Monday, November 27, 2023

Spending quality time with a newborn can shape new fathers' brains and have a lasting impact on their parenting instincts, new research shows.

Comments

More from the article...

... Why it matters: The transitional period into parenthood is key for "building the fathering brain," researchers found, but the U.S. lags behind most of the rest of the world in its paternity leave policies. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-27 11:22 PM | Reply

"Spending engaged time with your new baby is a rare opportunity for long-term success in fatherhood ... "

When our son arrived there was no parental leave for my teacher-wife because he was adopted. I was able to spend perhaps the most resoundingly rewarding time with him. It was just a few months and doesn't seem to have adversely impacted him; that time certainly enriched my life. You may not appreciate it at the time, but that sort of contact is in every way foundational.

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2023-11-28 06:44 AM | Reply

Good article and it makes total sense.

I have a young agent who's wife just had a baby. He took the 2 week paid leave we offer employees. It was the first time I'd seen a dad take advantage of that benefit.

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2023-11-28 08:11 AM | Reply

Two weeks, lol.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-28 09:32 AM | Reply

If even eberly is on board I'm going to guess it's a great idea even though it might need to be more than 2 weeks.

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2023-11-28 10:59 AM | Reply

I had 8 weeks paternal leave from the company I was working for when my son was born. Had to start using it within a month of birth but could use the time in any increments whenever I wanted over the first year.

Most of that month is a blur (yay sleep deprivation) but my wife greatly appreciated the constant help and, although I know it's anecdotal and unprovable, I notice my son is more comfortable with me than friends and extended family who have young children seem to be with their young children who they didn't take time with that early. Whereas their kids seem to prefer mom for everything, the wife and I are pretty interchangeable as far as he's concerned.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2023-11-28 12:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

" #6 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2023-11-28 12:27 PM | FLAG: "

It's great that you were able to do that. What you describe makes perfect sense. Infants imprint, for lack of a better word, with those who they spend time with early.

#7 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-11-28 12:34 PM | Reply

I think it really depends on the parents.

I mean...look at all the men who have children and don't work jobs at all.

What values are those fathers imprinting on their children?

This article is a bit of a stretch.

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2023-11-29 09:36 PM | Reply

I do agree maternal instincts come more natural for women due to hormones and paternal instincts are learned.

But it still depends heavily on the parents who take an interest in their children...or not.

#9 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2023-11-29 09:42 PM | Reply

We give employees meaning moms and dads 2 weeks paid time.

But moms can take 13 weeks sick time and many take it along with the 2 weeks.

the moms at my place of work take an average of 12 weeks off. Paid

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2023-11-29 09:45 PM | Reply

I'm not surprised at any of that. Makes total sense.

Good for you.

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2023-11-29 09:54 PM | Reply

@#6 ... Took his first four weeks off and will recommend that to anyone who will ask my opinion on the matter and has the time available to use.

Yeah, no surprise.

Your son has bonded with you and your wife at an early age.

Your and your wife were both there during that critical bonding time.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-29 10:07 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable