Monday, November 27, 2023

The McDonald's menu in other countries is more creative than in the United States, such as Canada's offering of poutine fries and Germany's McShrimp sandwich. This is because the scale of every ingredient sourced for the American McDonald's franchises is so massive, said former McDonald's corporate chef Mike Haracz. He said when they considered adding a new item with fresh blueberries, it would have "used up the world's resources of blueberries."

Comments

I just wish they'd bring back super sized fries. Or at least start cooking them in beef fat again, as God intended.

#1 | Posted by censored at 2023-11-27 12:49 PM | Reply

I got back from Japan recently. They had a burger served with mashed potatoes on it. My Japanese isn't great but I think they called it the fat new york burger or something along those lines.
I'm not sure what mashed potatoes have to do with burgers in new york.

#2 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2023-11-27 01:02 PM | Reply

You think of McDs, you think mainly of hamburgers. That's not McDs main income maker. McDs went franchise with very few actually corporation owned stores now. McDs found a different money maker, more steady one. You see, now they are the real estate owner and they collect steady rent off the properties they own with a McDs store on it.

#3 | Posted by BBQ at 2023-11-27 01:13 PM | Reply

The first McD's shop within 20 miles of here just opened last weekend. It was an event!

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2023-11-27 01:24 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce

Japanese do a LOT we see as strange with food. When my Sister and Brother-in-law first moved there, they ordered Pizza from a menu by pictures and ended up with potato slices on their pizza. We all thought that was pretty funny.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2023-11-27 01:44 PM | Reply

I will say, going to a McDonald's outside the US is an experience. They are dramatically upscale from the US everywhere I have experienced one in Europe. Food quality is also FAR superior. I try to do it every new place I go now because just to try the non-US menu. The local people seem to like them in my experience too. It's kind of a destination thing for them.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2023-11-27 01:47 PM | Reply

#5 - the ones in Japan were not upscale. Tust looked like mcd's here. The starbucks locations there were definitely upscale compared to the ones I've been to here.

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2023-11-27 02:28 PM | Reply

Yuck

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-11-27 05:22 PM | Reply

Yup.

Supply chain issues.

So what else is new?

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-27 11:36 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY BBQ AT 2023-11-27 01:13 PM | REPLY

#10 | Posted by Dbt2 at 2023-11-28 12:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#10 ... Ray Kroc told people he wasn't in the fast-food business but the real estate business. ...

Whoa, i did not know that.

Here's what I found...

64 Years Ago, Ray Kroc Made a Decision That Completely Transformed McDonald's. The Rest Is History
www.inc.com

... Think "McDonald's" and you think fast food. But McDonald's isn't in the food business. Not really.

Hold that thought.

In 1956, Ray Kroc was a couple years into a business agreement with the McDonald brothers. He had opened his first franchise in Illinois. He had added a few more. But he struggled to bring in enough revenue to make a reasonable profit, much less generate funds for further expansion. Nor could he attract franchisees with sufficient capital to purchase their own land and build their own stores.

He faced the classic entrepreneurial dilemma: Rapid growth was needed to grow revenue per fixed costs and overcome tiny operating margins. But he had no money to fuel that growth.

Here's how Harry Sonneborn (more on him in a moment) sums up the situation in the movie The Founder:

"So, to summarize," Sonneborn says, "You have a miniscule revenue stream, no cash reserves, and an albatross of a contract that requires you to go through a slow approval process to make change, if they're approved at all. Which they never are. Am I missing anything?"

"That about sums it up," Kroc says.

Sonneborn thinks for a moment. "Tell me about the land," he says. "The land, the buildings...how that whole aspect of it works."

And with that question, everything changes for Kroc--and McDonald's.

"Pretty simple, really," Kroc says. "Franchisee finds a piece of land he likes, gets a lease, usually 20 years, takes out a construction loan, throws up a building, and off he goes."

The operator selects the site. The operator picks the property. Kroc provides training, the system, the operational know-how. The operator is responsible for the rest.

"Is there a problem?" Kroc says.

"You don't seem to realize what business you're in," Sonneborn says. "You're not in the burger business. You're in the real estate business." ...

[italics theirs]

I did not know that.

thx.

And wow, great article to read....

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-28 12:47 AM | Reply

The Big Mac was introduced in Pittsburgh in 1967. I remember playing girls softball and our coach said if we hit a home run he would buy us a big mac as a reward. I hit a home run that day. I was all of nine and I remember just how good that Big Mac tasted. They didn't introduce the Big Mac to the rest of the country until 1968.

#12 | Posted by keystone at 2023-11-28 04:26 AM | Reply

On Kroc learning what business he'd gotten himself into ... .

Nasrudin used to take his donkey across a frontier every day, with the panniers loaded with straw. Since he admitted to being a smuggler when he trudged home every night, the frontier guards searched him again and again. They searched his person, sifted the straw, steeped it in water, even burned it from time to time. Meanwhile he was becoming visibly more and more prosperous. Then he retired and went to live in another country. Here one of the customs offices met him, years later. "You can tell me now, Nasrudin," he said."Whatever was it that you were smuggling, when we could never catch you out?"

"Donkeys," said Nasrudin.

- Idries Shah, The Sufis

#13 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2023-11-28 06:59 AM | Reply

Ray crock was a bit of a sociopath but the founder is a pretty good movie.

Even the brothers that invented McDonald's and ray crock screwed over got over million dollar payoffs back in the sixties.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2023-11-28 07:57 AM | Reply

Why I never go to SickDonald's

#15 | Posted by DarkVader at 2023-11-28 01:10 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable