Tuesday, November 28, 2023

After 151 years, Popular Science will no longer be available to purchase as a magazine. Cathy Hebert, the communications director for PopSci owner Recurrent Ventures, says the outlet needs to "evolve" beyond its magazine product, which published its first all-digital issue in 2021.

Comments

More from the article...

... PopSci, which covers a whole range of stories related to the fields of science, technology, and nature, published its first issue in 1872. Things have changed a lot over the years, with the magazine switching to a quarterly publication schedule in 2018 and doing away with the physical copies altogether after 2020. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-28 12:29 AM | Reply

Sad.

I grew up on Popular Science.

#2 | Posted by Monkeybars at 2023-11-28 05:37 AM | Reply

I was stuck in a dead end job and sporadically I borrowed their magazines off the shelves my work place.

From them I learned about alchemy being the parent of chemistry, about schizophrenia possibly being caused by RNA, about the pros and cons of magical thinking, about discrimination against Christians in science, and other important wonderful and terrifying information. I worry about this Magazine's future.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2023-11-28 10:54 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

My dad subscribed to PM, among others like National Geographic and Flying Magazine.

I read PM and the others cover to cover every month. I learned a lot and my interests grew.

#4 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2023-11-28 12:57 PM | Reply

#2 indeed. v sad day. Great magazine.

indicative of the mental state of our country,
when science and engineering mags and even astronomy mags
struggle, yet crap like the Kardashians, the Bachelor,
Love Island, and Survivor rule the air waves...

#5 | Posted by earthmuse at 2023-11-28 02:02 PM | Reply

Print is dead, basically.

Or let's put it this way: There is a very limited audience for newspapers and magazines. Same with other physical media, such as books, records and movies. Sign of the times.

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2023-11-28 02:08 PM | Reply

If you don't own a physical copy of the media like a book or a CD you don't really own it at all.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2023-11-28 02:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | POSTED BY TOR AT 2023-11-28 02:32 PM | FLAG:

OK, boomer. ;)

But yeah, I have maybe 1500 records and CDs, hundreds of DVDs and even VHS vids from when my kids were little, and many hundreds of books. I'm not the least bit a Luddite, subscribing to numerous streaming services and using my new iPhone for everything, but I do greatly enjoy having something I can hold in my hands.

#8 | Posted by cbob at 2023-11-28 02:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Streaming media is no different than paying every day to borrow something from somebody else. At any moment you can be denied access.

I do consider media that you actually have downloaded onto a hard drive that you physically possess to be media in your possession.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2023-11-28 02:47 PM | Reply

#7 that's not true.

#10 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-11-28 03:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by Tor

Print it. Save a copy as a PDF. Etc. Download a copy. I have done that with movies on my system. I use Apple for purchasing music and I haven't bothered to save a non-apple copy in years I should rip all my music to lossless FLAC audio files so Apple can't make them disappear as happens when they get into arguments with publishers. Of course that is against the Terms of Use so I guess I would never ever do it...

I have a few hundred books on the shelf, hundreds of CDs. I burned all the CDs years ago to lossless format (FLAC). I turned all my VHS and DVDs over to charity a few years ago. I never ever pulled them out and hadn't even had a DVD player hooked up in years - not to mention a VHS... Although - I think I have a VHS player still. I know I have a DVD player.

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2023-11-28 05:05 PM | Reply

Growing up, my father subscribed to 'Popular Mechanics'. He considered 'Popular Science' as being a couple of steps above his high school drop-out status, whereas PM was closer to where he lived and worked.

OCU

#12 | Posted by OCUser at 2023-11-28 07:37 PM | Reply

That's a bummer. I enjoyed that magazine as a kid, but I feel like it got a little conspiracy-ish and pseudo-sciencey in recent years.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-28 10:37 PM | Reply

#12 Oooh I was thinking of Popular Mechanics I bet. And years later I picked up a Popular Science thinking it was Popular Mechanics and thus my opinion above.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-11-28 10:40 PM | Reply

Either PS or PM were great pickups whenever I had nothing to read for an upcoming flight

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2023-11-29 10:47 PM | Reply

@#15

I had a preference for PE, i.e., Popular Electronics.

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-11-29 11:29 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable