Friday, November 24, 2023

Planning to fly somewhere this week? You are not alone. The Transportation Security Administration expects to screen 30 million people over the Thanksgiving holiday. That's a lot of suitcases ...

Comments

More from the article...

... Every suitcase lost by an airline in the United States (and some lost on trains and buses) eventually ends up in this little city about 150 miles northwest of Atlanta, in a 50,000-square-foot building. And it's all for sale. At a big discount. ...

Here's how it works: When a suitcase gets lost (or a pole vaulting shipping container) the airline spends up to three months trying to get it back to its owner. But after three months, the airline gives up and reimburses the owner, up to $3,800.

In fact, 99.5% of suitcases checked on airlines do NOT get lost. It's just that the 0.5% that does, adds up to a LOT of stuff. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-24 03:13 PM | Reply

Lose? I bet Sam knows.

#2 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-11-24 04:48 PM | Reply

@#1 ... ends up in this little city about 150 miles northwest of Atlanta, in a 50,000-square-foot building. And it's all for sale. At a big discount. ...

From the items for sale shown in the article, that looks like a good place to shop.

50,000 sq ft. That's a lot of sq ft for a store.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-24 06:32 PM | Reply

I've had bags delayed but never lost. Though I always try to travel with just a carryon whenever possible.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-24 06:42 PM | Reply

@#4 ... I've had bags delayed but never lost. ...

Same here.

The one time it happened to me, the bag was delivered to my house the next day by a friendly, and very apologetic, person.

As she told me, it turned out my suitcase visited Brazil for a short time. I asked if the airline could send me to Brazil instead of my luggage next time. The response was a big smile and a "that's over my pay grade. Here's your luggage sir."

The article notes some things you can do to make your baggage less likely to wind up as "lost."

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-24 06:59 PM | Reply

Same here.

Me too. Never lost one but I've had a few with significant damage, including one that had a tire track on it.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-24 07:02 PM | Reply

@#6 ... including one that had a tire track on it. ...

I've sat at the gate in the terminal waiting for my flight and I've seen a piece of baggage fall off the conveyor belt to the plane.

I went to the gate desk and told the airline person. The time I saw it, the airline folk "rescued" the baggage in time.

"Tire track" - what did the airline say/do for that?

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-24 07:09 PM | Reply

"Tire track" - what did the airline say/do for that?

They bought be a new suitcase. The guy at the service counter laughed when I showed it to him... he said, "Yeah, we probably did that one".

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-24 07:40 PM | Reply

@#11 ... If your bag runs the gauntlet of DEI theft and incompetence ...

Yeah, you're gonna need to try harder to ascribe what your alias asserts to the reason your alias ascribes to those actions.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-24 09:53 PM | Reply

@#14, 15

So nothing.

Quelle surprise.

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-24 10:20 PM | Reply

RIGHT ! Accident.

I don't get it with all the (fake) dummy cams [for driving idiots where you want them for better Quality]
, and all perfectly placed LIVE cams all done by an actual SECURITY Company instead of 12 year olds.
This is the problem in most places, idiots don't even know the first rule of using dummy cams, idiot
managers trying to think they know everything. So, you get theft and influx of more cutthroats for more theft as
word gets out.

#17 | Posted by mw6789MW at 2023-11-25 08:59 AM | Reply

,, * psssssst! * Live cams are always hidden.

#18 | Posted by mw6789MW at 2023-11-25 09:00 AM | Reply

True story, I was flying FRA-->LAS. My suitcase had a broken wheel when I got it from the belt. I went to complain at the luggage office. They said I could buy a new one and file for reimbursement or get a new one right there. I chose the new one.

No kidding, at least for Delta, Harry McCarren airport has a room full of new suitcases to replace those that were damaged in flight. It ended up being a ------ suitcase, and I gave it to a friend.

I've got my eyes on a Rimowa. I don't mind spending money on something that is going to last. Thoughts?

#19 | Posted by madbomber at 2023-11-25 03:10 PM | Reply

#19 Ask a flight attendant.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-25 03:24 PM | Reply

Nordstrom shoppers are not impressed:
www.nordstrom.com

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-25 03:25 PM | Reply

Harry McCarren airport

I think it's Harry Reid airport now.

#22 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-25 03:31 PM | Reply

I'm a bag checker. Rimowa owners, in my experience, tend to like the prettiness. They put them in the overheads. I'm just tired of buying a new suitcase every six months.

Pelican also makes travel cases, but they're really heavy.

That said, I do have a Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus credit through one of my cards. Or several of my cards. Maybe it's time to put it to use.

#25 | Posted by madbomber at 2023-11-25 03:42 PM | Reply

Every six months?

My Costco suitcase Kirkland brand I assume lasted for a decade, but that wasn't really all that many flights.

Eventually one of the wheels kinda got mashed up.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-25 03:56 PM | Reply

"Every six months?"

Yup. ~Once a month FRA-->somewhere in the US for work. Not counting work trips in Europe, or vacation travel.

#27 | Posted by madbomber at 2023-11-25 04:31 PM | Reply

Who the ---- would employ a stupid ---- like you?

#28 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-11-25 10:45 PM | Reply

I travel with a backpack and a bag. Nobody damages them except me. I don't think I understand the problem.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-25 10:51 PM | Reply

I'm just tired of buying a new suitcase every six months.

What kind of crap bags are you using now? My lightweight Samsonite bags are over ten years old and still fine.

#30 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-25 10:54 PM | Reply

My duffel bag is never more than 5 ft away from me.

#31 | Posted by Tor at 2023-11-25 11:37 PM | Reply

My duffel bag is never more than 5 ft away from me.

I always check a bag and just bring a laptop bag for a carryon. I mostly do short haul 737 flights and there's never enough room for all those steamer trunk sized bags people try to drag into the cabin.

#32 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-26 01:01 AM | Reply

Sam Britton, darling of the Biden administration, flies a lot.

#33 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-11-26 10:32 AM | Reply

Sam Britton, darling of fired by the Biden administration, flies a lot.

#34 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-26 10:42 AM | Reply

" Lets Go Brandon " 's

, E X
Rooting! Aide
Cheerleader

#36 | Posted by mw6789MW at 2023-11-26 03:15 PM | Reply

They could do something about it ((esp in this tech OVERNIGHT order cams etc. A G E of ease.)

but they wont. The help must be practically free.

So, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOObviously

yes, obviously !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nobody cares.

#37 | Posted by mw6789MW at 2023-11-26 03:18 PM | Reply

Could be the baggage handlers.

youtu.be

#38 | Posted by shane at 2023-11-26 03:40 PM | Reply

#38 I loved those ads and I mis-remembered them as being for Samsonite. Unless there were copycat ads or something...

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-26 03:47 PM | Reply

WOW ! ---GREAT THREAD

#40 | Posted by mw6789MW at 2023-11-26 03:57 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable