Monday, January 02, 2023

Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field, was administered CPR and then was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, where he is in critical condition, according to the NFL, which postponed the game between Buffalo and the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday night.

END;

Comments

In 2020, at the end of his final year at Pitt, Damar Hamlin organized a toy drive for kids in his hometown of McKees Rocks, Pa. This is the young man who went down on the field tonight in Cincinnati. He is a man; not a number on a jersey. Prayers for Damar.

twitter.com

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 10:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

the blow he took wasn't anything special either, just a normal tackle, the receiver hit him in the chest and kind of drove over Hamlin to the ground, again, nothing unusual.

I would assume the blow caused some sort of cardiac arrest. Just horrible, 21 years old. Here's hoping the best for him.

#2 | Posted by truthhurts at 2023-01-02 10:23 PM | Reply

MAGA filth are already blaming the vaccine.

#3 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2023-01-02 10:26 PM | Reply

Keep in mind that the NFL wanted the players to take 5 minutes to warm up and get back to playing.

#4 | Posted by truthhurts at 2023-01-02 10:27 PM | Reply

Game is suspended as it should be. The Players were having none of the idea of playing on.

Terrible to see... apparently he had a pulse when they carted him off in an ambulance that was out on the field, but he was on oxygen.

Really weird play; he made the hit, stood up, then fell flat on his back.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2023-01-02 10:28 PM | Reply

"21 years old."

24 years old. Two years out of the University of Pittsburgh. Hometown boy. Not a big guy by NFL standards:

Born: March 24, 1998 (age 24)
McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)

Here's the toy drive he organized:

The Chasing M's Foundation Community Toy Drive

As I embark on my journey to the NFL, I will never forget where I come from and I am committed to using my platform to positively impact the community that raised me. I created The Chasing M's Foundation as a vehicle that will allow me to deliver that impact, and the first program is the 2020 Community Toy Drive.

www.gofundme.com

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 10:29 PM | Reply

24 correct, 2nd year player.

#7 | Posted by truthhurts at 2023-01-02 10:30 PM | Reply

Before tonight's game, Damar took the time to hug his mom:

Damar Hamlin gets in a second to hug his mom, Nina and family pregame.

Always gotta make time for mom

twitter.com

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 10:34 PM | Reply

He didn't take his talent for granted, but he did take his responsibility as a role model seriously:

twitter.com

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 10:51 PM | Reply

Update on Damar:

His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests.

We will provide updates as we have them.

Source is me - His friend and marketing rep.

twitter.com

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 10:59 PM | Reply

The whole thing was heartbreaking. That it played out on live TV while his mother was in the audience to witness, that I just can't imagine. And I'm extremely disappointed for a comment made on the nooner from someone I thought better of. The incident tonight was not a troll worthy moment. For what it's worth, my thoughts and prayers are with him, his family, his team mates and the Bengals fans who showed respect snd care. A lesson all could learn from.

#11 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2023-01-02 11:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hope the info in #10 is accurate. Other sources are saying something very different:

twitter.com

Alleghany County is where Pittsburgh/Pitt are located.

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 11:11 PM | Reply

#11 Whine one one. We have another patient waiting for you. Stat.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2023-01-02 11:13 PM | Reply

#13 I see you gave up on the AA/NA meetings. It shows.

#14 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2023-01-02 11:16 PM | Reply

I quit drinking long ago. I was never a drug user so wrong yet again.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2023-01-02 11:19 PM | Reply

ESPN handled this well, but all the broadcasters have forgotten about Chuck Hughes. This situation isn't unprecedented, even in the Super Bowl era.

#16 | Posted by rcade at 2023-01-02 11:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Is he #158?

#17 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2023-01-02 11:27 PM | Reply

Damar Hamlin's toy drive raises more than $800k in one hour after injury

www.democratandchronicle.com

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-02 11:28 PM | Reply

Scary stuff. Sucks for the Mom, that's every parent's worst fear. Having to wait and see must be excruciating. Hope his brain is ok.

Thanks for the seemingly legit update #10.

#19 | Posted by horstngraben at 2023-01-02 11:29 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY RCADE

I was thinking about Dennis Byrd myself.

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2023-01-02 11:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Goes to show why these players should be paid well. They take a lot of risk for our entertainment.

#21 | Posted by horstngraben at 2023-01-02 11:33 PM | Reply

Hard to believe parents still let their kids play football. Hope the best for this young man. Different sport but reminded me of Hank Gathers.

#22 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2023-01-03 01:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

www.youtube.com

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2023-01-03 01:32 AM | Reply

Good article from Rick Telander.

chicago.suntimes.com

#24 | Posted by Reinheitsgebot at 2023-01-03 01:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Hard to believe parents still let their kids play football."

Football players are royalty in this country. For as long as they're useful at least. It's difficult for some to weigh the benefits of that against the risks.

There's probably some kind of tree of liberty/risk of fatal injury analogy to explain it all.

#25 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2023-01-03 09:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What I believe needs to be done:

1. Hamlin given time to recover consciousness.
2. Bills given time to deal with this tragedy
3. All NFL teams play next weekend
4. The playoffs are pushed back one week
5. Cin/Bills game resumes play on wildcard weekend
6. Wildcard Playoffs start the following week.
7. Super Bowl is still played on same day ( there is a two week gap between championship games and the SB so that extra week is used to deal with this situation and thus eliminated).

#26 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2023-01-03 10:02 AM | Reply

Damar Hamlin's toy drive raises more than $800k in one hour after injury

www.democratandchronicle.com

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday

It's up to $3,000,000 now.

#27 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2023-01-03 10:09 AM | Reply

It's up to $3,000,000 now.

Even though I'm a Ravens fan I still recognize the fact that the Bills have one of the classiest organizations in professional sports. Maybe the classiest in the NFL.

When Josh Allen's grandma died a couple years ago the Bills mafia spread the word and made it possible for people to donate en-masse to Allen's hospital charity and they ended up raising a couple of million dollars.

If any city deserves a championship this year it's Buffalo. Been through a hell of a lot of tragedy and adversity.

#28 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2023-01-03 10:19 AM | Reply

Same thing happened in 1971 to Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions. Poor ol' Chuck died.

en.wikipedia.org

#29 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2023-01-03 12:35 PM | Reply

RE: Hank Gathers - the availability of defibrillators at sporting events led directly from his tragic death. Probably saved Hamlin's life.

#30 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-01-03 01:00 PM | Reply

I saw a photo of Bengals fans holding a candle light vigil somewhere in the city. Glad to see that my hometown is showing some class. I am certain that our residents are hoping for this young mans quick recovery.

#31 | Posted by Just_Joe at 2023-01-03 02:02 PM | Reply

Interesting take on the potential issue Hamlin faced last night:

Damar Hamlin Suffers Cardiac Arrest During NFL Game - Doctor Explains Commotio Cordis

#32 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2023-01-03 02:26 PM | Reply

Announcement directly from Damar's family:

twitter.com

#33 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2023-01-03 04:27 PM | Reply

Were Chuck Hughes and Hank Gather's deaths also a result of the Covid Vaccine?

Snark aside I read a summary by a cardiologist that very unlikely that it resulted from Commotio Cordis. It was in a medical newsletter that I scan and delete so cannot post it.

#34 | Posted by mattm at 2023-01-04 04:45 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable