Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Sales of huge pickups are sustaining carmakers, bringing in record profits -- yet pedestrian and road safety advocates say today's massive trucks are a hazard, given their size, weight, and driver blind spots.

Comments

More from the article...

...Driving the news: America has a unique love affair with pickup trucks " the Ford F-150 has been the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. for more than 40 years. But during that time, pickups have become bigger, bulkier, and more high-tech.

- - - In the 1980s, about half of pickup trucks were categorized as small or midsize. But by the 2010s, small pickups had nearly vanished as Americans increasingly bought into the big truck lifestyle.

- - - As pickups transitioned from workhorses to lifestyle vehicles, their design shifted accordingly: Cabs expanded to accommodate more passengers, while beds shrank.

- - - The first generation of F-150s was 36% cab and 64% bed by length. By 2021, the ratio flipped, with 63% cab and 37% bed....

One result of supersized trucks: greater risks to pedestrians and other drivers.

- - - Drivers of today's trucks sit much higher, creating a blind spot where small children or wheelchair users are hidden from view.

- - - Moreover, pickups' weight increased by 32% between 1990 and 2021, meaning they strike pedestrians with more force.

- - - Plus, the tall front of a truck strikes pedestrians in the torso or head " home to vital organs " whereas the lower hoods of cars typically strike pedestrians in the legs.

- - - Pickups also tend to be more dangerous in collisions between differently sized vehicles " car drivers are 2.5 times more likely to die when colliding with a pickup as compared to another car, per a 2019 study....

See the article for interesting charts and diagrams.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-01-25 03:58 PM | Reply

Incel kooks with tiny appendages.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-01-25 04:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

If you don't have a practical use for a pickup truck the larger the one you buy is the bigger a loser you are.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2023-01-25 04:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Today's full size pickups are completely absurd, unless you actually need one for work.

When my '03 Ranger craps out, I'll find a mid teens replacement.

#4 | Posted by Angrydad at 2023-01-25 05:46 PM | Reply

The excess weight of EV's share some of the same problems that trucks pose in terms of damage caused in an accident as well as accident avoidance - the extra weight reduces agility and extends braking distances.

#5 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-25 05:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

"How pickup trucks became so imposing"

As American men have gotten fatter over the past two generations, the fat around the belly extends past the base of the penis, thus making it appear smaller.

That's how.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-25 06:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I'm not much of a truck guy, but the one that hit me was about a 2000-ish GMC 1500.

I wonder if a 2023 would have put me out of my misery.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-25 06:51 PM | Reply

I bought a Ford Maverick a few months back. They call it a compact pickup. Came out of the hardware store recently to find a mid90s f150 parked next to me. My little truck was about the same size as that old full size.

#8 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2023-01-25 09:02 PM | Reply

It's all marketing. They convinced the soccer moms they were endangering their children if they were not driving the biggest SUV on the road. Once everyone had one, they needed to upsize again to get the upper hand. And they needed backup cameras so they'd stop running over their kids in the driveway.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-01-25 09:12 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Really? I would never have imagined that people in this day and age would buy the buzzword BS.

/s

#10 | Posted by JasonM at 2023-01-25 11:20 PM | Reply

The trucks are a hazard because people in my state (Michigan) drive like lunatics.

#11 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2023-01-26 12:18 AM | Reply

It's not the size that bugs me, it's the way a majority of them drive these behemoths that bugs me.

There is an intimidation factor when you look in your rear view mirror and see fender.

#12 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-01-26 01:50 AM | Reply

I look in my mirror and just see them getting smaller and farther away.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-01-26 02:12 AM | Reply

I for one am excited we found a way to step it up again and take them 2500 lb vehicles with utility to 3500 lb daily drivers, and now from 3500 to 6000 lbs behemoths. We always make the best consumer choices. Only the best.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 06:19 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2023-01-25 05:50 PM | FLAG:

Intriguingly, the most fun F-150 from the factory, the Raptor, only weighs 300 pounds less than the F-150 Lightning. Both 1700 and 2000 pounds heavier than the base model respectively. Fun to drive though, both of them. Clearly not time attack vehicles, but very exciting in straight line acceleration.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 08:03 AM | Reply

The super amazing F-150 PHEV clocks in at a ... svelte 5500 pounds, but that's with onboard generator, ice & battery system, etc. Truly the superior combination of technologies.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 08:06 AM | Reply

Tiny tiny penises on the owners.

#17 | Posted by Nixon at 2023-01-26 08:19 AM | Reply

And? I couldn't get by without a pick up truck. I do some personal training for free in my neighborhood for a core group of people a couple days a week. (I'm going to work out anyway, I have no issue if people join me). I transport 300 pound truck tires, portable pull up bars, kettle bells, etc ... . All the time. I also have a mid size truck, not a full size f150 , but eh.

There is a reason for most people to have trucks, even if 95% of the time is a grocery getter. Their convenience when you need it can't be beaten.

They pose more of a risk to pedestrians, but with the advent of cameras and proximity sensors all over the vehicle, is it REALLY a more dangerous? I'd like to see the data that trucks actually cause more severe injuries and deaths and are involved in proportional more accidents.

#18 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 08:26 AM | Reply

EPA regulations made small trucks less profitable so most manufacturers quit making them. I do wish they would quit making them taller, it's impossible to lift something heavy into the bed.

#19 | Posted by visitor_ at 2023-01-26 09:10 AM | Reply

I have a work car so I actually drive my truck only 30 miles a week on average. Necessary of that. I'm still driving my 2007 Honda ridgeline. I love this truck for one reason in particular: The tail gate folds down like normal, but also swings open like a car door. Sure that doesn't help with lifting heavy items up, but it's crazy hope much easier it is to reach deep into the bed to grab smaller items. Every pick up made should open both ways like this.

#20 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 09:29 AM | Reply

Good article, but here is also another one that everyone should read and it is directly related. The Real Reason Why Trucks Are Getting Bigger For the TL:DR - EPA Gas Mileage Rules.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2023-01-26 09:30 AM | Reply

"I transport 300 pound truck tires, portable pull up bars, kettle bells, etc"

You could pull all that in a cart behind a Nissan Rogue.

Trucks are convenient but rarely necessary.

Trucks just appeal to the Self Made Man myth.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 09:31 AM | Reply

"2007 Honda ridgeline"

Tall car. Unibody construction.

I thought real hard about getting a newer Ridgeline because who doesn't love the convenience of being able to throw something in the back.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 09:33 AM | Reply

But then I'd have to find a place to store the trailer ... . Which I can't fit in my garage because of my wife's car and other items ... And it's against my HOA to park them in the driveway. So I'd have to store it off site ... . Drive to go get it and back twice ... counting returning it ... which hardly seems more efficient.

#24 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 09:34 AM | Reply

#23 it is a tall car with a truck bed. Drives like a car. 16 years old and I have less than 120k on it. The AC is out right now, but otherwise drives like the day I bought it. Love it. It was a fault counter for about 4 years when I first bought it, but it's a grocery getter now and hauls my work out gear. Plus the occasional Lowe's/Home Depot trip.

#25 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 09:37 AM | Reply

Daily commuter not fault counter. Man I need better glasses and/or a larger phone.

#26 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 09:38 AM | Reply

The Ridgeline is a nice midsize truck.

The problem with all Japanese trucks is a lack of configurations. It's why the Titan and Tundra never really penetrated the US truck market. No cab, crew cab, king cab ... . Different bed lengths.

Unibody has its advantages in certain applications but for real work - payload, towing, etc it's gotta be body on frame.

#27 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 09:40 AM | Reply

Mini vans are nice but they won't tow a 10,000 boat. I have a truck but I put less than 1500 miles a year on it. I agree visibility is not very good. If I live long enough to outlast the current truck, the next one will be EV and have 360 degree cameras.

#28 | Posted by visitor_ at 2023-01-26 09:44 AM | Reply

Yep. Which is why I don't have one of those trucks. I need a bed for large objects, but no need to do "real work" So I didn't buy a truck that could do "real work."

#29 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 09:45 AM | Reply

" Unless you have 8' sheets of plywood or drywall in the bed a truck is a choice not a requirement. And technically you can get those into the back of a Dodge Grand Caravan lol.

Trucks just appeal to the Self Made Man myth.

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2023-01-26 09:31 AM | FLAG: "

You'd be surprised how many well off white collar types are serious DIY home improvement warriors on weekends. Further, people oftentimes use trucks to tow toys - boats, snowmobiles, etc. further, anyone who pulls toys around and has vacation property off the beaten path ain't getting it done in a Chrysler Pacifica.

#30 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 09:46 AM | Reply

Though I have to admit, I'm interested in buying a ford lightning or one of the new rivian trucks. But ... . I have zero need for a new vehicle until after I retire in a few years and lose the work car.

We'll see.

#31 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 09:49 AM | Reply

That's all true. They're still only a small percentage of owners. The sentiment driving purchase in my experience is decreased likelihood of dying in a head on collision with a smaller car.

#32 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2023-01-26 09:51 AM | Reply

Your HOA lets you park a truck in the driveway?

Where my parents live you see all the trucks == and SUVs even, which are licensed as trucks by the state -- down at the end of the street because it's against HOA rules to park them in front of your house or in your driveway.

Obviously a rule from a different time. When most privately owned trucks were in fact work trucks from people with a carpet shampooiong business or what have you.

I truly believe the appeal of a truck for most men is it makes them feel important, make them feel better about themselves by virtue to be a truck owner. Like when it's important to have toys and show them off to your neighbors see it as JeffJ describes. Same reason if you're a contractor, you make money on the outside of the house, because that's the part the neighbors are forced to see.

We are not rational actors; we love our cars.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 09:55 AM | Reply

#32. Some owners are like Chili Palmer. They like to sit up high; check things out.

#34 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 09:56 AM | Reply

" We are not rational actors; we love our cars.

#33 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2023-01-26 09:55 AM | FLAG: "

That is very true.

#35 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 09:58 AM | Reply

" Though I have to admit, I'm interested in buying a ford lightning or one of the new rivian trucks.

#31 | POSTED BY ABH AT 2023-01-26 09:49 AM | FLAG:

Maybe instead of the Lightning you should get a Raptor.

#36 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 09:59 AM | Reply

Personally, I'm not a truck person. I prefer a car. And a manual transmission.

#37 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:01 AM | Reply

Personally, I'm not a truck person. I prefer a car. And a manual transmission.
#37 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

I got you bro!
www.cargurus.com

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:05 AM | Reply

Fun fact: Every state is filled with bad drivers. People say things like "drivers in __(random state)__ are the worst." Talk to enough people and eventually you'll hear that uttered about every state in the country. Near the borders, you'll find animosity between people of both states, claiming people from the other state are bad drivers. They're all correct, because people are stupid.

#39 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 10:08 AM | Reply

I saw a Rivian down by the Greyhound station the other day. It looked just like a truck.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:10 AM | Reply

On topic, studies are showing that bigger vehicles are directly resulting in more pedestrian deaths, especially children, because the drivers literally can't even see them. The vast majority of truck owners never use their trucks for towing or off-roading and would be just as well served with a smaller SUV or sedan. I'd be fine with letting people choose if their choices weren't literally killing people. Congress needs to step in and end this absurdity.

#41 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 10:12 AM | Reply

The problem with all Japanese trucks is a lack of configurations. It's why the Titan and Tundra never really penetrated the US truck market. No cab, crew cab, king cab.

#27 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2023-01-26 09:40 AM | FLAG:

That's a you problem not a manufacturer problem lol. The extremely low volume on anything that's not a 4 door crew cab is seeing them phased out of the US market. People want SUV interiors with truck beds.

#42 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 10:14 AM | Reply

"bigger vehicles are directly resulting in more pedestrian deaths"

Also on topic, laws against jaywalking were created specifically to indemnify automobile drivers when they injure or kill pedestrians. About a hundred years ago. When only rich people could afford cars.

I am always mystified how many people have decided to build their lives around their cars.

I walk to the grocery store and most any other place I want to be. The walkability score of this address is 96.

"A similar study conducted by CEOs for Cities found that for each extra point in Walk Score a home received, the value increased by anywhere from $700 to $3k, and that homes considered to have "above-average" walkability netted sellers a premium of $4k " $34k." www.homes.com

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:20 AM | Reply

"People want SUV interiors with truck beds."

I was also looking at the Santa Cruz. Feels like the best of both worlds but also can fit into a normal sized parking space.

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:21 AM | Reply

" Congress needs to step in and end this absurdity.

#41 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2023-01-26 10:12 AM | FLAG: "

How? What do you expect Congress to do?

#45 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:25 AM | Reply

#36 a raptor? Yeah pay 30k more, for more maintenance, less performance, and higher running costs through having to purchase and stop for gasoline?

Yeah ... no thanks.

#46 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 10:26 AM | Reply

" People want SUV interiors with truck beds."

The El Camino and Ranchero were apparently ahead of the curve

#47 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:26 AM | Reply

#45 Congress can regulate truck height, visibility, braking distance, etc., especially if those issues are directly causing American deaths.

#48 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 10:27 AM | Reply

#43. That's interesting. It makes sense when you really think about it.

#49 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:28 AM | Reply

"Mini vans are nice but they won't tow a 10,000 boat."

This just in: Boats are meant to travel over water, not land.

Why on earth would anyone tow a boat? Are you recreating the Lewis and Clark expedition with modern technology? www.americaslibrary.gov

#50 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:28 AM | Reply

#48. I hear you but it sounds more difficult than you are intimating given the prolific use of cameras in vehicles, oversized brakes, etc.

#51 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:30 AM | Reply

#50 tell me you know nothing about owning a boat without saying you know nothing about owning a boat.

Have you ever seen the cost comparison of storing a boat at a marina vs a storage yard near your house and towing it to the water?

#52 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 10:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If you don't live in NYC, DC, Chicago, or maybe SF, it is exceedingly difficult and outright dangerous to not travel by car.

#53 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 10:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

^
You people have no sense of humor.
That's right. "You people." You're one of "Them" aren't you!

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:32 AM | Reply

#51 What do cameras and oversized brakes have to do with anything when data shows that oversized vehicles are killing people? Height and visibility are the problem; brakes aren't going to do anything if you can't see the 6 year old crossing the street in front of your penile compensation vehicle.

#55 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 10:33 AM | Reply

The internet is not sarcasms best medium

#56 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 10:34 AM | Reply

" Why on earth would anyone tow a boat?"

Cost. Unless a person lives on the body of water where they use their boat, keeping the boat on a body of water is very expensive and some like to use their boat on multiple bodies of water. That's why recreational lakes have public boat launches.

#57 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:35 AM | Reply

#52 | POSTED BY ABH

^
Have you ever seen the cost of renting a boat for a day?

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:36 AM | Reply

"What do cameras and oversized brakes have to do with anything when data shows that oversized vehicles are killing people?"

He doesn't know how eyeballs work.

#59 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:36 AM | Reply

The internet is not sarcasms best medium
#56 | POSTED BY ABH

What's it like to be wrong about literally everything?

#60 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:37 AM | Reply

#33. My HOA doesn't allow trucks with commercial insignia on them, and their are some regulations about size of them. Like dually f350 and similar trucks aren't allowed, but if you own a pick up, jeep, or suv it's all good.

#61 | Posted by ABH at 2023-01-26 10:38 AM | Reply

"I consider this a chicken or the egg situation. Politicians made a conscious choice several decades ago to destroy city neighborhoods to allow massive interstates to cut through the urban interior, and locally fill city neighborhoods with stroads that people treat as their personal racetrack."

It's much more a fact that an increasing number of people simply don't want to live in a big city, especially when raising children. People like their yards. Kids prefer to play on a grass backyard where things are more spaced out than playing stickball on concrete with cars constantly interrupting the game.

#62 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:41 AM | Reply

" Have you ever seen the cost of renting a boat for a day?

#58 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2023-01-26 10:36 AM | FLAG: "

Smaller secluded lakes don't have boat rental options. Heck, most lakes don't have that option. Further, rental boats tend to be underpowered and generic.

#63 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 10:44 AM | Reply

"Kids prefer to play on a grass backyard where things are more spaced out than playing stickball on concrete with cars constantly interrupting the game."

JFC you're so full of ----.

That's why you don't live near blacks.

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:45 AM | Reply

"Smaller secluded lakes don't have boat rental options."

Nor do they require 10,000 lb boats to enjoy time on the water.

#65 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:46 AM | Reply

10,000 lbs on a small lake.. wtf you towing a small houseboat? A 23' center console or reasonable pontoon boat, on trailer, is in the 5500 lb range fully decked out.

#66 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 10:58 AM | Reply

Ya know when I was a kid my dad helped some guy build a samll wooden sailboat, maybe ten feet.
We towed that to the lake behind a car. Of course, a truck from that era would have about the same towing capacity as my Subaru Outback.

Actually I just checked a 77-82 Ford Courier has a 2,000 lbs max trailer weight, my Outback can tow 2,700 lbs.
LMFAO

#67 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 10:59 AM | Reply

The Nissan Rogue you mentioned earlier, Towing Capacity: 1500 lbs. Empty weight on a lowly, 6x12 enclosed single axle trailer is.. 1200 pounds. Don't dare get a double axle, you'll be at 1800 pounds.

#68 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 11:02 AM | Reply

Then your CVT makes like a hand grenade.

#69 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 11:03 AM | Reply

2 words...

'Toxic Masculinity'

The same types of 'men' that
gotta have a huge pickup truck,
correlate closely with the types
of men that gotta have 10 or more
guns...

If you actually need it for your
work, okay, you get a pass.

I'm betting that 60% of the men
that drive them, don't need them,
just compensating for a feeling of
insecurity and lowered 'manliness'.

#70 | Posted by earthmuse at 2023-01-26 11:06 AM | Reply

#68 They make aluminum trailers.

I also meant a Nissan Rogue from 15 years ago. If you buy a Ghosn era Nissan you get what you pay for.

#71 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 11:06 AM | Reply

Yes, the pickup keeps getting larger and larger, but the bed has gotten smaller and smaller. If you need a pickup to actually haul things, they're practically worthless. Not to mention too high off the ground you need a stepladder to access the bed. I switched to Jeep Grand Cherokees about 10 years ago, and bought a 14' trailer for the times I need to haul something.

#72 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2023-01-26 11:07 AM | Reply

" Not to mention too high off the ground you need a stepladder to access the bed."

And now the step ladder built into the bumper or the gate is a selling feature.

I swear, truck owners are like guys who wear their baseball cap backwards and then put up their hand to block the sun in their eyes.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 11:10 AM | Reply

" It's because of blacks. Because your kids might play with blacks. And you might get robbed by blacks.

That's why you don't live near blacks.

#64 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2023-01-26 10:45 AM | FLAG: "

No, it isn't. Not sure why you went 100% douche. Maybe you can't help yourself. Much to the left's chagrin we are becoming an increasingly "color blind" country. Grievance is a huge money making grift. Racial harmony harms the grift. That's why the worst people are the ones who proclaim to advance certain racial demographics while doing everything in their power to hold those demographics back.

#74 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-01-26 11:11 AM | Reply

"Much to the left's chagrin we are becoming an increasingly "color blind" country."

Remind me, which AP class is verboten in Florida?
Not sure why you went 100% douche.
But it's probably because you're a racist Republican.

#75 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 11:19 AM | Reply

#68 They make aluminum trailers.

#71 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2023-01-26 11:06 AM | FLAG:

That is aluminum on the weights I quoted. I have a Magic Tilt trailer for a small very shallow water fishing boat and a Cargo USA box on wheels to fit RC planes.

Still not uncommon for people to tow boat-trailer setups approaching 10,000 pounds. Boat slip rental is expensive, can easily go upwards of $700/month. The alternative is a valet dry storage where you just show up and the boat is waiting for you at the dock, fueled and ready, and then returned to dry storage for you after the adventure. Also quite costly. Much cheaper to park the trailer at a local self-storage and zip on the covers.

#76 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 11:20 AM | Reply

"Still not uncommon for people to tow boat-trailer setups approaching 10,000 pounds."

With a No Fat Chicks decal on the driver side door.

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 11:26 AM | Reply

You generally don't find those on the trucks of people with $150k boats.

Come kick it with me in the backwaters on my surface drive gator trax... that's something else. Deep bayou culture, definitely need a sense of humor.

#78 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 11:28 AM | Reply

"You generally don't find those on the trucks of people with $150k boats."

And yet you do find people with $150,000 boats who prefer pulling them to the lake instead of parking them there?
These people simply like pulling boats. They can afford to park them. But they'd rather show off their boat as they drive.

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

#79 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 11:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You are referring to what here are the people that drive around in side by sides utility vehicles that are lifted beyond comprehension just to parade up and down a flat beach.

On boats, something different. The flashy guys wrap their boats and parade them up and down the channel, they join Trump Flotillas. $100k on a boat isn't all that anymore, it's just a competition bass boat that you can fit in a garage. $150k is the same boat but with accessories and your fishing gear on it. A 25' foot fishing boat you wouldn't want to confine to 1 body of water when you can fish many large lakes and the entire coast. On boats where it stops making sense to tow it, we're starting to move into the $250k - $500k range.

#80 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 11:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

What the Venn Diagram overlap between people who have $150,000 boats and people who complain the price of eggs is too high?

#81 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 11:44 AM | Reply

#70 | Posted by earthmuse

Or we just grew up with them and love the convenience. My dad owned an industrial wood business and Saw mill. Always had a truck. When I started driving in the 1980s, it was his old truck. Honestly, if I didn't drive a truck I would drive a bigger SUV because I am a big guy but the truck has so much more ready to go utility. I have had S10s and Dakotas when I was younger then went to full size. When gas mileage is virtually the same between a mid-size truck and a full size and you can do so much more with a full size, why would you get a mid-size? I have a 10-minute commute and I use the bed of my truck at least a couple of times a week for things I wouldn't want to put in an SUV. The trailering thing is such a pain in comparison to a ready to go bed. My buddy who drives a hybrid CRV does that. My truck was in the shop and I needed stuff from Home Depot ASAP. I had gone to the store, bought what I needed, rented the Home Depot truck, took the stuff to my house and had the truck back before he had his trailer out of the back yard and set up. I don't do it often but sometimes I pull a dual axle trailer around with a tractor too for friends/family. We have been wanting to get a boat but having had one in the past I can't convince myself to incur the time and expenses...

I also grew up a car guy, nothing to do with toxic masculinity as an 8 year old kid I loved fast cars, motorcycles and the like. Nothing like the rumble of a V8. I never grew out of that.

#82 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2023-01-26 11:50 AM | Reply

Older Republicans with Facebook probably. We can get wackier though. $1.1 million into a Freeman 42. Definitely terrible to keep it in a slip. If you want to fish the 8000' water column of Perdido rig, you have to truck it down to South Padre Island right on the border. Then when you're ready to take it to the Bahamas for the Winter, you either need to truck it to Miami and make the passage or ship it on another ship direct.

#83 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 11:50 AM | Reply

"Nothing like the rumble of a V8. I never grew out of that."

Nobody outgrows that.
One of the reasons I don't have a V8 is I know I won't ever go back.

#84 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 12:05 PM | Reply

an increasing number of people simply don't want to live in a big city

What the ---- are you talking about, and what does that have to do with this conversation?

#85 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 12:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trucks stink for those of us with smaller cars. I am sorry many of you feel the need to drive a bus to get a cup of coffee. Trucks are big because they are not treated like trucks- if they were they would be taxed as a truck, not as a car.

#86 | Posted by Brennnn at 2023-01-26 12:48 PM | Reply

Theyre in reverse proportion to the size of the driver's [word that will be censored by this puritanical website]

#87 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2023-01-26 12:49 PM | Reply

Some vehicles fake the engine noise using the sound system.

#88 | Posted by visitor_ at 2023-01-26 01:24 PM | Reply

#62 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Do you ever tire of being wrong about literally everything?

It is estimated that 83% of the U.S. population lives in urban areas, up from 64% in 1950. By 2050, 89% of the U.S. population and 68% of the world population is projected to live in urban areas.css.umich.edu
Check the graph at the link. Aside from Chicago, every one of the ten largest cities in America experienced population growth in the last decade.

Swallow it.

#89 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 01:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#62 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

You should stop using the world "fact", when you mean "uniformed opinion".

You're one of the dumbest posters on the DR.

You should be embarrassed. But I doubt you're cognizant enough to understand.

#90 | Posted by ClownShack at 2023-01-26 01:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Some vehicles fake the engine noise using the sound system.
#88 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Brilliant. Give the microdick driver the compensation they need without wasting any gas.

#91 | Posted by JOE at 2023-01-26 02:15 PM | Reply

Artificial noise is required for electrics, so you don't run over the blind. It's usually a fake engine noise, because that's what you want a blind person to hear when they're working to avoid cars.

#92 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 02:22 PM | Reply

I've got a GMC diesel 3500HD, because I often haul heavy loads, trailers, and a camper. It was my daily driver for a few years. Because of fuel prices, last year I purchased a used RAV 4 for the daily use. I still keep the truck for the heavy work. But it gets driven far less now. Ironically, that truck still blue books for as much as I paid for it in 2017.

I wish someone would make a reasonably priced EV version of a small truck. I'd happily replace the RAV with that.

#93 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-01-26 02:33 PM | Reply

#88 | POSTED BY VISITOR_..

wasn't that in a comedy movie?

I might add, these trucks don't fit in normal parking spaces.

#94 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-01-26 02:51 PM | Reply

#93 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT

The old Ford ranger is a size that would work for me. But do need a bigger engine to tow, and go on back roads.

#95 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-01-26 02:52 PM | Reply

I wish someone would make a reasonably priced EV version of a small truck.

#93 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT AT 2023-01-26 02:33 PM | FLAG:

Who reasonable is reasonable? You're looking at $8k for just a 60kW battery, and lack the aerodynamics required for an efficient EV, which means you need a monster $15k+ battery before you even think about trying to tow something.

#96 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 03:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

How reasonable is reasonable?

#97 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 03:19 PM | Reply

IMO they shouldn't cost as much as that diesel GMC did.

#98 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-01-26 03:30 PM | Reply

Should be in the $50k range then. Unfortunately that's an appropriate price for a small truck EV. Big battery, low rate production, poor aerodynamic efficiency, it doesn't make for a reasonable EV truck at a reasonable price.

#99 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 03:53 PM | Reply

#96 | Posted by sitzkrieg

A large portion of pickup truck owners who actually use the "pickup" part, never need to tow anything farther than the local tool rental and back.

#100 | Posted by Angrydad at 2023-01-26 05:16 PM | Reply

"I wish someone would make a reasonably priced EV version of a small truck."

Here you go!
www.evalbum.com

#101 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-26 05:16 PM | Reply

Oh that's gold Snoofy.

Charger 120 volt 'badboy'
Nothing but a $6 e-bay bridge rectifier on a scrap of aluminum. This is why I selected 132 volts; it draws 45 amps briefly and gradually tapers down to 1 amp and floats there. Has a standard cheap dryer outlet mounted by the door where I won't forget to unplug it, and a dangerous exposed plug with a on/off safety switch, timer and amp/hr meter. Touching battery terminals can be fatal.

#102 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-26 06:25 PM | Reply

Unless one is using a huge pickup for work, they're unnecessary. Having to drive behind one is like staring at a brick wall.

Big truck/SUV (without a need) = small crotch.

#103 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2023-01-26 07:10 PM | Reply

#103 I have no need nor would I have any desire in over compensation for a lack of a crotch. That being said I would love to get an imposing truck myself. I'll walk away from a crash a lot easier than a rice grinder and probably be able to drive it home safely too.

#104 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2023-01-26 07:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The trailering thing is such a pain in comparison to a ready to go bed.

I've seen guys with new trucks use trailers to haul stuff because they don't want to scuff up the box liner in the truck bed.

#105 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-01-26 08:03 PM | Reply

This one's a hybrid, but I kinda like it. Check out the Ford Maverick.

#106 | Posted by YAV at 2023-01-26 08:48 PM | Reply

----------,Big truck.Simple pimple.

Everyone I know with a big truck,has multiple guns and is scared of everything.

#107 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2023-01-26 10:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not you know the folks that own big trucks have small dicks or not. Do you know this as an objective fact or not?

#108 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2023-01-26 10:31 PM | Reply

Do you know this as an objective fact or not?

And a follow up question, how?

#109 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-01-26 10:46 PM | Reply

Not a f*g,so that would be no. Are you?

#110 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2023-01-26 10:48 PM | Reply

I 'need' one to haul nieces and nephews to Kart races. I could get by with something smaller than an F350 but I dont want to, it's a free country. If I didnt have a 5th wheel I'd probably still drive it. I like it. I like seeing over the top of the cars in front of me in traffic. I like having better odds of surviving a serious crash. No one tailgates me. You'd have to be a fool to break check me. It's great on road trips, I can go anywhere in any weather.
If it helps you Honda drivers cope, toll roads suck for us. Drove it cross country to see the three Liverpool preseason matches a few years ago. Socal > Memphis > Charleston SC > Jersey > Ann Arbor > Memphis > Socal. 115 bucks in tolls just to get through Baltimore and Ohio can suck the entire inch of my micro penis. There was a bridge in Philly that was 5 dollars for cars and 45 for me.

#111 | Posted by BluSky at 2023-01-27 06:53 AM | Reply

Not a f*g,so that would be no. Are you?

The biggest dicked men I have ever played with drove pickup trucks. I'm not talking a little bit bigger, either.
I think the expression is used to make those using it feel better, like so many things that get said.
Objectively people must know there'd be nothing to that saying, right?

Also I'm glad to know you're not gay Effeteposer. Score one for team gay.

#112 | Posted by YAV at 2023-01-27 07:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Trucks just appeal to the Self Made Man myth.

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

This.

For the average guy who drives a truck, it's more about what they've been told they should be doing than what they really need.

I have several family members who drive trucks that are practically minivans with an open cargo space. They're used more like minivans than trucks, though, and it's ego that prevents the more rational decision to buy the minivan.

#113 | Posted by jpw at 2023-01-27 08:45 AM | Reply

Pickup trucks are a waste of space IMO.

When I lived in the US, I drove a Yukon Denali. It had the biggest gasoline engine you could get in a truck/SUV, so it was perfect to haul around ATVs or my ski boat. But instead of having a mostly useless bed, it had two rows of seating, which included an entertainment system. So it also worked really well for road trips.

#114 | Posted by madbomber at 2023-01-27 09:11 AM | Reply

My dad had an SUV in the early 90s when I was finishing high school. He used to let me drive it all the time. Would take girls out on dates in it. My high school sex life owes a lot to that folding back seat. At the time I'd have argued it was worth the environmental degradation. So did it make me feel like more of a man? I'd have to concede that yes, it absolutely did lol. Just not in the way most of you are discussing here.

#115 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2023-01-27 09:23 AM | Reply

For the average guy who drives a truck

#113 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2023-01-27 08:45 AM | FLAG:

The actual biggest negative of owning a truck is that all your friends whom do not own one call you when they need one.

#116 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-01-27 09:23 AM | Reply

It's like owning a boat. You don't want to own a boat, but you want to have friends who do.

#117 | Posted by madbomber at 2023-01-27 09:52 AM | Reply

#116 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

The only thing they complain about more is gas prices.

#118 | Posted by jpw at 2023-01-27 10:33 AM | Reply

You should be embarrassed. But I doubt you're cognizant enough to understand.

#90 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

Shamelessness is a magamorans superpower.

#119 | Posted by donnerboy at 2023-01-27 10:46 AM | Reply

#116 | Posted by sitzkrieg a

oh lord have mercy yes.....that's the principle reason I got rid of mine.

amazing how too....same people that made a wise ass crack about it..were some of the first ones begging for me to

move their stuff for them.

#120 | Posted by shrimptacodan at 2023-01-27 02:58 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable