Monday, February 12, 2024

Using a common passwords could put you at risk from being hacked or falling for a cyber-scam. The problem is recalling the growing number of passwords that the typical person is required to use.

Comments

More from the article...

...Common Number Combinations

Examinations of data breaches where people's personal information was leaked highlights weak passwords as the primary reason for the breach happening. Some of the most common passwords involved were identified simple, easy-to-remember number combinations like 111111, 12345, 123456, 12345678, 123456789, and 1234567890.

Other number-related examples include Qwerty123, 1q2w3e, and Q2w3e4r5t.

Using a date of birth is also frequent, and using your personal birth date as your password is doubly problematic as this gives hackers another key piece of information about you that they can use to access your accounts.

Common Words Used

Some major examples include people's favourite names or the names of people close to them (such as Eva, Alex, Anna, Max, Ava, Ella, and Leo) and top sports teams (including Suns, Heat, and Liverpool). Others use curse words, cities (like Rome and Lima), and days and seasons (Friday, summer, and winter as examples). People also commonly mention food (words like ice, tea, pie, cookie, and cake).

Other weak passwords include terms like admin, Qwerty, welcome, Password, Password1, or p@ssw0rd. These are extremely common and very easy to guess and put the user at significant risk.

How To Create Strong Passwords ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2024-02-12 12:49 AM | Reply

"The problem is recalling the growing number of passwords that the typical person is required to use."

The problem isn't recall; that is a symptom of the problem. The problem is passwords are a bad idea.

Imagine if every time you had to show ID it was a different ID. Nobody would think this was a good idea if it happened today. But when we came up with passwords, we didn't have 100 apps in our pocket run by strangers.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2024-02-12 01:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Snoofy,

You're beginning to sound like me.

The weakest link in the data chain is the humans who use it.

Between fraud, negligence and simple human error, we're all at risk.

#3 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2024-02-12 08:56 AM | Reply

Shell the couple of bucks it takes and get a password manager service.

I'd recommend 1Password but there are many out there. Just avoid LastPass, they've been hacked too many times to be safe.

#4 | Posted by qcp at 2024-02-12 09:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

The last sentence is something everyone should consider...

"The safest approach is to use a password generator combined with a password manager. Some of the best password generators include LastPass, KeePass, NordPass, RoboForm, and Dashlane".

I would add:
- Use more than 20 Characters. Mine are 30+ if allowed.
- Use MFA when it is an option. I have about 70 Multi-Factor Authentication tokens.
- If you need to be able to type your password... Use a non-sensical phrase that incorporates the other mentioned rules. Ex: G00d.on.Lamp-4Posting%
- Don't use an exclamation or period on the end...

Etc.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2024-02-12 02:08 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by qcp

The scary thing is I am sure they are all targeted so how many have not been hacked? i.e. They don't know they have. The last Lastpass breach was just egregious with no excuse.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2024-02-12 02:11 PM | Reply

No idea, but yeah LastPass in particular shouldn't be trusted.

www.kiplinger.com

#7 | Posted by qcp at 2024-02-12 02:20 PM | Reply

So far, phone verify with a code works best for anything important I have on my computer. One of my two cell phones is designated for just that one purpose and neither cell phone is synced to my computer network in any manner whatsoever.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2024-02-12 05:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have my own system of letters and numbers that makes sense in my head, and I modify it according to each site's password rules. I've had to change up passwords over the years due to database breaches at various websites.

#9 | Posted by hamburglar at 2024-02-12 06:15 PM | Reply

Meh. My passwords for important stuff are secure. My passwords for unimportant stuff are crap.

Guess which one this site is.

#10 | Posted by DarkVader at 2024-02-13 10:54 AM | Reply

Guess which one this site is.

#10 | POSTED BY DARKVADER

This site is my "honeypot".

One of them anyway.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2024-02-13 11:01 AM | Reply

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2024 World Readable