Friday, January 27, 2023

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued proposed guidance Friday to ease restrictions on blood donations by men who have sex with men.

END;

Comments

More from the article...

...The change is expected to take effect after a public comment period.

The restrictions on donating blood date back to the early days of the AIDS epidemic and were designed to protect the blood supply from HIV. Originally, gay and bisexual men were completely prohibited from donating blood. Over time, the FDA relaxed the lifetime ban, but still kept in place some limits.

Under the current policy -- last updated in 2020 -- men who have sex with men can donate blood if they haven't had sexual contact with other men for three months.

The new proposed policy would eliminate the time-based restrictions on men who have sex with men (and their female partners) and instead assess potential donors' eligibility based on a series of questions that assess their HIV risk, regardless of gender. Anyone taking medications to treat or prevent HIV, including PrEP, would not be eligible.

The risk assessment would include questions about ---- sex. Potential donors who've had ---- sex in the last three months with a new sexual partner or more than one sexual partner would not be eligible to give blood.

The changes are aimed at addressing criticism that the current policy is discriminatory and outdated, as well as one more barrier to bolstering the nation's blood supply. Blood banks already routinely screen donated blood for HIV....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-01-27 11:40 AM | Reply

donations by men who have sex with men

I mean, it's all about what you identify as nowadays, anyway, right?

#2 | Posted by censored at 2023-01-27 05:10 PM | Reply

Liability issues will prevent men who have ---- with men from donating blood in general.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2023-01-27 05:39 PM | Reply

Lo siento, pinche cabrone.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-01-27 06:42 PM | Reply

donations by men who have sex with men
I mean, it's all about what you identify as nowadays, anyway, right?
#2 | POSTED BY CENSORED AT 2023-01-27 05:10 PM

The right identification.

I couldn't lie to the nun - wouldn't, so all of my co-workers, administrators to janitors see that I left the trailer without a donation sticker.

The blood drop is worn as a symbol of solidarity, kindness and selflessness. Something more precious than my dignity or my job. And it separated us forever in that moment.

There are worse ways to be outed in a professional environment, I suppose. But I didn't realize a blood drive could be used to get rid of people until the trap was sprung.

#5 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2023-01-28 03:36 PM | Reply

I suppose that's why they made us mill around outside - to watch over each other. Closely. #5 | Posted by redlightrobot

Strange. Every blood donation I've ever been to gave the stickers whether you donated or were unable to donate. The intention was to avoid any sort of stigma to those who couldn't donate, whether it was because of bhut-secks, medication, illness, etc...

When you donated, you would also apply one of two UPC stickers indecipherable to human eyes. One meant "use my blood" while the other meant "don't use my blood." So you could actually go through the donation procedure, but they would toss the blood if you didn't want them to use it.

#6 | Posted by censored at 2023-01-28 06:47 PM | Reply

Interesting anecdote RLR.

It's definitely a great scenario to out somebody.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-01-28 06:49 PM | Reply

There's all sort of disqualifiers.
www.redcrossblood.org

I think this is mostly in your head.

I helped run a blood drive for the key club in high school. We did this much because its possible to go into shock, faint; This is because of the temporary lowering of blood pressure.

It's definitely a great scenario to out somebody. ~ Snoofy

You're an idiot.

#8 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-01-28 09:51 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY CENSORED AT 2023-01-28 06:47 PM

This was a Catholic organization.

Nuns ritually bless conference rooms.

The irony being that I was virgin, never kissed another person, but agreed that the mere fact of being homosexual disqualified me.

It's a painful fact that we didn't know enough about AIDS to really trust or distrust what we were told - that homosexuals spread disease.

Being safer was the sacrifice, and I knew this was going to have consequences.

The point is that more lives can now be factually saved.

#9 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2023-01-29 02:52 AM | Reply

Interesting anecdote RLR.
It's definitely a great scenario to out somebody.
#7 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2023-01-28 06:49 PM

I pass. But not the sniff test - my laugh, vocabulary or a stupid movie reference will eventually out me. :]

If Tim Gunn, Danny Kaye and a sarcastically posed K-Mart mannequin walked into a gestation chamber, I'm what walks out.

#10 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2023-01-29 03:17 AM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2023 World Readable