Friday, December 08, 2023

Leslie Horton, a traffic reporter with Global News Morning Calgary, was giving her usual traffic report on Nov. 27 when she paused to respond to a rude viewer. "I'm just going to respond to an email that I just got saying, 'Congratulations on your pregnancy," Horton began, while standing in front of the news station's green screen.

Comments

Fat shaming. The last bastion of acceptability in society. I hear people say terrible things to others all the time at work. If I hear them, I call them out on it. I try to keep it civil; but, sometimes, I get so irritated with their chaotic logic I just have to descend to their level to get my point across. Not something I enjoy doing.

#1 | Posted by keystone at 2023-12-08 01:36 PM | Reply

Fat shaming is among the sadder ways of attacking a person for who they are or what they look like. Nobody chooses to be fat. They don't. And anyone who claims that, implicitly most fat people have chosen to be fat, is an ignoramus and an -------.

#2 | Posted by moder8 at 2023-12-08 02:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Canandians. Figures.

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-12-08 02:03 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by moder8

Semantics.

They choose to take the actions that result in them being fat.

#4 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2023-12-08 02:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I disagree. If one is an ------- (ie Trump) their fatness is fair game. I don't go around fat shaming normal people. There is no moral high ground when dealing with -------s.

#5 | Posted by a_monson at 2023-12-08 03:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

First they came for our hot stewardesses, and I did not speak out. Then they came for our sexy secretaries, and I did not speak out. And now they come for our babealicious weather bunnies, and still I do not speak...

#6 | Posted by censored at 2023-12-08 03:31 PM | Reply

Making fun of people's weight is usually tacky and a sign of low intelligence.

That being said there are times when I have done it and I will continue to do it.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2023-12-08 03:33 PM | Reply

" Trump owed tens of millions to Bank of China

The president's financial dealings with the state-owned bank complicate his attacks on Biden."

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2023-12-08 03:37 PM | Reply

wrong thread

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2023-12-08 03:38 PM | Reply

"Fat shaming. The last bastion of acceptability in society."

It's becoming somewhat less as Americans get fatter and fatter. Being fat is at least normalized now, represented on TV commercials.

Trans shaming is where The Right has found a small out-group they can safely scapegoat, to great effect. As seen on this website.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-12-08 03:40 PM | Reply

pretty unprofessional to address some ------- insulting her in an email.

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2023-12-08 03:44 PM | Reply

Like she's really just addressing one person. And not the culture that is okay with what that one person is doing.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-12-08 03:48 PM | Reply

Do Fetanyl or Heroin addicts choose to be addicted? If you think for even a micro-second that the answer is 'yes', then you have a LOT to learn.

#13 | Posted by moder8 at 2023-12-08 04:17 PM | Reply

-Do Fetanyl or Heroin addicts choose to be addicted?

No but we recognize what they are doing to themselves as dangerous and that they are "addicts". Meaning they suffer from an addiction that renders them a danger to themselves and their health.

Alcohol and drug addicts are treated like the addicts they are...starting with an intervention and they are sent off to rehab, then eventually go to meetings and address their addiction for much of the rest of their life.

We don't haul overweight people off to rehab despite the fact they are also a danger to themselves nor do we accept they suffer from an "addiction".

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2023-12-08 04:35 PM | Reply

She's a little overweight but she's not some great big tub of lard.

#15 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-12-08 04:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The insult is kinda funny.

#16 | Posted by BellRinger at 2023-12-08 04:42 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Wow! If that treatment is available to everyone, I guess you live in a more progressive place than I do. In most places, treatment is still not widely available to those who need it most, or can afford it least. And those with severe substance abuse problems are treated like pariah and vilified.

But what you describe may be true in many white, upper middle class households.

#17 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2023-12-08 05:12 PM | Reply

Most group health policies I see or hear about include coverage for inpatient treatment for substance abuse. 30 days coverage. I think that's pretty standard.

so it's not that unavailable.

and it's an industry you see everywhere.

Now, does such an industry exist for addicts suffering with obesity? Considering how many obese people we have, perhaps its the most under addressed addiction we face in our society.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2023-12-08 05:20 PM | Reply

'Congratulations on your pregnancy'

I learned a long time ago never to utter these words until the woman announced it to the world. Way too many misleadingly-plump ladies out there make any assumptions.

#19 | Posted by censored at 2023-12-08 05:20 PM | Reply

Making fun of people's weight is usually tacky and a sign of low intelligence.

I believe the individual just wanted a better looking weather lady.
akns-images.eonline.com

I am not saying its right, but I understand.

#20 | Posted by oneironaut at 2023-12-08 06:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I believe the individual just wanted a better looking weather lady."

If that's all he wanted, he would have changed the channel.

He wanted to be a Deplorable piece of ----.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2023-12-08 06:24 PM | Reply

Like everybody has a group health policy. Beverly was born on third base and tells us all he hit a triple.

#22 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-12-09 09:18 PM | Reply

@#19 ... I learned a long time ago never to utter these words until the woman announced it to the world. ...

Yup.

Yup.

Yup.

(multiplicity intended)

#23 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-09 09:24 PM | Reply

@#21 ... He wanted to be a Deplorable piece of ----. ...

Did here learn from his mistake, as I did a few decades ago?

What seems to be his ability to learn from mistakes?

OK, maybe, the first question I should ask is whether or not he considers his question to be a mistake, and go from there.

#24 | Posted by LampLighter at 2023-12-09 09:27 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable