Monday, December 05, 2022

A sheriff's deputy in Florida was accidentally killed Saturday when his roommate pulled the trigger of a gun he mistakenly believed to be unloaded, authorities said. The roommate was also a deputy in the same sheriff's department. Austin Walsh, 23, was off duty at home in Palm Bay with his friend Andrew Lawson when the fatal shot was fired, Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey said. After Walsh was hit in the early hours of Saturday, Lawson immediately called 911 to get help for his friend, but Walsh "succumbed immediately," Ivey said. In a video shared on Facebook Sunday, Ivey described the circumstances in which Walsh's tragic death unfolded. "This afternoon I have to stand here and talk about the loss of one of my deputies who I love so much as the result of the reckless actions of another one of our deputies, who I also love," he said.

Comments

"mistakenly"

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-05 09:08 AM | Reply

Yeah I don't buy this being an accident at all.

#2 | Posted by qcp at 2022-12-05 09:47 AM | Reply

Yeah I don't buy this being an accident at all.

#2 | POSTED BY QCP

Why? You think officers aren't this dumb?

#3 | Posted by Sycophant at 2022-12-05 10:02 AM | Reply

Touche

#4 | Posted by qcp at 2022-12-05 10:21 AM | Reply

I would have thought a trained deputy would know about that.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-12-05 12:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

FloriDUH. Go figure.

Wasn't that the state that won the lawsuit for hiring LEO's that were dumb on purpose?

#6 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-12-05 12:25 PM | Reply

"Authorities say an off-duty Florida deputy "jokingly" pointed his gun at a fellow deputy thinking the weapon was unloaded and shot and killed him."

www.huffpost.com

#7 | Posted by qcp at 2022-12-05 02:51 PM | Reply

was hit in the early hours of Saturday

My guess? They were drinking.

And the culture of that department seems uber wannabe tough guy so they probably are super cavalier about firearm safety.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2022-12-05 08:38 PM | Reply

There are places, like back country Montana you need firearms, and I never once, not even once, failed to check the chamber before handling because it's the first thing you're taught to do. The plain fact is this was at BEST drunken stupidity, but more likely murder. Piggie murdered the other one then squealed a lie. While we are at it? No gun has ever "went off while cleaning" either because the literal first step would clear the chamber.

#9 | Posted by VictorZiblis at 2022-12-05 08:48 PM | Reply

Regarding your latter statement, you're clearly willfully ignorant:

www.google.com

Swallow it.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2022-12-05 09:19 PM | Reply

"There are places, like back country Montana you need firearms"

I've never needed to be in back country Montana.
I have however needed to be in school.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-05 09:21 PM | Reply

"jokingly" pointed his gun at a fellow deputy"

^
I encourage all Republicans who Back The Blue to show your support by making a good-natured joke of pointing your unloaded gun at the cops.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-05 09:22 PM | Reply

Lucky you snoofy.

not everyone gets to live in a gated community or a high end apartment building.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2022-12-05 09:22 PM | Reply

Since you may have missed it, my point is, you're rarely in a situation where you "need" a gun that isn't a situation of your own making.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-05 09:32 PM | Reply

@#9 ... There are places, like back country Montana you need firearms ...

I've no issues with that. Zero.. Nada.

But...

As i noted in #5

I would have thought a trained deputy would know about that.

How do you deal with that, in this event?

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-12-05 09:37 PM | Reply

The heck my boss was showing me his new gun and removed the mag and cleared the chamber before handing it to me and I still stopped and checked the chamber was clear myself before doing anything else.

As far as shooting yourself cleaning a gun the first step is to clear the chamber so you either suck and deserve a Darwin or were committing suicide on purpose.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-12-05 09:39 PM | Reply

I think your boss was hitting on you.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-05 09:41 PM | Reply

"you're rarely in a situation where you "need" a gun that isn't a situation of your own making."

the next time you eat a nice vegan meal remember that about 200 animals died for that to be made.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2022-12-05 09:43 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY TOR

Next time you breathe remember all the people that were slaughtered by your ancestors to give you life.

#19 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-12-05 09:53 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY TOR

I'll buy an extra one and throw it in the trash. Just for you, Tor. LOL

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-05 10:23 PM | Reply

.......an extra dead animal?

Make sure it's a raccoon.

#21 | Posted by Tor at 2022-12-05 10:30 PM | Reply

Getting back on topic...

@#5 ... Whatever happened to the adage, ~don't point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot.~

I would have thought a trained deputy would know about that. ...

Aside from all the deflections.

This was a trained law enforcement officer.

What other, ummm, errors, will trained law enforcement officers make?

Is there a problem in their training?

Or is there a problem in their attitude?

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-12-05 10:39 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR AT 2022-12-05 09:39 PM | REPLY

I agree and firmly maintain guns do not go off during cleaning for exactly that reason. You can't even START cleaning it until the chamber's empty. Whatever the heck you're doing, you ain't cleaning it because the literal first step is that, you can't pull it apart with one in the chamber, you can't send anything through the barrel with one in the chamber. Negligent discharge, each and every one of them. You cannot kill yourself cleaning a gun. You cannot kill yourself dropping a gun if it was made in the last century. Guns do not "go off." The only thing that can happen is you put your booger hook on the bang button and it functioned exactly as it was supposed to.

Anyone who thinks guns can go off during cleaning doesn't understand how guns actually work.

#23 | Posted by VictorZiblis at 2022-12-06 12:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I just figured cleaning his gun was a euphemism for suicide in cases where they don't want it to be suicide.

Like this cop who murdered the other cop. Probably a snitch. So it was just an accident.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-06 12:22 AM | Reply

(To be fair there was one model of Taurus that could go off if you shook the crap out of it, but that's because the idiots put the wrong kind of safety physically in the gun during assembly. It was only on the market for two months before someone noticed. It wasn't designed the way it was machined, but everything does have exceptions... and that's a valuable gun today, lol.)

#25 | Posted by VictorZiblis at 2022-12-06 12:25 AM | Reply

I see a HUGEproblem with training. By the time you complete academy firearms trainin, gun safety should be so rote it's nearly impossible to have an "accident".. it happens but it shouldn't. I don't know if I believe the "playing with the gun" story, even if they were drinking. Cops, in general don't like to "play" with guns, for a couple reasons. One, because the training repeatedly stresses the seriousness with which guns must be handled, two because the job exposes you to so much gun violence and death, and third, because there is no novelty in playing with your work tools. Most the cops I know don't even like to play shooter video games. There is no "fun" in seeing brains splatter in a game when you have experienced horrific violence in real life, along with true horrors that accompany it. Then again, these guys were young, barely wet behind the ears.

#26 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-12-06 12:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Maybe. For some people I'd assume the last step in cleaning is to shove in a mag and chamber a round. Not legal here, but we're different.

#27 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-12-06 12:57 AM | Reply

... you'd still have to put your booger hook on the bang button for it to fire.

#28 | Posted by VictorZiblis at 2022-12-06 01:09 AM | Reply

... you'd still have to put your booger hook on the bang button for it to fire.

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in "accidental" shootings in the slightest. It's just an effective story to stay out of jail.

#29 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-12-06 01:27 AM | Reply

"I see a HUGEproblem with training"

Then you should likewise see a huge problem with every cop that went through that training.

But you're a douchebag, do you don't.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-06 09:45 AM | Reply

When are you going to cotton to the fact that this was no accident, and the cop took out the other cop, probably because he was a snitch?

You really believe this "accident" nonsense?

You think cops, whose dicks you suck every chance you get, are that stupid?

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-06 09:46 AM | Reply

"What other, ummm, errors, will trained law enforcement officers make?"

Rest assured that when they do, they'll be held to this level of accountability: None.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-12-06 10:02 AM | Reply

Some of the same people who called for Alec Baldwin to be prosecuted are the same people who will give this cop a pass. Personally I think they should both be prosecuted.

#33 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-12-06 03:59 PM | Reply

Well no, I would be inclined to prosecute the officer, and not Alec Baldwin.

#34 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-12-06 08:54 PM | Reply

because there is no novelty in playing with your work tools.

Oh please. Young hot heads (or at least one you hot head) who think they're Wyatt Erp got drunk and stupid.

There are plenty of cops who do it for the wrong reason and don't treat weapons with the respect they deserve.

www.aclu.org

#35 | Posted by jpw at 2022-12-06 08:56 PM | Reply

Sohie!

You still writing your novel series?

#36 | Posted by jpw at 2022-12-06 08:57 PM | Reply

JPW, my only difference of opinion with you here is about relative numbers. The vast majority of cops (I'll go 99% plus) get no excitement from playing with their firearms sound handle them with respect and seriousness. The drunk, stupid Wyatt Earp hot head types certainly exist, but cases like this are rare enough to actually become newsworthy.

I appreciate your link to the Daniel Shaver Story. This was one of the top 10 most apalling examples of police incompetence, ever, in my opinion. It was indeed horrific. Fortunately incidents like that are few and far between.

Who is Sohie?

#37 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2022-12-06 09:46 PM | Reply

I would have thought a trained deputy would know about that.
#5 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

Since U.S. law enforcement receives less training than must of the developed world, It's hard to say what they know.

How US police training compares with the rest of the world

#38 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2022-12-07 04:53 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable