Monday, December 05, 2022

It began decades ago, with a few hardy pioneers slogging north across the tundra. ... Today, his kind have homes and colonies scattered throughout the tundra in Alaska and Canada -- and their numbers are increasing. Beavers have found their way to the far north.

Comments

More from the article...

...It's not yet clear what these new residents mean for the Arctic ecosystem, but concerns are growing, and locals and scientists are paying close attention. Researchers have observed that the dams beavers build accelerate changes already in play due to awarming climate. Indigenous people are worried the dams could pose a threat to the migrations of fish species they depend on.

"Beavers really alter ecosystems," says Thomas Jung, senior wildlife biologist for Canada's Yukon government. In fact, their ability to transform landscapes may be second only to that of humans: Before they were nearly extirpated by fur trappers, millions of beavers shaped the flow of North American waters. In temperate regions, beaver dams affect everything from the height of the water table to the kinds of shrubs and trees that grow....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-12-05 12:11 PM | Reply

It's all fun and games until the beavers invade.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-12-05 05:22 PM | Reply

@#2 ... It's all fun and games until the beavers invade. ...

Yup.

Years ago, I used to pedal my butt all over Fairfield County, CT, i.e., I rode my bicycle around. A lot. :)

One town I liked to ride in was Redding, CT. The drivers there were great, they didn't try to run you over. And the countryside was beautiful.

There was a stream that I knew in the 1990's. I nice little stream alongside the road I frequented. Then the beavers came. Now that whole area is no longer the habitat associated with a nice little stream. There's now a large pond, with a totally different habitat.

The arrival of beavers is a significant change to the habitat, as the cited article notes.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-12-05 05:45 PM | Reply

Awwwwww. Beavers are so cute. So soft and furry. How can you not love a beaver?

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-12-05 06:32 PM | Reply

what I'd like to know, is how do more beavers not get clobbered by trees when they
fell them? I mean their vision has to be -----, they have a tough time looking up
I would imagine, to see which way the tree is falling. Are you telling me, that
each beaver is a geometry genius, and knows (instinctively) which side of the
tree to chew on, and at what angles, to never get clobbered by a tree coming down?

That would be, amazing...

They could certainly teach some West Virginia Rednecks I know a thing or two
about taking down trees. P.S. DONT let WV Rednecks take down your trees...

#5 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-12-06 06:37 AM | Reply

"What about the beavers?!?"
Brian Regan

#6 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2022-12-06 06:59 AM | Reply

In the southwest they are importing beavers because of their da, buildinc creates water storage which can transform a dry desertlike environment that can attract other species and create a whole new ecosystem.

"Beavers will become a bigger boon to river water quality as U.S. West warms, Stanford study finds"

news.stanford.edu

#7 | Posted by danni at 2022-12-06 11:38 AM | Reply

Awwwwww. Beavers are so cute. So soft and furry. How can you not love a beaver?

*insert joke here*

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-12-06 12:12 PM | Reply

Oh dam!

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-12-06 12:23 PM | Reply

Just keeping the men company!

#10 | Posted by cbob at 2022-12-06 04:33 PM | Reply

A few years ago when men were men, the beaver and other wild life were considered a good thing. Their fur was a valuable commodity.
The dams create ponds, which benefit other wild life.

#11 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2022-12-07 08:50 AM | Reply

'Nice beaver!'

#12 | Posted by kudzu at 2022-12-07 08:56 AM | Reply

I heard that Russia has a surplus.

#13 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-12-07 02:46 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable