Monday, December 04, 2023

Carla Sinclair writes about Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis getting sworn in to office and the search for a bible.

Comments

~The more you get to know Gov DeSantis, the less you like him.~

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-03 07:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's not like it's hard to find a Bible in this country...unless you don't want one.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-03 07:35 PM | Reply

@#2 ... ... It's not like it's hard to find a Bible in this country. ...

Tell me about it.

I've got two on the end table a foot or so from me now, as I sit on the sofa in the living room here.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-03 08:00 PM | Reply

If DeSantis is such a big self-professed Christian why didn't he just borrow one from his church? What? He only talks an evangelical big game.

We have a Bible in the living room and another in the bedroom. And we don't go to church 'cause they're full of hypocrites.

#4 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2023-12-03 08:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm not religious, and I still have my grandmother's old King James. It seems like an ancient relic, a part of history. It's got her notes in the margins, underlined passages. I might even have it rebound.

So, even a heathen like me has a bible, but not Ronny?

#5 | Posted by horstngraben at 2023-12-03 08:21 PM | Reply

I have neighbors that are deeply into New Age stuff and are admittedly ignorant of Christianity but I have no doubt they do own a Bible.

For an Evangelical to not own one says a lot about him.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-03 08:27 PM | Reply

@#6 ... For an Evangelical to not own one says a lot about him. ...

Two questions:

1) Why do you think that Evangelicals need to own a Bible?

2) Why do you seem to judge people based upon what they own?

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-03 09:18 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-03 10:16 PM | Reply

@#8 ... It doesn't seem strange that a self-described Christian wouldn't have a copy of his own theology? ...

Yeah, that's the thing.

I do not necessarily disagree with you in that aspect.

But then, there is also the question I posed in #7...

... 2) Why do you seem to judge people based upon what they own? ...

4 Non Blondes - What's Up (1992)
www.youtube.com

(and to those who say I post ancient songs, look, I'm in the 90's now... :)   )

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-03 11:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If it was say name brand shoes or a car I'd agree with you.

I don't know what's going on there but it's creepy.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-04 03:11 AM | Reply

@#10 ... But seeing a modern self described American Christian who doesn't own a Bible despite clearly being rich is like seeing a mansion with it's windows boarded up.

I don't know what's going on there but it's creepy. ...

Creepy is not a description I might ascribe to that.

Maybe they are in to an e-book version of the Bible, and they have leased an e-book version of the Bible.

The thing now seems to be, if you cannot view it on your smartphone, it does no exist.

There are times when I hold my Bible to my chest, near my heart. I do not know why, or even try to understand why I do that.

But I will say, and admit, that there is something about that book that is different and special.

The aspect of that which makes me wonder is, why do I do that. Why does it seem to bring comfort to me?

It is definitely not due to what I see and hear from current Christian preachers.

Yeah, there's more than we know or understand.

I'll leave it there for now...

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-04 03:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've got one, but they wouldn't like it.
~ Thos. Jefferson

#12 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2023-12-04 06:00 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

4 Non Blondes - What's Up (1992)
www.youtube.com
(and to those who say I post ancient songs, look, I'm in the 90's now... :) )
#9 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

I was listening to John Hiatt and Uncle Tupelo this morning. But who can say no to 4 Non Blondes?

#13 | Posted by Sycophant at 2023-12-04 10:20 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

An evangelical like Desantos is supposed to be immersed in the word. I would bet all my future votes that he wasn't depending on an e'book version to get his daily readings.
We have several bibles in the house. 3 from confirmation, 2 inherited, the St. John's Illuminated Bible and a couple of others.
saintjohnsbible.org St. John's University is just up the road near Lake Woebegon so we followed the bible's creation and bought it when it came out. It is a work of art.

#14 | Posted by mattm at 2023-12-04 10:24 AM | Reply

"But who can say no to 4 Non Blondes?"

Oh my god do I try...

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-04 01:03 PM | Reply

He couldn't even steal one from a hotel room? DeSantis is definitely NOT qualified to lead.

#16 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-12-04 02:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The governor isn't so poor he has to steal books from a hotel. He's subliterate.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-04 03:11 PM | Reply

You fail to understand the subtle humor in the fact that Ron, like any other dishonest and hypocritical Republicans, would typically have absolutely no reason to even steal a Bible, much less purchase one, except for show. He doesn't actually GaF about anything but Ron.

#18 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-12-04 05:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I thought it was funny when Trump talked about two Corinthians. It's not so funny that his chief opponent in the primaries seems to have the same problem.

#19 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-04 07:00 PM | Reply

Fake plastic Christians acting like fake plastic Christians.

Nothing new about that.

The only thing missing is the begging for donations because god doesn't know how to handle money and he needs yours.

Oops.

That's actually not missing. They need a lot of your maga money to act this stupid.

Apparently.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2023-12-04 10:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

DeSantis scrambles to find his pants in the morning.

#21 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2023-12-05 01:50 PM | Reply

The more you get to know Gov DeSantis, the less you like him.~
#1 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

It seems that the GOP rank and file fall for a lot of people who fit into that same exact description. Politicians who are shiny and attractive in a superficial way. But upon actual close examination are all hypocrisy and fluff.

#22 | Posted by moder8 at 2023-12-06 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

To be fair, some people are said to be using their Bibles for rolling papers. Just Sayin'.

#23 | Posted by john47 at 2023-12-06 04:49 PM | Reply

Holy Rollie?

#24 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2023-12-06 05:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Even though I shredded both confirmation and baptismal certificates tears ago, I keep a digital KJV bible as a handy reference tool to refute the Bible wavers and shouters.

#25 | Posted by john47 at 2023-12-06 05:43 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable