Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Across the country, there's a silent frustration brewing about an age-old practice that many say is getting out of hand: tipping.

Comments

More from the article...

...Some fed-up consumers are posting rants on social media complaining about tip requests at drive-thrus, while others say they're tired of being asked to leave a gratuity for a muffin or a simple cup of coffee at their neighborhood bakery. What's next, they wonder -- are we going to be tipping our doctors and dentists, too?

As more businesses adopt digital payment methods, customers are automatically being prompted to leave a gratuity -- many times as high as 30% -- at places they normally wouldn't. And some say it has become more frustrating as the price of items has skyrocketed due to inflation, which eased to 6.5% in December but still remains painfully high.

"Suddenly, these screens are at every establishment we encounter. They're popping up online as well for online orders. And I fear that there is no end," said etiquette expert Thomas Farley, who considers the whole thing somewhat of "an invasion."

Unlike tip jars that shoppers can easily ignore if they don't have spare change, experts say the digital requests can produce social pressure and are more difficult to bypass. And your generosity, or lack thereof, can be laid bare for anyone close enough to glance at the screen " including the workers themselves....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-01-24 02:25 PM | Reply

"experts say the digital requests can produce social pressure "

My god. Why are righties such weak-wristed -------?

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-01-24 03:54 PM | Reply

I stopped eating out.In Canada they already get a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage and then expect 20% on top.20 dollars for french toast is bad enough without being forced to pay extra.

#3 | Posted by Scotty at 2023-01-24 03:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

People are just weak willed.

they see it printed on something or requested and they feel bad not tipping.

if they don't want to tip, don't.

and then get over it.

#4 | Posted by eberly at 2023-01-24 04:00 PM | Reply

It's in bad form not to tip. Unless the service is totally bad you should tip.

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2023-01-24 04:02 PM | Reply

Would be great if service industry was required to pay living wages so consumers weren't compelled to subsidize corporate employers

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-24 04:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

@#3 ... then expect 20% ...

In a prior life, I used to visit The Netherlands on business.

Tipping is not a custom there. When you eat at a restaurant and pay by credit card, the credit card slip you sign does not have a place to enter a tip. If you really want to leave a tip (against local custom), then you ask the waitperson for a credit card slip that has a line for the tip on it.

That produces a behavior in restaurants that I haven't seen elsewhere...

When you go to a restaurant, it is usually for the entire evening. The waitperson does not try to turn the tables over to maximize tips. Customers tend to enjoy a very leisurely meal, with conversation lasting for hours.

It actually was a quite enjoyable dining experience.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-01-24 04:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have no problem tipping for table service or delivery. None, unless the service really sucks. But if I'm spending my gas to grab takeout or counter service? No. My showing up at your counter does not qualify.

#8 | Posted by morris at 2023-01-24 05:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I had a pizza delivered not long ago. The chain shall remain nameless. As I gave my money for payment of the pizza as well as pepperoni rolls, 2 liter bottle of diet Pepsi, and sugar cinnamon sticks, the delivery person gave me back my change. I always count out my change. It's good thing I did. This driver decided he deserved a $7.00 tip. I don't mind tipping and I try to tip good when the service is good. But to have the driver decide what he felt was a good enough tip rather ticked me off. Needless to say, I haven't used this pizza chain since that incident.

#9 | Posted by keystone at 2023-01-24 06:51 PM | Reply

I tip for good service, that's not a given when you go places to eat out. It is my choice to leave a tip or not. If I see it included as part of the cost, I won't be back there again as my choice has been taken away.

You do what you are supposed to do as a waiter, I'll tip. For something so simple as a drive though convenience store, that doesn't get a tip. I'm already paying a higher price for the service. In many parts of the country, mandatory increases in minimum wage have been instituted. So the price I pay went up as well. Again, I'm paying a higher price for the service. Tips are optional.

#10 | Posted by BBQ at 2023-01-24 07:28 PM | Reply

What's annoying is credit card machines asking if you want to leave a tip while ordering coffee, or restaurant pickup.

WTF?

#11 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-01-24 07:53 PM | Reply

What's annoying is credit card machines asking if you want to leave a tip

Most of the time there is a "No" option.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-01-24 07:58 PM | Reply

ALL of the time. But it's not like MissingANut has ever actually had a credit card...

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-01-24 08:35 PM | Reply

I tip delivery drivers and servers well. I don't tip cashiers. Simple.

#14 | Posted by qcp at 2023-01-25 08:49 AM | Reply

Order food at home. Then you can play rumpy pumpy with whatever delivered your food (as they show in all the great hollywood movies). Then tipping won't seem so bad.

#15 | Posted by Monkeybars at 2023-01-25 08:49 AM | Reply

I waited tables and bartended for a decade. I was a good waiter and a better bartender and it was obvious from my tips that I was better than most people I worked with. Even then though, I was doing okay but not amazing by any stretch. Can't imagine how my coworkers were supporting themselves making much less than I was making. Especially the ones who were married and/or had kids. And in the places where base wage for wait staff was less than half minimum wage for other employees.

#16 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2023-01-25 09:14 AM | Reply

Service workers deserve hazard pay because of the global pandemic.

I can't make that happen, but I can be a drop in the bucket of economic justice.

I have been known to ask if the tips actually go to the workers.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-25 09:33 AM | Reply

#16 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine

That's why tipping has been a thing for waiting forever. A living wage would be a good place to start. It actually doesn't drive the price of the food up that much either but then you don't feel obligated to leave a tip for poor service either. I have had plenty of that over the years. If you do a good job or if something out of your control affects your service I leave a good tip but if you are chatting with the other staff and I am not getting service well it will not be so good. I watch the wait staff and I want to be fair because I know a lot of people don't tip well ever.

#18 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2023-01-25 11:01 AM | Reply

YES. South Park addressed this about a decade ago.

#19 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2023-01-25 03:10 PM | Reply

How about if the employers start paying their employees enough so that we don't have to supplement them with tips?

#20 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-01-25 04:30 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2023-01-25 11:01 AM | REPLY: Who would determine what a 'living wage' is? Would it be the same for a single individual as opposed to one who has a wife and child and could a business afford it?

#21 | Posted by MSgt at 2023-01-25 05:38 PM | Reply

I dont mind tipping, and have always generously tipped,25-30% frequently, if I dine in, and the service is good. You have to piss me off to get 10%. However, I too have noticed a (there is no other word for it) proliferation of deeds now considered tip worthy. Case in point, I called in an order for some Thai food the other week, and unlike lazy folks who door dash everything, I still drive and pick up my food. I get there, and my food is lying on a bar at the back of the establishment. A waitress sees me come in, has me walk to the back of the place to grab the food and pay at the bar. She prints out a receipt, and asks me how much I would like to tip, as she hands me a receipt where the tip starts at 18% and goes up from there.

A tip for what? For handing me the food bag over the bar that I drove to and walked all the way to the back of the establishment to get? And prompting me with the social pressure of asking me "how much I would like to tip" while handing me the receipt? Tipping, and what has become considered a tip worthy act, HAS gotten out of hand. Needless to say I left her no tip.

#22 | Posted by earthmuse at 2023-01-25 09:34 PM | Reply

I prefer to tip 20% to 25% if the service is good. I think that the cost of living is so high here in California that I just want to keep service people around since they are essential for the restaurant and entertainment business. I do like it when I'm in Europe where tipping is not so much an issue since their service workers get paid well.

#23 | Posted by Badcat at 2023-01-26 03:49 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable