anyone/everyone to use what is a private facility. The pastor of the church I grew up in wouldn't officiate at weddings he thought were ungodly. I doubt very much he would have blessed an interracial marriage, for example. Which makes him a dead bigot but doesn't change the fact that he would have refused to do so.

I'm not defending bigotry, or religion. I'm just saying these things exist.

#2 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-12-01 03:37 AM | Reply

"The pastor of the church I grew up in wouldn't officiate at weddings he thought were ungodly. I doubt very much he would have blessed an interracial marriage, for example. Which makes him a dead bigot but doesn't change the fact that he would have refused to do so."

I grew up Catholic and faced similar prejudices from the clergy but I solved that problem. I left that church and never looked back when I was 17. My fayher knew it too but he also knew I didn't obey his rules any more.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2022-12-01 06:55 AM | Reply

It forces states

Stopped reading after that.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2022-12-01 09:54 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Stopped reading after that.

#4 | POSTED BY BOAZ

I smiled after reading that.

So you CAN read but you choose not to.

Still sore for being "forced" to give up slavery?

You poor thing.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-12-01 10:06 AM | Reply

In Boaz' worldview (and his occupation working for and now sucking at the teat of the MIC), everything has to be done through either force or coercion. That's just the way of the world. So....

As one of my ancient neighbors likes to say: "what's good for the goose is good for the gander..."

He also says, "Now the shoe is on the other foot"

(Old people like to speak in idioms)

#6 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2022-12-01 10:39 AM | Reply

He also says, "Now the shoe is on the other foot"

(Old people like to speak in idioms)

#6 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER

You can lead a horses arse to water but you can't make him read!

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-12-01 11:05 AM | Reply

"You can't really force churches to allow anyone/everyone to use what is a private facility."

Cool. Then they can pay taxes.

#8 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2022-12-01 11:14 AM | Reply

Is a church really a private place if they say that they are open to one and all??

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2022-12-01 12:03 PM | Reply

Cool. Then they can pay taxes.

#8 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

As odd as it sounds.

They will lose their exemption if they have weddings that don't align with what they worship or for profit.

#10 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-12-01 12:13 PM | Reply

There are plenty of churches that will step up. There is a church on nearly every block down south. They are not all fundamentalists.

It will work itself out. In spite of the Bozos of the world.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-12-01 12:43 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable