Saturday, February 10, 2024

In a trial by European carrier Finnair at its Helsinki Airport hub, volunteer passengers are being weighed at the departure gate in order to allow the airline to refine weight estimates for planes before takeoff.

Comments

I remember flying one time where a stranger sitting next to me asked/insisted that I raise my armrest to give her more space. I acquiesced and contorted my body to make room for her corpulence. Most uncomfortable flight I ever had; luckily only about three hours.

That is all.

#1 | Posted by censored at 2024-02-08 05:35 PM | Reply

This will not end in a happy place.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2024-02-08 06:33 PM | Reply

Thank God I don't fly. WOWZER.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2024-02-08 06:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The words you never want to hear from a seat mate - "Can I have a seatbelt extender?"

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2024-02-08 08:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

If you fly enough, you'll see it happen.

#5 | Posted by madbomber at 2024-02-10 08:17 AM | Reply

I've seen it happen. That's why I said it.

#6 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2024-02-10 10:50 AM | Reply

When I was flying on Southwest a few years ago the passenger next to me had a roll of fat that extended over and under the armrest. I discretely asked the stewardess if she could move me to another seat. She took stock of the situation and moved me to an empty seat in First Class. No extra charge.

In my opinion, that overweight passenger posed a danger to other passengers (namely me) in the event of an emergency exit.

I've since believed that airlines should have something called Cargo Class.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2024-02-10 11:30 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Speaking of land whales and planes, here's the demented------------ waddling up the stairs of Air Force One with --------- toilet paper stuck to his shoe.

www.mediaite.com

#8 | Posted by Reinheitsgebot at 2024-02-10 11:33 AM | Reply

I've since believed that airlines should have something called Cargo Class.

I think a "Passenger Sizing Device" like they have for carry on bags would work. If you can't fit, you pay more for a bigger seat.

This is Finnair, so chances are there are not so many giant blubberhounds.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2024-02-10 11:42 AM | Reply

Southwest has First Class? Maybe I just never noticed.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2024-02-10 11:53 AM | Reply

Southwest doesn't have first class...

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2024-02-10 12:18 PM | Reply

JPW

That's probably why I wasn't charged extra. They put me in a seat in the front of the passenger section which I assumed was First Class. I didn't ask any questions.

#12 | Posted by Twinpac at 2024-02-10 12:24 PM | Reply

"They put me in a seat in the front of the passenger section"

Nope. Not on Southwest.

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2024-02-10 12:58 PM | Reply

Some airlines have a "Premium Economy" section at the front. Same seats but you geta free drink.

Never flew Southwest so I have no idea.

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2024-02-10 01:01 PM | Reply

"The Guide to Southwest Business Select, The Airline's First' Class": Southwest's version of first class isn't like other full-service carriers' premium cabins. Nerdwallet.com

#15 | Posted by censored at 2024-02-10 01:15 PM | Reply

Sold out flight. Middle seat. Person on my left and on my right had seat belt extenders. I couldn't even sit back. I fell asleep leaning forward, pinned in place.

#16 | Posted by YAV at 2024-02-10 01:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Charge by the pound just like USPS. Why the fretting? Incentivize society to become healthier by losing weight. But make the savings and cost realistic.

#17 | Posted by Robson at 2024-02-10 07:20 PM | Reply

I was once in the second row as the passengers iloading in the front were arguing over one remaining bulkhead seat. One had a foot in a cast another had some sort of leg vein issue and the third guy was already seated quietly in the window seat. Suddenly he said, "Well hell, I don't have ANY legs, you can have the damned seat" And he vaulted himself over the top of the seat nearly landing in my lap. He kept me laughing the rest of the flight. Best seatmate ever.

#18 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2024-02-11 02:05 AM | Reply

to allow the airline to refine weight estimates for planes before takeoff

I've been on planes so small the pilot sizes you up before you get on and tells you where to sit. Imbalance is a real concern. But if this relates to safety i am a little surprised airlines weren't already doing it.

#19 | Posted by JOE at 2024-02-11 07:33 AM | Reply

Charge by the pound just like USPS

People with small children would fly more if that were the case, and the haters would seethe.

#20 | Posted by JOE at 2024-02-11 07:37 AM | Reply

I suspect they already were, just based on average weights of the population in general. Finnair is just trying to fine tune it.

I suspect they are more interested in the carry-on bag weights than the people. Folks jam a lot of stuff in those these days to avoid paying for a checked bag.

#21 | Posted by REDIAL at 2024-02-11 12:41 PM | Reply

My guess is they're looking for ways to not have to carry around quite as much reserve fuel.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2024-02-11 12:51 PM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable