Friday, December 08, 2023

Ryan O'Neil, who became a movie star from his 1970 film Love Story in 1970 and went on to star three years later with his daughter Tatum in Paper Moon, died Friday. He was 82. Tatum won best supporting actress at age 10 for that film and she and Ryan had a fractious relationship over the decades.

Comments

What's Up Doc and Barry Lyndon.
Love Story and Paper Moon.

Other than that...meh.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-12-08 05:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My favorite of his movies was Paper Moon, which I saw as a kid when I was no older than Tatum O'Neal in the movie. Back then you didn't get to see movies where a kid played a scoundrel in a world of adults. Tatum was terrific in that and a well-deserving recipient of an Oscar.

It was sad to see their real-life relationship so difficult, usually because of things he did or said.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2023-12-08 05:59 PM | Reply

Love Story was sweet, but sappy, made at the beginning of a new decade that had ended with Dustin Hoffman's Th Graduate, which couldn't have been more different.

RIP

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2023-12-08 06:20 PM | Reply

Coincidentally (I have to remind myself what 'ironic' means) I saw a short vid the other day where Ryan was recalling that Stanley Kubrick asked him if he'd consider cutting his leg off for the final Barry Lyndon scenes.
"We've got an ambulance on standby...would take about 15 minutes...."
He wasn't sure if Stanley was joking or not.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-12-08 06:38 PM | Reply

Weird, last night I was trying to remember who starred in a 70's movie about a pro hockey player and his dying girlfriend. It was not Love Story, but of course, that film came up, which sent me down a Ryan O'Neal rabbit hole, and I never did answer my original question. Anyway, most people wouldn't rate this as one of his best movies because it was an ensemble cast, but one of my all-time favorite war movies was "A Bridge Too Far." Great film, and I vividly remember Ryan O'Neal, because I didn't recognize him when I saw it in elementary school, but did later when I saw it as a teenager.

#5 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2023-12-08 06:51 PM | Reply

That movie had everybody in it. Not bad.

#6 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2023-12-08 07:08 PM | Reply

For years, he dated the most desired woman in the world (Farrah Fawcett). A life lived fully.

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2023-12-08 07:11 PM | Reply

Paper Moon was a hit because Americans love con artists and cheaters.
Hence the election of TFG.

#8 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2023-12-08 08:22 PM | Reply

Is the movie about the hockey player Ice Castles with Robby Benson and Lynn-Holly Johnson? She wasn't dying but she did lose her sight and they wrung all the drama they could out of that.

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2023-12-08 08:29 PM | Reply

At the end of What's Up, Doc?, a screwball comedy with O'Neal and Barbara Streisand, they're flying off into the sunset, the Doc flubs something, then apologizes.

Streisand's character responds, "Love means never having to say you're sorry".

O'Neal's character responds ...

"That's the dumbest thing I ever heard!"

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2023-12-08 08:41 PM | Reply

This thread has really exposed the boomers among us ... .

#11 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2023-12-08 10:26 PM | Reply

The movie I was looking for was 1971's Face Off. She wasn't dying (must have gotten that from Love Story), she just hated that he was a goon. I just watched the theatrical preview and it was awful! But for an 8-year-old boy who loved hockey, it was awesome that it featured hockey, and had some real NHLers in it.

#12 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2023-12-09 04:58 AM | Reply

Never a fan of O'Neil - he just never struck me as being a good actor - but Stanley Kubrick s casting him for the title role in Barry Lyndon gave him a fine legacy of a film.

#13 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2023-12-09 05:44 AM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable